• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

I honestly don't think AVB has learnt his lessons from his time at Chelsea.

Do you think he hasnt? or he is just stubborn to think he is always right?

How I view it the next home game will be imperitive and show whether he learnt lessons from the wigan game cos that game really was fudgein atrocious

Milo made a thread a while ago about change etc.

AVB did it at Chelscum and has maybe done it again at Spurs i.e. change too much too quickly. Imagine you are an employee and a new manager comes in and overhauls anything and everything - how would you react? How will you enjoy it? Imagine if before this new Manager you were enjoying your work you were enjoying your day? Then this Manager comes in and I guess has everything regimental? everything had to be precise?

Maybe thats also a problem. You can have new ideas but not an overhaul but slowly slowly

What?

From what i read on here it's that he's not changing things quickly enough.

Like the Lloris debate, and the Ade debate.

The "mistake" he's accused of at Chelsea was trying to get rid of the old guard too quick right? That's where the main criticism came from no?

First of all I believe that was Roman's instructions to shift a lot of the old players on to make room for the new wave, but when it went south AVB was merely collateral damage. Now with Spurs, AVB hasn't done that, in fact as Spursalot has just said, he's almost gone entirely the other way and is going out of his way to keep the squad he inherited as happy as possible, the only one who seems to have done really badly out of it all is Michael Dawson. Most of the players we sold this summer were gone or going already regardless of AVB - Corluka, Kranjcar, Modric, Giovani, Pienaar etc, the only debatable one is VDV depending on which side of the story you believe. Each of the new signings other than Sigurdsson started their first game on the bench and he has kept largely the same system as last season.

He needs to make two changes, soon. Lloris and Ade in. He needs the injuries to relent and for him to be given the chance with the best team he has available. To keep saying he hasn't learnt his Chelsea lesson just sounds like a lazy media cliche.

Not personnel but tactics and formation.

Our formation really isn't that different to what we played last year...

Dembele has taken Modric's place, Sig/dempsey has taken Vdv's and defoe is up front instead of ade...

Last edited:
The "mistake" he's accused of at Chelsea was trying to get rid of the old guard too quick right? That's where the main criticism came from no?

First of all I believe that was Roman's instructions to shift a lot of the old players on to make room for the new wave, but when it went south AVB was merely collateral damage. Now with Spurs, AVB hasn't done that, in fact as Spursalot has just said, he's almost gone entirely the other way and is going out of his way to keep the squad he inherited as happy as possible, the only one who seems to have done really badly out of it all is Michael Dawson. Most of the players we sold this summer were gone or going already regardless of AVB - Corluka, Kranjcar, Modric, Giovani, Pienaar etc, the only debatable one is VDV depending on which side of the story you believe. Each of the new signings other than Sigurdsson started their first game on the bench and he has kept largely the same system as last season.

He needs to make two changes, soon. Lloris and Ade in. He needs the injuries to relent and for him to be given the chance with the best team he has available. To keep saying he hasn't learnt his Chelsea lesson just sounds like a lazy media cliche.

Bang on.

Our formation really isn't that different to what we played last year...

Dembele has taken Modric's place, Sig/dempsey has taken Vdv's and defoe is up front instead of ade...

You mentioned personnel there and im not really talking about the personnel as the formation and tactics would still be the same regardless. It is the combination of a change in mentality, tactics and formation it really is an overhaul if you look at it - you are changing from playing your natural game to playing something regimental and it is. You run at 36 degree angle and that guy will run at a 37 degree angle therefore the defending opposition wont see him running behind you. That may well be an over exaggeration but you get the jist

A phased approach maybe would have been better

You mentioned personnel there and im not really talking about the personnel as the formation and tactics would still be the same regardless. It is the combination of a change in mentality, tactics and formation it really is an overhaul if you look at it - you are changing from playing your natural game to playing something regimental and it is. You run at 36 degree angle and that guy will run at a 37 degree angle therefore the defending opposition wont see him running behind you. That may well be an over exaggeration but you get the jist

A phased approach maybe would have been better

I disagree. The majority of his 'tactical ideas' seem in theory to try and compliment each other. To introduce only one or two and leave the rest out would be highly counter-productive.

Also that degrees stuff is a load of gonad*s and you probably know it.

Last edited:
I don't see what's wrong with how we are playing given our personnel and the state of our readiness.
Would Harry have done much better? We went through a second half of season collapse even with Modric and VDV around with him!

Considering injuries, the late transfers, Bale needing time off... its been a competent performance by AVB and the table shows for it.

I don't see what's wrong with how we are playing given our personnel and the state of our readiness.
Would Harry have done much better? We went through a second half of season collapse even with Modric and VDV around with him!

Considering injuries, the late transfers, Bale needing time off... its been a competent performance by AVB and the table shows for it.

We're not playing great and results are poor at home. 5th only masks over the problems we've currently got IMO. More worrying, for me, is our style if football. It's boring and not working.

I disagree. The majority of his 'tactical ideas' seem in theory to try and compliment each other. To introduce only one or two and leave the rest out would be highly counter-productive.

Also that degrees stuff is a load of gonad*s and you probably know it.

I bet it aint gonad*s - I may have over exaggerated a bit but the principle remains - i.e. being so so precise. Didnt he write a book or something on football and his tactics or something like that. You dont need to be precise as that hinders players playing their natural game. We have some good players who are naturally good but only if theyre allowed to play their game.

You can prepare a team to face the opposition i.e. know the opponents strengths and weakness and apply a team to that (if you want to concern yourself with what the other team do).

To be frank none of us know what AVB says or thinks its all on the pitch and this season the performances havent been that great or exciting and we have been under pressure a lot giving the opponents the onus and we have also conceded so many late goals resulting in a fair number of dropped points.

I bet it aint gonad*s - I may have over exaggerated a bit but the principle remains - i.e. being so so precise. Didnt he write a book or something on football and his tactics or something like that. You dont need to be precise as that hinders players playing their natural game. We have some good players who are naturally good but only if theyre allowed to play their game.

You can prepare a team to face the opposition i.e. know the opponents strengths and weakness and apply a team to that (if you want to concern yourself with what the other team do).

To be frank none of us know what AVB says or thinks its all on the pitch and this season the performances havent been that great or exciting and we have been under pressure a lot giving the opponents the onus and we have also conceded so many late goals resulting in a fair number of dropped points.

It is very hard to prove or disprove, pretty much impossible, without being a fly on the wall.

We have been giving the opponents the chance to get at us late on in games, which is a problem that should be solved. Surely the fact that we are mostly conceding late goals must lead you to believe the tactics that he is giving the squad can't be all bad, because they usually work, to a certain degree, for the first 70-80 minutes?

Last edited:
You have to give due credit to AVB for never blaming the injury problems for our recent poor form. He could have easily blamed our defeat to Wigan on Sandro getting injured early on. But he didn't. Similiarly, I don't think he has mentioned the fact we are still missing the likes of Dembele, Kaboul, BAE and Parker. Most managers, including Redknapp, would always blame the injury problems whenever their team lose. But AVB seems more intend on using the available team instead of being bothered by the injured players.

I think we can only judge AVB's performances as a Spurs manager when he is able to field all our best 11 players. It is silly for the media and the fans to question AVB now when so many important players are missing.

Spurs boss prepared to promote development players as injuries continue to bite

By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent Tuesday, November 6, 2012
12:00 PM

Andre Villas-Boas says he is prepared to put his faith in Tottenham’s young stars to bolster his injury-ravaged squad.

Comments
Email
Print

Spurs have won just one and lost three of their last five games since the international break, beating basement boys Southampton and drawing 1-1 with Maribor in Slovenia while suffering reverses against Chelsea, Norwich and Wigan.

The growing lost of absentees has certainly not helped. Mousa Dembele recently joined Younes Kaboul, Scott Parker and Benoit Assou-Ekotto in the treatment room, while Jake Livermore suffered an ankle injury at Norwich last Wednesday and Sandro was withdrawn during the first half against Wigan.

However, 20-year-old Tom Carroll has played in Spurs’ last two games, and Villas-Boas has hinted that he may also turn to 21-year-old Ryan Mason as Spurs’ hectic fixture schedule continues.

“We are going past an important period in terms of the availability of our players,” said the head coach. “We have a couple of injuries which we have to take into account, but we have good development team players coming through.

“Tom Carroll had an amazing game against Norwich [in the Capital One Cup] so he’s another further option. Mason has returned from injury too, so we will count on their work as well.

“We have picked up long-term and medium-term injuries to people who were extremely influential in the past. We don’t have enough in depth in the squad to keep us rotating and to keep us fresh all the time.

“The players that are working with us are on a run of games that is massive for them in terms of the effort they put in, but they have been doing extremely well and what we can look forward to is the recovery of these players from injury. That can be an addition in terms of further options and quality.”

Meanwhile, Villas-Boas will continue to monitor the progress of 21-year-old right-back Adam Smith, who joined Millwall on loan last week.

“We’re going to keep an eye on him,” said the Tottenham boss. “It was important for Adam to go out, he didn’t have the opportunities that he maybe expected.

“He competes against the best – [Kyle] Walker and also [Kyle] Naughton are more experienced than him. It’s good for him to have this period on loan, hopefully with a view to bringing him back.

“He made it to the [England] Under-21 squad recently, so that’s a good, positive sign for him and hopefully he’ll get more playing time onboard and then we’ll see what happens.”

He's not even making the same mistake he made at chelsea so how anyone can say he hasn't learnt from his mistakes is beyond me. His main problem imo is that he persists with this pressing tactic at home. Once we start sacrifising possesion to the opposition in order for them to feel comfortable then we'll be ok but i don't know if he's willing to change it.

He's not even making the same mistake he made at chelsea so how anyone can say he hasn't learnt from his mistakes is beyond me. His main problem imo is that he persists with this pressing tactic at home. Once we start sacrifising possesion to the opposition in order for them to feel comfortable then we'll be ok but i don't know if he's willing to change it.

Sorry - just to confirm - you want to intentionally give away possession to the opposition and have us chasing the ball?

Back