• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yang Min-Hyeok

Actually it seems quite reasonable to me. They want their citizens young and healthy when they do their national service. Besides by 35 one is more likely to have started a family.

You are focusing on athletes when the rule is for all citizens. It makes perfect sense to me.

In Naija, everybody that goes into higher education (university/polytechnic etc) has to serve one year of national service before they can get a job. When you subsequently apply for a job, along with your academic qualifications you have to produce evidence of having served your NYSC (National Youth Service Corp).
In Greece it's the same. The point is, though, that what is most important is the military training you get. And whether you get that training at 18 or 35, it's pretty much the same. And it's not the running and the push ups, but rather how to use a weapon, how to bandage a wound, how to camouflage, how to wear a chemical suit, etc etc. Sure an 18-year old will have more stamina than a 35-year old when it comes to the running and climbing and push ups, but that matters more when there's a war. And when there's a war everyone from 18-50 will serve, not just the ones in their prime. Doing your military service during peacetime in your prime is just a waste of your prime, especially if you're an elite athlete.

The rule is for everyone. They don't make exceptions for your profession or status or how rich you are. You serve your country, who are still officially at war.
I never said they should make exceptions. Of course everyone has to serve. I'm just saying that, if they have a deferment for athletes, it makes more sense to have that deferment until they're 35 rather than until they're 28. Or at least have them do partial service during their off season and satisfy their obligation that way, with any remainder done in full at 35.

I never said they should make exceptions. Of course everyone has to serve. I'm just saying that, if they have a deferment for athletes, it makes more sense to have that deferment until they're 35 rather than until they're 28. Or at least have them do partial service during their off season and satisfy their obligation that way, with any remainder done in full at 35.

They don't have a deferment do they? Thought the rule was the same for everyone.

In Greece it's the same. The point is, though, that what is most important is the military training you get. And whether you get that training at 18 or 35, it's pretty much the same. And it's not the running and the push ups, but rather how to use a weapon, how to bandage a wound, how to camouflage, how to wear a chemical suit, etc etc. Sure an 18-year old will have more stamina than a 35-year old when it comes to the running and climbing and push ups, but that matters more when there's a war. And when there's a war everyone from 18-50 will serve, not just the ones in their prime. Doing your military service during peacetime in your prime is just a waste of your prime, especially if you're an elite athlete.
I guess in South Korea it is irrelevant as to whether you are an elite athlete or not, unless you earn an exception.

In Naija the focus is not particularly on military training just national service. Which simply means you could be teaching, help on building projects etc. The focus is that you serve anywhere in the country for a year as long as it is not your state of origin.

In countries where national service is expected it is not a big issue. However in this country it is easy to poke holes in it because national service is not done in this country.

I guess in South Korea it is irrelevant as to whether you are an elite athlete or not, unless you earn an exception.

In Naija the focus is not particularly on military training just national service. Which simply means you could be teaching, help on building projects etc. The focus is that you serve anywhere in the country for a year as long as it is not your state of origin.

In countries where national service is expected it is not a big issue. However in this country it is easy to poke holes in it because national service is not done in this country.

Is anyone from "this country" poking holes in it?

In the 2010 World cup North Korea had a team with lots of players named Hyok. My hippie flat mate at the time made a silly song to the tune of Old Mcdonald about it - "and a Hyok Hyok here and a Hyok Hyok there" - and it's all I can think of when I see this guy's name. Sorry, carry on, just needed to get it out of my system.

In the 2010 World cup North Korea had a team with lots of players named Hyok. My hippie flat mate at the time made a silly song to the tune of Old Mcdonald about it - "and a Hyok Hyok here and a Hyok Hyok there" - and it's all I can think of when I see this guy's name. Sorry, carry on, just needed to get it out of my system.
Was your flat mates name Rodrigo?

Was your flat mates name Rodrigo?

Rodrigo Defendi. No, but he used to wear a pink bubble coat and slice his butter with a ostehøvel.

Edit: Oooh, you were refering to Bentancur of course, haha, how did I miss that.

Last edited:
They don't have a deferment do they? Thought the rule was the same for everyone.
They do, otherwise they have to enlist when they finish high school. They can get deferments for other reasons too, such as family issues, education, etc., etc. So all these athletes, unless they started their military service after HS and have completed it, are on deferments. And to go back to my original statement, it doesn't make sense to me to offer a deferment only until 28 for athletes, as that is when they are in their prime. Doesn't mean they don't serve at all, just that they do it at a later age.

Back