• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i accept that it was different eras. but neither lazio or monaco were european powerhouses. they were big teams, but not a real madrid. and its not just foreign coaches who didnt neccessarily value them as much as the beckhams and lampards. even domestically, hoddle and gascoigne only had around 50 caps each compared to the 100+ of the likes of lampard, gerrard and beckham. with gascoigne and hoddle, it just seems that its the fans who rate them, and not managers (domestic or foreign), who are ultimately paid for their football expertise.

I'm still trying to figure out who these European powerhouses that value Lampard and Gerrard so much are.

As for comparing the number of caps when Hoddle and Gascoigne played we didn't have 5 unnecessary friendlies per year to bolster the cap count bearing in mind that the record for the most England caps in competitive matches is 68 and Lampard has 103.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out who these European powerhouses that value Lampard and Gerrard so much are.

As for comparing the number of caps when Hoddle and Gascoigne played we didn't have 5 unnecessary friendlies per year to bolster the cap count.

both were linked to real madrid. and gerrard was linked with chelsea. and it was harder to get into the england side in lampards era than it was in hoddle's.

both were linked to real madrid. and gerrard was linked with chelsea. and it was harder to get into the england side in lampards era than it was in hoddle's.

Linked but not bought, how many players are Spurs linked with every close season.

Linked but not bought, how many players are Spurs linked with every close season.

yes, because they were already at top clubs who had international managers that rated them so highly that they were giving them some of the highest salaries for midfield players in the world. this just simply wasnt the case for hoddle

Roy was always the wrong choice .. like TS at Spurs, England will beat people they are "absolutely" expected to, against anyone close to equal = **** up.

So glad no Spurs players are involved in this year's disaster, at least they won't have to deal with all the **** media and over analysis when England returns after 3 games.

Roy was always the wrong choice .. like TS at Spurs, England will beat people they are "absolutely" expected to, against anyone close to equal = **** up.

So glad no Spurs players are involved in this year's disaster, at least they won't have to deal with all the **** media and over analysis when England returns after 3 games.

Out of interest who would you have picked? Id have picked Harry personally then again I didnt want him to leave Spurs but had I known he would be fired id have put him in as England Manager.

I dont like the idea of a foreign England Manager.

The main problem with this English team is the dross in centre of defence and the dross in the centre of the midfield. Gerrard is past it, how he bluffed it last season playing in a holding midfield role is a mystery. Out wide and up front we have a few options, but we just have dross in those two areas.

Out of interest who would you have picked? Id have picked Harry personally then again I didnt want him to leave Spurs but had I known he would be fired id have put him in as England Manager.

Harry was the right choice, he's proven he can get English players to respond to him, his sides are generally a lot more fun to watch than Roy, and even though I didn't want him to leave, it might have worked out better for both. If the FA had made a choice quickly, made a statement of Harry taking over from end of season, Harry probably would have managed (without the speculation) to have given us 3rd that season, while also giving us time to pick the next guy more carefully.

The main problem with this English team is the dross in centre of defence and the dross in the centre of the midfield. Gerrard is past it, how he bluffed it last season playing in a holding midfield role is a mystery. Out wide and up front we have a few options, but we just have dross in those two areas.

The manager picks the dross, and the manager gets the dross playing.

Look at the center of defense and midfield for Chile, two guys from relegated clubs, and one guy released by a lower division club, and they beat Spain.

Time to stop making excuses for bad management (from FA -> coach)

id have picked redknapp too. especially given that it looked like the fa specifically wanted an england manager after all those highly paid foreign ones. but choosing english didnt leave them with many options.

although i don't beleive that you neccesarily need a manager who has a good track record at club level. there are lots of nations who appoint international managers who have very little managerial experience at any level. had someone like shearer not proven that he is incapable of managing a group of players at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, i wouldnt have been too against an appointment like that

Hoddle: sacked for non football reasons.
Keegan: flavour of the Month. Weak in many areas.
Eriksson: mercenary
McLaren: the ultimate "safe" choice.
Capello: mucho mercenary.
Hodgson: another beige, "safe" choice.

So who do you think the post-Wow mucho mucho mercenary will be? Then afterwards perhaps Tony Pulis will have developed into a safe choice.

BqlOMG8CAAEqGhg.png

Henry is pretty good, as he gives a different perspective.

I think a big problem with punditry is that each has one or two favourite themes and they tend to repeat them for every match. When you get them 30 times on MOTD, even the good one become boring. The mix at the world cup is fresher.

So who do you think the post-Wow mucho mucho mercenary will be? Then afterwards perhaps Tony Pulis will have developed into a safe choice.

Haven't they ruled out foreign coaches?
I wouldn't be surprised if Harry gets the nod should Woy get the boot.

Back