• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Great article on this in this week’s New European which argues that he’ll either win, and therefore not go to jail, or will cut a deal afterwards to sail off into the sunset and not stir up s hit so that he can avoid time inside.
He might make a run for it. I just can't see him going anywhere quietly. It is not in his nature. I still think he'll get jail time.

I agree that high office is not in and of itself a measure of intelligence. What the scale of definition is for intelligence varies I suppose. Needless to say some of the most intelligent people I know do not have degrees.

I do, however, think it is impossible to gain high political office and maintain said-position if you're dim/thick. It takes a degree of intelligence to even pick the right people to carry you through.

I agree that Obama was exceptional in that regard, and even though I think Clinton has some big questions to answer I'd place him firmly in that bracket to.
Yotally agree on Clinton, Biden to when he was younger.

Yotally agree on Clinton, Biden to when he was younger.

I read a book by his (essentially at the time PA) George Stephanopolous. He said Clinton would finish engagements at (say) 1am, they'd be going back to the hotel, Stephanopolous would be briefing him on the coming day's itnerary and talking points per engagement (by request!). He said Clinton would sometimes look like he was dozing. They'd get in around 2.30, be up again at 5.30, be off to the first engagement at (say) 7am, and that Clinton would not only have nailed every point raised by Stephanopolus hours earlier, he'd added some stuff which had been left out!
Incredible. An animal. Of course I find it utterly reprehensible that his standing has allowed him to avoid scrutiny as one of Epstein's regular 'travel pals' and have little doubt he has been involved in some disgraceful actions. His role in the Rwandan genocide is breathtaking, and I cannot ever argue the case that if he was a public right-wing politician he'd have got the amount of criticism and disgust he deserved for his negligence. But yes, undoubtably a brilliant mind...

...sadly agree on Biden. I still think he's incredibly smart, but he is clearly in the pasture age. Same as Trump. I hope that dynamiuc new choices can be generated in the future to give the youth a real shot at choices...that is providing Trump doesn't get in and obliterate what is left of the democratic system in the US...

I read a book by his (essentially at the time PA) George Stephanopolous. He said Clinton would finish engagements at (say) 1am, they'd be going back to the hotel, Stephanopolous would be briefing him on the coming day's itnerary and talking points per engagement (by request!). He said Clinton would sometimes look like he was dozing. They'd get in around 2.30, be up again at 5.30, be off to the first engagement at (say) 7am, and that Clinton would not only have nailed every point raised by Stephanopolus hours earlier, he'd added some stuff which had been left out!
Incredible. An animal. Of course I find it utterly reprehensible that his standing has allowed him to avoid scrutiny as one of Epstein's regular 'travel pals' and have little doubt he has been involved in some disgraceful actions. His role in the Rwandan genocide is breathtaking, and I cannot ever argue the case that if he was a public right-wing politician he'd have got the amount of criticism and disgust he deserved for his negligence. But yes, undoubtably a brilliant mind...

...sadly agree on Biden. I still think he's incredibly smart, but he is clearly in the pasture age. Same as Trump. I hope that dynamiuc new choices can be generated in the future to give the youth a real shot at choices...that is providing Trump doesn't get in and obliterate what is left of the democratic system in the US...
Clinton's biggest failure was 9/11 which was more him then Bush.

I don't mind his wife as it goes. Dodgy but intelligent.

I expect them all to be dodgy just want some intelligence.

Disagree on Trump he is stupid, canny operator but stupid.

My better half met Clinton once, briefly. She was working in the gov at the time and he was introduced to everyone in the room, which were mostly female incidentally. He went around shaking everyones hand as you would expect, but what she didn't expect was the effect his presence had on everyone in the room, including her. He took every womans hand in both of his and looked directly at them for say 2 seconds or so, said something in those those dulcet tones and moved on to the next. My missus said every single woman went weak at the knees. Maybe the men did too.

Now I think he is a bit of wrongun but he had (has?) a power over people that I guess he used to propel himself to the presidency.
What is that called? Cult of personality?

My better half met Clinton once, briefly. She was working in the gov at the time and he was introduced to everyone in the room, which were mostly female incidentally. He went around shaking everyones hand as you would expect, but what she didn't expect was the effect his presence had on everyone in the room, including her. He took every womans hand in both of his and looked directly at them for say 2 seconds or so, said something in those those dulcet tones and moved on to the next. My missus said every single woman went weak at the knees. Maybe the men did too.

Now I think he is a bit of wrongun but he had (has?) a power over people that I guess he used to propel himself to the presidency.
What is that called? Cult of personality?

As wrong 'uns go Clinton ain't so bad.
I think his intentions are OK but he was not as focused as he should have been on actually following through.
This time of night, a few drinks and a long day it's difficult to wrote that without loads of unintentional double entendres.

I work with a great group of bright, sensible Americans in my media work. I'm Canadian, based up north. But I've had many a travel into the States, mostly in the eastern half of the country, from upper Michigan to Key West and many points in between. Most of the time, I've met really good, decent people who were great to chat with.

But Trump has somehow dredged up the very worst mow-rons and given them all the will and the werewithal to become emboldened enought to spurt and spew their ignorance - their willful stupidity - and their latent bigotry. And make no mistake. This whole Republican agenda is about nothing else but bigotry and racism. It has effects on likeminded fcukwits here in Canada.

You'd think that their so-called Christian Nationalists would be delighted to know that many of the refugees crossing the southern border are strongly Christian in their religious beliefs. But they're predominantly Catholic and that doesn't work for the Mormons and Baptists and whatever Jesus Mow-ron faction they subscribe to. So, the newcomers get bigotry from those who are supposed to be showing kindness and mercy.

This election is shaping up to be a complete schitshow, with gun-toting antagonists likely to take to the streets to intimidate anyone they don't think conforms to their norms. And Republican-allied election officials in place to fcuk with all manner of voting procedures. Could take quite a while after voting day to get an accurate count of the vote. At least Trump isn't in power this time and the irony is that Biden might enjoy extra days to his presidency while this whole thing gets sorted.

I still don't understand how Trump has not been found guilty of anything since he was President! It's been years now and not only has he gotten away with a load of brick, He's still able to run again, AND his party still back him over all the other potential candidates in their party. It's madness

It's very simple rich people can do what they like and the rest of us can give them our money and fudge off

Someone has (allegedly) tried to shoot him again this afternoon. Can’t see it boosting his poll ratings this time.

Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the intention, given how the 'dead cat' immigrant bounce failed to materialise and they want a new narrative.

After all the 'shooter' this time was arrested rather than executed immediately.

Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the intention, given how the 'dead cat' immigrant bounce failed to materialise and they want a new narrative.

After all the 'shooter' this time was arrested rather than executed immediately.
Please tell me you are referring to the eating the cats thing

Back