• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Could the timing of this game be any worse for AVB? I would guess he looked for the date of this fixture first when he took on the job. Can you imagine how his mind is spinning now with the permutations involved with the result?

Could the timing of this game be any worse for AVB? I would guess he looked for the date of this fixture first when he took on the job. Can you imagine how his mind is spinning now with the permutations involved with the result?

Finally put together a winning streak, have taken 3 points and 3 goals at Old Trafford and the team is in high spirits. I think the timing is about as good as it could be really. International break sees our players out on Tuesday, rather than Thursday as with Europa so there is a decent recovery time. I can't think of a better time.

I am excited and can't wait for this game and I am guessing so is AVB. I am incredibly frustrated with the hiatus and again I am guessing so is he.

I am excited and can't wait for this game and I am guessing so is AVB. I am incredibly frustrated with the hiatus and again I am guessing so is he.

No offence. You said could the timing be any worse?

- off the back of a loss
- off the back of a losing streak
- first game of the season
- any time in August whilst Levy is still fudging around
- any time directly after August whilst the squad is settling
- middle of the Christmas period when the players are knackered and we have injuries

I can think of plenty worse times than after an international in which a load of our players have scored.

I am sure he would rather have all the players back and be sure of their fitness and be working on tactics rather than sitting indoors counting the days and praying for no injuries.
But maybe he is sitting in a comfy chair smoking a cigar and watching Eastenders.

I am sure he would rather have all the players back and be sure of their fitness and be working on tactics rather than sitting indoors counting the days and praying for no injuries.
But maybe he is sitting in a comfy chair smoking a cigar and watching Eastenders.
He's probably writing an in-depth tactical dossier on how to take over the arch and start running the Vic behind Peggy's back. Been a while since I last watched Eastenders, mind.

Chelsea failure could be the making of Andre Villas-Boas at Tottenham Hotspur if he's learned his lessons

At the end of Saturday’s compelling Derby at White Hart Lane, a cruel chant arose from the Chelsea fans. “Andre, Andre, what’s the score?” they asked their former manager.

It must have been all the more painful for Andre Villas-Boas that three of the visitors’ goals were scored by Gary Cahill and Juan Mata (twice), players he brought to the Bridge.

Chelsea’s glee club promptly turned to lauding their current manager, chorusing: “There’s only one Di Matteo.’’ Since stepping in after Villas-Boas’ dismissal, Roberto Di Matteo has led Chelsea to the FA Cup, to the Champions League and, this season, to the top of the Premier League with some magical attacking football.

The club has benefited immeasurably from Villas-Boas’ departure and Di Matteo’s elevation, but that does not mean the Portuguese will be a failure at Spurs. That chastening experience at the Bridge may have made him a better manager.

His greatest mistake at Chelsea was not understanding the culture of the dressing-room there, the powerful personalities that lurked within. He went for revolution, rather than evolution, and was ultimately ousted by those he sought to change.

He seems far more engaged with his players now, very tactile when they near the dugout for a spot of advice or a gulp of water. He was totally committed to Gareth Bale’s decision to miss the match to be with his pregnant partner, even avoiding questions by emphasising that it was a personal issue. This was a caring manager.

He has learned that the first rule of the Premier League is man-management, appreciating the feelings and foibles of the flesh and blood that make up a squad.

He observed at the weekend that English football is “rich tactically but it is a game led by emotions from the stands and the players. It is more about motivation and passion rather than tactical and opponent preparation”.

Lacking the proliferation of the kind of strong characters inhabiting the Chelsea dressing-room, Spurs’ squad may be more amenable to change anyway. The arrival of some new players will also have diluted any possible resistance.

Sensibly, Villas-Boas is tweaking rather than overhauling the team, easing in new players such as Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembélé (much-missed on Saturday) and Jan Vertonghen within the framework of more established stars. Spurs’ potential under Villas-Boas was shown in their famous victory at Old Trafford.

He has put his faith in Jermain Defoe ahead of Emmanuel Adebayor and the Englishman has responded well. Aaron Lennon looks a real right-sided force again. Saturday’s defeat had more to do with individual mistakes (such as from William Gallas) than any structural weakness in the system Villas-Boas is trying to instill. Even this reverse was not greeted with much dismay on the terraces; Spurs were without arguably their two best players, Dembele and Bale, rallied magnificently if briefly after the break, and were simply beaten by a side brimming with technical expertise.

Financial limitations prevent Spurs buying from the star market. They have to go for the like Gylfi Sigurdsson and Dempsey, good players but not in the class of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Mata.

There seemed little rancour in his eyes when Villas-Boas encountered his nemesis in blue. Three minutes before kick-off, he strolled from the tunnel, immaculately dressed in a neat dark suit with a Children in Need Pudsey sticker on one lapel. Smiling, he hugged Di Matteo, shook hands with Steve Holland, Eddie Newton, and then walked over to Frank Lampard, whose relegation to the bench against Napoli last season caused such consternation. That decision by Villas-Boas seemed an attempt to confront the senior statesmen, trying to prove who was boss, a costly mistake. Lampard rose and shook Villas-Boas’s hand.

While the sight of Lampard on the Chelsea bench now is simply hailed as a sign of the Premier League pacesetters’ huge strength in depth, the sight of Michael Dawson, Spurs’ erstwhile captain, sitting on the bench behind Villas-Boas likewise hardly raises comment now. Villas-Boas has taken a look at his squad, looked at Steven Caulker and promoted the youngster.

Criticised for narrowing the lines of communication at Chelsea, Villas-Boas was constantly conversing with his players here. He even ventured down the touchline to talk to Lennon, who was trying to work out how to navigate a path past the exceptional Ashley Cole.

He tried to influence the game’s flow, a trick he failed to master at the Bridge. Chelsea were in control, and Spurs’ midfield of Sandro and Tom Huddlestone were being overrun by sharper, hungrier men in blue shirts. They clearly lacked cohesion. So Villas-Boas tried to shake up his attack, switching Sigurdsson from the centre to the left and bringing in Dempsey to play off Defoe.

Di Matteo merely sat there, a figure of complete composure, watching his players piece together moves flowing partly from their fertile imaginations and quick feet and also from hard work done at Cobham.

They all seemed in total harmony with each other. Spurs, though, remain an orchestra still learning their notes, and Villas-Boas resembled a conductor still engaged in rehearsals.

He kept accentuating any positive, saluting any contribution. A smart clearance from Kyle Walker was acknowledged by his manager. Lennon was loudly clapped for tracking back to help out his defence. Real urgency flowed from the fans, confirming Villas-Boas’ point about what shapes games in England.

“Fight,” one shouted. “Come on, this is personal,’’ screamed another. This was a derby match, against Chelsea, whose own supporters were throwing inflatable European Cups around and crowing loudly at their own side’s command performance.

Accused of not listening at Chelsea, Villas-Boas was certainly prepared to hear his players’ concerns. During breaks in play, he held mini-summits by the dugout, first with Huddlestone and Gallas, and then a longer, separate one with Gallas.

He clearly had words at the break. Spurs emerged a different beast, as aggressive as they had been weak before. After Gallas and Defoe briefly turned the game on its head, Villas-Boas celebrated with a little jig. If he preferred the quickstep, his assistant Steffen Freund was pure pogoing punk. Sky had one camera almost permanently on the Spurs bench.

Tranquillity reigned in the Chelsea dugout. Di Matteo exudes such self-possession, radiating a belief in his players that he does not see the need for any agitation. His faith was rewarded by Mata twice and then Daniel Sturridge, giving Chelsea a deserved win.

At the final whistle, Di Matteo was dignity personified, embracing Villas-Boas as Chelsea fans delivered their caustic critique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9623412/Chelsea-failure-could-be-the-making-of-Andre-Villas-Boas-at-Tottenham-Hotspur-if-hes-learned-his-lessons.html

An interesting team selection today from AVB. It was a bit square pegs in round holes and it was interesting that he favoured experience over like for like replacements. I think that most managers would have made the same decisions but I think we learnt a little bit more about him today.

An interesting team selection today from AVB. It was a bit square pegs in round holes and it was interesting that he favoured experience over like for like replacements. I think that most managers would have made the same decisions but I think we learnt a little bit more about him today.

To be honest, you don't want to play inexperienced players against chelsea when they're in this kind of form. Getting dominated in games like this can break players as we've seen on twitter today with Walker.

To be honest, you don't want to play inexperienced players against chelsea when they're in this kind of form. Getting dominated in games like this can break players as we've seen on twitter today with Walker.

I agree which is why I said most managers would make the same decisions.

I missed the Twitter thing, what was that?

Walker has quit twitter after abuse from spurs 'fans'.

That is so sad when fans can't limit themselves in terms of how they show theor fustrations. The only good thing that might come out of this is that he realises he has key parts of his game he needs to work on, knuckles down and let's his (hopefully even better) football do the talking.
Let's pray we haven't seen the making of the new JJ or Chris Armstrong

Idiots. He's a young player, his form is going to fluctuate, he had a shocker today but we should be supporting him.

He did not have a shocker he just made dumb mistakes and decisions. He deliberately fired the ball at Mata and then tried to mug him off only to mug himself off.
He is a very good player but he has either an ego or an attitude problem.

We might not have played fantastic football so far this season, although we have played some good stuff .

But it should not be forgotten that with Bale, Modric and VDV we played a high ball game to Crouch for a lot in the 09/10 season. Harry also wanted to buy Carroll and very probably would have tried to get him on lone this season, he also wanted Kenywn Jones.

I don't think that is AVB style of football and that he would have considered players like that.

So overall I think we will get better football under AVB. He is not going to play the hoof, something that Harry did far too much.

Under Redknapp we were a counteracting team that hit teams on the break. It was often good to watch, but was always reliant on individual brilliance.

Andre is trying to turn us into a possession team who dictate play. We'll break teams down by our movement. At the moment we're a bit in limbo between the two. We still have the wide players to play on the counter attack, especially away, but lack the ballplayers (especially without Dembele and Ade) to nail it at home.

Under Redknapp we were a counteracting team that hit teams on the break. It was often good to watch, but was always reliant on individual brilliance.

Andre is trying to turn us into a possession team who dictate play. We'll break teams down by our movement. At the moment we're a bit in limbo between the two. We still have the wide players to play on the counter attack, especially away, but lack the ballplayers (especially without Dembele and Ade) to nail it at home.

I'd say the opposite is the actual truth. While stereotyping the managers as gutterboy does, its easy to think the above... a foreign young manager who apparently spends a lot of time on tactics v the old english manager who apparently only tells players to run around a bit (again not true but thats the stereotype).

But actually when you watch the team perform last season, we dominated possession a hell of a lot and created so many chances (which we were good at wasting) and this was done through team play consistently.

This season we have been totally inconsistent in matches, brief spells of brilliant football followed by terrible spells where we barely get the ball. Often the goals this season have been individual moments rather than consistently breaking down the opposition and finally scoring a goal. Possession wise we probably haven't been great and we have probably got out best goal/chances ratio for some years. Whatever is happening at the moment cant be maintained long term, but im hoping AVB will learn from these games and put a proper system into place... because at the moment we are doing ok, but its a bit AV-no-plan-B.

Back