• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I don't think Poch really buys into the idea that you give a player minutes to get their confidence up. I think for him, getting picked for the first team is the ultimate reward for good performance in training and previous games. I don't think it means Janssen is fine because he didn't come on today, it just means he isn't first or second choice.

If he plays well in training he will get more game time. When he's ready he will get it. But a place on the pitch isn't something Poch just gives away from what I can see.

From Poch perspective, that might be true. But as far as I know, Poch is not a brain scientist; he has little knowledge on how humans react to different kind of stimulus, except from his on expericene at the field. A player that gets to the bench, but not longer, might not see that as a reward that should results in a confidence-boost, instead the player sees the treatment as a "close but no cigarr" situation, which will reduce his confidence instead of boosting it.

I really hope Poch is aware that we are all different humans, and to excel we all need diffferent kind treatment.

A lot of speculation/guesswork around at the moment about Janssen being finished here, the truth is not one of us really knows what the situation is. In the past when Poch has decided a player is not doing/good enough for what he needs them to do he has moved them on.

At the moment Janssen is still picked for the bench which suggests that Poch still has faith in him. I guess we will find out in the summer if Poch keeps him or not.

Great post BOL . That's why unlike other posters I think Poch will be a top manager. Make no mistake the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho are exactly the same, just ask Benteke, Joe Hart, Depay and Luke Shaw.

Difference is they have endless budgets,we don't.

We cant keep spunking 60 million on duds and not give them game time to see if they can improve.

Also, it is not just about Janssen, protecting Kane when we are 4-0 and they are kicking out at every chance should have crossed his mind.

Difference is they have endless budgets,we don't.

We cant keep spunking 60 million on duds and not give them game time to see if they can improve.

Also, it is not just about Janssen, protecting Kane when we are 4-0 and they are kicking out at every chance should have crossed his mind.
That is just the way it is when you are building a side - some you will win some you will lose. If we have to get rid of Jannsen (and I haven't given up hope on him yet), then any loss will be offset by giant gains on the likes of Harry Kane, Delle Alli, Harry Winks, Eric Dier and I am sure more.

What we don't want is to have mediocre players or players who do not fit into Poch's plans warming the bench for too long. Their value depreciates and they are a burden on the wage bill.

From Poch perspective, that might be true. But as far as I know, Poch is not a brain scientist; he has little knowledge on how humans react to different kind of stimulus, except from his on expericene at the field. A player that gets to the bench, but not longer, might not see that as a reward that should results in a confidence-boost, instead the player sees the treatment as a "close but no cigarr" situation, which will reduce his confidence instead of boosting it.

I really hope Poch is aware that we are all different humans, and to excel we all need diffferent kind treatment.

I think he's fine on understanding that players are human as many players have given stories to that effect, but I think he's also reasonably authratative about what he wants to see in his first team. There's an element of treating people as humans, but also an element of those humans needing to buy into his plan, which I think is what is going on here.

It means that when VJ gets in to the team, it's because he will be able to make a difference and VJ needs to strive to get to that point. If he gets there, he'll be a serious striker and not a charity case. But he needs to get there. If he does, he'll much prefer his position at the club.

I think he's fine on understanding that players are human as many players have given stories to that effect, but I think he's also reasonably authratative about what he wants to see in his first team. There's an element of treating people as humans, but also an element of those humans needing to buy into his plan, which I think is what is going on here.

I hope you are right, but the history have given the footballworld many great, but not world class manager, that had problem with that. To be a great manager you need, among other stuff, a good and clear game/teamplan that you follow to the letter. To be came a world class manager, you dare to deviate from the said game/teamplan.

Are there many brain scientists that are successful football managers?

Going by what has been said about him Pochettino is very good at identifying what various players need in different situations.

Going by his record at Spurs he's been very good at identifying and getting rid of those whose lacking in attitude (Adebayor, Kaboul, Lennon, Townsend etc) and at the same time keeping around and improving those with a good attitude. Including players like Vertonghen, Lamela and Rose whose attitude has been questioned by many fans from the outside. There might be individual decisions or judgements you or others disagree with, I'm not really interested in discussing if an individual player fits in one category or the other. But the overall record Pochettino has in this kind of work seems very good.

A lot of speculation/guesswork around at the moment about Janssen being finished here, the truth is not one of us really knows what the situation is. In the past when Poch has decided a player is not doing/good enough for what he needs them to do he has moved them on.

At the moment Janssen is still picked for the bench which suggests that Poch still has faith in him. I guess we will find out in the summer if Poch keeps him or not.

Spot on for me. For mots of those that have been done at the club before it's been pretty clear cut that they've been done some time before they actually left. Players like Adebayor, Paulinho, Kaboul and Townsend were nowhere near the match day squad and some even training with the reserves before being shipped out. What we can say is that Janssen is not in that category as of now so most likely there's still hope for him.

I hope you are right, but the history have given the footballworld many great, but not world class manager, that had problem with that. To be a great manager you need, among other stuff, a good and clear game/teamplan that you follow to the letter. To be came a world class manager, you dare to deviate from the said game/teamplan.

I think this is simply a case of, Poch is absolutely willing to put massive trust in young players. He will genuinely make them key players and back them to form title challenges and get CL football. If a player can live with that, great. If they can perform with the consistency required, great. But it means the standards are high. The first team is a place for winning. A young player needs to get to the point where they can be a genuine difference maker. If they get there - demonstrating it in training and performing well in their sub appearances, they will get more of a chance. Winks is a case in point.

But the first team is not a place for charity. It's not a place for giving players a run. Maybe it was when we were perennial mid-table, or when we are even 5th or 6th. But now we are gunning for 3rd and 4th realistically and ideally more. Poch is simply enforcing the standards.

"It was expected that the £17m summer signing from AZ Alkmaar, last season's Eredivisie top scorer, would come on against Stoke last Sunday with Spurs coasting at 4-0 by half-time, just to give him some match time and perhaps a goal for his confidence.

However, he did not appear, with Heung-Min Son replacing Kane in the final moments, despite the England striker having earlier suffered a knock after colliding with a post in the second half.

"You need to analyse the game, we had few problems with Toby and Jan. For me it was to choose between Son and Vincent and we decided to replace Harry with Sonny," explained Pochettino.

"I always try to be honest and fair and I am very happy in the last few weeks how [Vincent] reacts, he is training now. He has some small problem in his foot but I am happy with his reaction.

"He realised he needs to fight in training, try to give me the trust and confidence for after to give him the chance to play. He took a very good way now to try to fight for his place here."

http://www.football.london/tottenha...oost-janssens-future-pochettino-says-12688270

I just think Poch is protecting Janssen. Try again next year.

He does imply that Janssen's performances in training haven't been the best though, up until Poch told him to up his game, "he realised he needs to fight in training". No reason to not believe Poch is happy with Jans having upped his game though, so this just sounds like good news to me. Janssen seems like a fighter, so hopefully he'll keep at it and will succeed eventually!

I'd like to think Janssen could make it next year, however going into next season without another CF would be a huge risk. We'd be hoping, again, that Kane doesn't get injured and also that Janssen manages to fire despite having not done this year.

Separately, I read earlier that Benteke is angling to leave Palace. Think he'd be a decent bet - it would be difficult to get much better a CF than him who would be happy to play second fiddle to Kane and probably just about within our spending budget. Plus should be able to convince him to move given all the Belgians

I'd like to think Janssen could make it next year, however going into next season without another CF would be a huge risk. We'd be hoping, again, that Kane doesn't get injured and also that Janssen manages to fire despite having not done this year.

Separately, I read earlier that Benteke is angling to leave Palace. Think he'd be a decent bet - it would be difficult to get much better a CF than him who would be happy to play second fiddle to Kane and probably just about within our spending budget. Plus should be able to convince him to move given all the Belgians

Not so sure about Benteke (he'll probably cost way more than he's worth), but I agree with the sentiment that we'll need another striker going into next season. I really wish we had gotten Berahino, think he would come good eventually under Poch. Oh, well, no point crying over spilled milk and all that.

Not so sure about Benteke (he'll probably cost way more than he's worth), but I agree with the sentiment that we'll need another striker going into next season. I really wish we had gotten Berahino, think he would come good eventually under Poch. Oh, well, no point crying over spilled milk and all that.

I'd be prepared to over-pay for Benteke given that he's PL proven - its definitely worth paying a premium for someone who's already had success in the league, particularly as we've recently signed a CF for a reduced price from a minor league and he's failed. If we were to take a punt on another Janssen this summer from a non-major league, we could easily be a in position with two dud CFs as back-ups.

Personally, I'm not convinced about Berahino. There is a bit of Defoe about him and clearly, with hindsight, he couldn't have contributed less than Janssen this season. As above though, I'd rather sign another Berahino this summer from a PL team, than chance our arm with another Janssen

I'd be prepared to over-pay for Benteke given that he's PL proven - its definitely worth paying a premium for someone who's already had success in the league, particularly as we've recently signed a CF for a reduced price from a minor league and he's failed. If we were to take a punt on another Janssen this summer from a non-major league, we could easily be a in position with two dud CFs as back-ups.

Personally, I'm not convinced about Berahino. There is a bit of Defoe about him and clearly, with hindsight, he couldn't have contributed less than Janssen this season. As above though, I'd rather sign another Berahino this summer from a PL team, than chance our arm with another Janssen

I think Benteke has lost his proven status having flopped at pool and palace (both a step up from Villa you could argue)

I do think he could suit us but he is another confidence player who plays in streaks which for me doesn't suit a back up striker

Any signing now has to be someone who can push the first 11 and potentially upgrade on what we have .... we have enough bit part players already

Benteke, so proven he's ended up at palace.
Soldado was a proven scorer in a major league, look how that turned out.
It's not so easy with the front man, there's loads of variables.

Back