• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with a lot of that, although I think England would have had more chance qualifying purely due to the fact that he would have instilled a siege mentally ... Would have played to the teams strengths and ensured bonding and passion terry venables style... I know I know passion is a dirty word around these parts.... But you know what if the stat boys believe that 50% of results are due to luck... Then why is is not ok to accept that terry butcher, Stuart pierce, gazza style passion is a major factor in results as well?

I think that the Venables comparison is a fair one.

On the bolded bit, they are right and last night would be a classic example. Uruguay's winning goal was scored from a misplaced header from Gerrard, a lucky goal. Roughly 50% of goals are scored from fortunate positions, so luck has a massive impact on the results of games.

There are a lot of players there that would have gotten into the squads of the other major countries. Current one? Probably none.

What so players like G Nevile, Gazza, Shearer and Campbell to name a few wouldn't get in the current squad? They would all be starting.

What so players like G Nevile, Gazza, Shearer and Campbell to name a few wouldn't get in the current squad? They would all be starting.

Dont forget Teddy - brilliant player and that partnership was Shearer was very good

no, i think he's saying that the players in that Euro 96 side would have got in to many rival nations sides - and now, the current players, not so much

Not even Redknapp can polish turds

I respect his work at Spurs but he did have King, Modric and Bale at his disposal which makes things a bit easier :)

No the problem with England goes deeper than who the manager is. England have had better players in the past but still underperformed. Right now the defence is shocking, the worst set of central defenders I can rememeber. Cahill generally looks good with Terry, Jagielka is not good enough, and you know you're in trouble when Smalling and Jones are the back up/future.

Johnson at right back? Oh dear. if Walker was there it wouldn't make much difference...........Baines is just PL class but way out of form

Central midfield? Dear GHod

The bright spots for England are in the wttacking positions...... Barkley, Sterling, Chamberlain, Lallana and Sturbridge are full of potential and good to watch

How lucky "we" are ? Hahahahaha ! Please tell me your taking the mick ? I refuse to believe your serious. I wont have it.

in the grand scheme of things, i genuinely believe that we are lucky. every 4 years, we have a team to support. and go through the rollercoaster with. trust me, there are so many fans of nations who just wish they could make an appearance at the world cup finals.

i dunno, ive always thought that Redknapp would suit international management quite well. i think he'd be able to motivate the players quickly, pick a well balanced side and get them playing to their potential - i think the things which let him down for us (no need to go down that road again...) wouldn't be so much of a factor in this environment so wouldn't worry about what i saw as his faults during his time with us hampering his ability to do the England job.

I think that the Venables comparison is a fair one.

On the bolded bit, they are right and last night would be a classic example. Uruguay's winning goal was scored from a misplaced header from Gerrard, a lucky goal. Roughly 50% of goals are scored from fortunate positions, so luck has a massive impact on the results of games.

Ok but my point is that guts and thunder (dirty words I know) should also be a factor, if systems and tactics amount to only 50% then a 100% commitment never say die attitude, being ready and willing to bleed for the cause should surely give you another 10% at least. I saw England play quite well against both Italy and Uruguay, but i didn't see any great passion... And it's that more than talent that was lacking in my honest view ... Unless you believe that Costa Rica man for man are better than England talent wise?

Costa Rica will rest some of their key players for their game against England.

Read that again to fully realise what a shambles our National team are.

Not even Redknapp can polish turds

I respect his work at Spurs but he did have King, Modric and Bale at his disposal which makes things a bit easier :)

No the problem with England goes deeper than who the manager is. England have had better players in the past but still underperformed. Right now the defence is shocking, the worst set of central defenders I can rememeber. Cahill generally looks good with Terry, Jagielka is not good enough, and you know you're in trouble when Smalling and Jones are the back up/future.

Johnson at right back? Oh dear. if Walker was there it wouldn't make much difference...........Baines is just PL class but way out of form

Central midfield? Dear GHod

The bright spots for England are in the wttacking positions...... Barkley, Sterling, Chamberlain, Lallana and Sturbridge are full of potential and good to watch

I personally feel Lallana is vastly overrated.

Well done to Costa Rica. Never thought they will beat Italy. I think "underdog" teams like Costa Rica always have advantage as they don't have any pressure of high expectations. Now that they had beaten Italy, there will be pressure on them when they play in the next round. Thought Italy will make an impact in this WC. But won't be surprised if they don't even make the next round round. Can see Uruguay troubling Italy if Suarez plays. The problem with Italy is that they rely almost entirely on Pirlo and Balotelli to win games. For all his skills, Balotelli is moody and inconsistent as he wasted 2 good chances against Costa Rica.

Never thought England would be out after just 2 games. But looking at the team lineup, you can't complain much. England squad are full of players who are either too inexperienced, inconsistent or past their best. Unlike Uruguay who have Suarez and Italy who have Pirlo, England don't have any match winners. I thought England looked shaky in almost all positions, especially defence. It will be interesting how England will approach the Costa Rica match. Surely, you don't want to change too much and risk losing all the matches in the WC.

Ok but my point is that guts and thunder (dirty words I know) should also be a factor, if systems and tactics amount to only 50% then a 100% commitment never say die attitude, being ready and willing to bleed for the cause should surely give you another 10% at least. I saw England play quite well against both Italy and Uruguay, but i didn't see any great passion... And it's that more than talent that was lacking in my honest view ... Unless you believe that Costa Rica man for man are better than England talent wise?

Whenever I have seen England try guts and thunder the game plan has gone out of the window and it has ended up a mess.

I don't think that the problem on Thursday was a lack of effort. The teams were reasonably evenly matched. The difference between the teams on the night was the one with a world class player won.

Can't believe 26 matches have finished so far. Only left 38 matches. This WC seems like going very fast. Regardless of your team is winning or not, it feels a bit sad that this WC is finishing fast. It is always enjoyable watching WC matches. Wish they make it a bi-annual tournament.

Can't believe 26 matches have finished so far. Only left 38 matches. This WC seems like going very fast. Regardless of your team is winning or not, it feels a bit sad that this WC is finishing fast. It is always enjoyable watching WC matches. Wish they make it a bi-annual tournament.

it does mean only a month after the final is the PL again wahooooooooooooooooo

I wonder if Woy had taken a bit more experience it would have made a difference.

...........................Hart
Johnson..Ferdinand...Cahill....Cole
...............Gerrrard..Carrick
....Sturridge.. Barkley...Sterling
.....................Rooney

Its in the defensive areas we lacked the nous, Ferdinand, Cole and Carrick would have fixed that......the only two outstanding youngsters are Barkley and Sterling. Rooney is in his best position and Sturridge looks good when he floats in off the left.

Had Ferdinand retired from international football? I know some think he is past it but I'd rather his experience than Jagielka's lack of

I wonder if Woy had taken a bit more experience it would have made a difference.

...........................Hart
Johnson..Ferdinand...Cahill....Cole
...............Gerrrard..Carrick
....Sturridge.. Barkley...Sterling
.....................Rooney

Its in the defensive areas we lacked the nous, Ferdinand, Cole and Carrick would have fixed that......the only two outstanding youngsters are Barkley and Sterling. Rooney is in his best position and Sturridge looks good when he floats in off the left.

Had Ferdinand retired from international football? I know some think he is past it but I'd rather his experience than Jagielka's lack of

Ferdinand is spent and Gerrard needs a runner, so I cannot see him and Carrick working together. I can see a case for selecting and starting Carrick in place of Gerrard but he didn't have the best of seasons and has never really settled in international football.

Incredible really...not sure what people expected...I felt we were actually unlucky against Uruguay, coupled with a bit naive at 1-1...let's hope it's a young side in the last game so as the future is given some light and experience...

I'd say that if you put a guts and thunder team up against a talented, tactically aware one, the guts team would get comfortably beaten most of the time. That's assuming the ref doesn't let the guts team do too much damage.

It's been almost a generation since anyone tried to win the PL with a guts and thunder team, and even then they had some talent. None of the top international teams play that way and neither do any late stage CL regulars. There's a reason for that.

Back