• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Just cant see any way which we'll pay £20m+ on a player til the stadium has done. Levy has resisted it so far in his time at Spurs. If the price was sub £20m then he would fit the profile of player and in particular age which we sign players (he's 24) - not dissimilar to people like Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen, even Modric. However if hte price really is £20m+ then I just dont see it

re the wages, it all depends on whether a club with a sugar daddy gets involved - if so, he could recieve an offer in excess of £100k

You're on this one again, mate.

And I still say that you're wrong. Simply doesn't work like that. There won't be a set or symbolic maximum figure that Spurs will pay for a player. Levy simply wouldn't box himself into a self imposed corner like that. Each case will be taken on its own merits. If a player is deemed to be good value at £20 mill+, and if that player will agree to a wage that Spurs can justify and afford, then we will sign him.

With one year left in the summer Lewandowski will go for less than 22m, they are just trying to talk the price up

You're on this one again, mate.

And I still say that you're wrong. Simply doesn't work like that. There won't be a set or symbolic maximum figure that Spurs will pay for a player. Levy simply wouldn't box himself into a self imposed corner like that. Each case will be taken on its own merits. If a player is deemed to be good value at £20 mill+, and if that player will agree to a wage that Spurs can justify and afford, then we will sign him.

I'm not saying that Levy would sign someone for £19.999999m but not for £20.0m - not suggesting that there is any 'symbolic' fee which we wouldnt go above but that we would sign someone for £1 lower! However the max fee which we've been prepared to pay under Levy is the £15m / £16m type of fee which we've paid for Modric, Dembele, Bent, Bentley etc but we've never paid anything in the region of £20m+ despite there always being players in that region who could in theory be of interest. That suggests that we either cant afford that sort of fee or Levy refuses to pay that level of fee or that he, as you put it, hasnt yet been persuaded that someone is 'good value' at that level (ie that he thinks its too much risk putting that level of capital into one player).

Given Levy isnt a man for turning and, more importantly, that we're trying to finance a stadium I struggle to see us spending that amount until the stadium is fully financed. Maybe I am wrong (and I hope that I am!) but I just dont see us spending that much on one player. I can see us spending say £15m-ish each on two players this summer and selling say Adebayor and Thudd to recoup half that £30m outlay. But I dont see us spending say £22m on one player and £8m on a second, despite the total outlay being the same as signing two £15m players

Levy may spend over £20m but maybe not in the way he reportedly did for Dembele (i.e. all in one go).

I'm not saying that Levy would sign someone for £19.999999m but not for £20.0m - not suggesting that there is any 'symbolic' fee which we wouldnt go above but that we would sign someone for £1 lower! However the max fee which we've been prepared to pay under Levy is the £15m / £16m type of fee which we've paid for Modric, Dembele, Bent, Bentley etc but we've never paid anything in the region of £20m+ despite there always being players in that region who could in theory be of interest. That suggests that we either cant afford that sort of fee or Levy refuses to pay that level of fee or that he, as you put it, hasnt yet been persuaded that someone is 'good value' at that level (ie that he thinks its too much risk putting that level of capital into one player).

Given Levy isnt a man for turning and, more importantly, that we're trying to finance a stadium I struggle to see us spending that amount until the stadium is fully financed. Maybe I am wrong (and I hope that I am!) but I just dont see us spending that much on one player. I can see us spending say £15m-ish each on two players this summer and selling say Adebayor and Thudd to recoup half that £30m outlay. But I dont see us spending say £22m on one player and £8m on a second, despite the total outlay being the same as signing two £15m players

Thing is, we don't know what Levy has been prepared to pay in the past. We might have tried to sign plenty of £20m+ players but been unable to complete the deals because of wages. £20m+ players are, after all, more likely to demand the kind of wages that Spurs would find prohibitive. They are also more likely to attract the attention of clubs that can outbid us.

Nevertheless, most reports seem to agree that we would have signed Moutinho back in August had a last minute, insurmountable problem not surfaced. And, though his reported transfer cost varied from source to source, not one of them suggested a fee of less than £20 million.

Bear in mind, also, that what happened in the past doesn't necessarily dictate what will happen in the future. As from next season, Spurs will earn a massive amount more from the new Premier League broadcasting rights deals. If we also happen to be in the Champions League, we will have a pretty big pot of money at our disposal. And we will need to spend it if we are to buy the strikers of sufficient quality that we so desperately need and if we are to move on from merely competing for top 4 to competing for the title.

We'll be raking in an extra £80m next season if we get CL football, surely we'll make a bit of a splash.

I agree with that adam, i think levy views it as to much risk if the player goes bad then we can not get any money back for them. Im sure the are some who thought we should have paid more then we did for ade of city had held out for more, and we know how that has turned out. I think in levys mind he knows what happened with bentley and we can not get the money or anywhere near it back on him.

It has worked out well for us though because with bent we got the money back and modric and dembele have proved to be worth it, but as you rightly say with us building a stadium the room for error is so fine that we can do it on a 15m player but on a 20m player it is putting to many eggs in one basket.

The only thing i disagree on is i doubt we will get anywhere near 15m for hudd and ade.

We'll be raking in an extra £80m next season if we get CL football, surely we'll make a bit of a splash.

Well we did not do much last time we got there, so many people have said so i now believe it that it mainly went in bonus payments to the players. Though i have also read that we have put away 90m towards the stadium already. Much like political stuff in the papers i no longer know what to believe to be honest.

Would absoultely love to sign a couple of exciting foreign players and a couple of promising youngsters one like hughes at derby looks very interesting.

Well according to reports a month or so back it all depends on if we qualify for the champions league and if we do the wage cap will be broken to bring in players that will take us to that next level.

Well according to reports a month or so back it all depends on if we qualify for the champions league and if we do the wage cap will be broken to bring in players that will take us to that next level.

A bit similar to the "We've learnt from our previous mistakes in the window, this time will be different" line we get before every transfer window

After all the deadwood we shifted last summer, we should be well well under our wage cap at the moment (which is supposed to be 54-56% of turnover).

Gallas, our supposed 3rd highest earner (after Ade and Bale) is off in the summer, and another big earner Parker is possibly in a precarious position.

I would like to think we already have the capacity to sign two more £100k pw players this summer, even if we don't get CL.

Though during last summer we did break our wage cap to bring Ade in.

8-[

Sort of. Bale was already on £100k. We reportedly pay Ade £100k too, though City also still pay him a second £100k.

We've never had an individual wage cap anyway, it's always been a squad one (as I said, 54-56% of turnover).

Looking at the top scorer charts around Europe:

Germany:

Lewandowski, Kiessling, Mandzukic, Ibisevic all feature.

More midfielders and wingers than forwards on that list really.

Two guys that look tall and robust, but I have no idea what they're like:

Adam Zsalai, 25 years old, 13 goals in 26 apps. First season of any note though.

Nils Petersen, 24 years old, 11 goals in 27 apps. Picked up by Bayern 2 years ago after doing well in the 2. Bundesliga, on loan to Werder this season.

Italy:

Two we've linked with before (not that it actually matters what the papers come up with)

Osvaldo
Mauro Icardi

France:

Aubameyang
Modeste
Gomis at a stretch

Most of the top players are pushing 30 and the young ones aren't doing much.

Portugal:

The few decent ones play for the big 3 and will therefore cost a small fortune if they have that little extra.

Holland:

Bony
Finnbogason
Graziano Pelle

All scoring lots of goals, but it's in Holland after all.

Seems like there aren't that many top quality strikers out there, very few that have more than 10-12 goals. There is however a lot of wingers and attacking midfielders close to double digits. I think it's due to the current trend of lone strikers and the old poachers have been moved to other positions. There are higher demands to the overall contribution from all players. No longer room for someone to just hit crosses or just score tap ins.

Good work. Perhaps this needs to be the start of the striker dossier thread v2.1

Sort of. Bale was already on £100k. We reportedly pay Ade £100k too, though City also still pay him a second £100k.

We've never had an individual wage cap anyway, it's always been a squad one (as I said, 54-56% of turnover).

Bale was only on 100k as of last summer as well though. So still the same summer. :p

Depends on where the financing for the stadium is. Clearly though CL cash plus the additional hike in the TV money from next season, which would have been more than we budgeted for, must help

Thing is, we don't know what Levy has been prepared to pay in the past. We might have tried to sign plenty of £20m+ players but been unable to complete the deals because of wages. £20m+ players are, after all, more likely to demand the kind of wages that Spurs would find prohibitive. They are also more likely to attract the attention of clubs that can outbid us.

Nevertheless, most reports seem to agree that we would have signed Moutinho back in August had a last minute, insurmountable problem not surfaced. And, though his reported transfer cost varied from source to source, not one of them suggested a fee of less than £20 million.

Bear in mind, also, that what happened in the past doesn't necessarily dictate what will happen in the future. As from next season, Spurs will earn a massive amount more from the new Premier League broadcasting rights deals. If we also happen to be in the Champions League, we will have a pretty big pot of money at our disposal. And we will need to spend it if we are to buy the strikers of sufficient quality that we so desperately need and if we are to move on from merely competing for top 4 to competing for the title.

Yep, am basing my views on our past actions and the extra TV cash could mean we spend more than we did before. However (and I apoloise for banging on about it!) there's no way we'll spend big money til the financing for the stadium is 100% secure

re Moutinho, we really dont know what happened. Could well have been that our payment structure was too long term dated (ie so that a chunk was paid once we got the stadium built) whereas Porto wanted the lions hsare of the cash up front (and given their stronger bargaining position, they would have asked for this)

Back