• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Here you go!

In seriousness, he isn't doing anything that differently - I'd actually say he looks better for us than in the video.
The difference - at least half of those chances don't even get to you in England...it's easy to forget how good the defending is in England.
He will need to learn how to adapt his game, but he has a goalscoring instinct.

Also, how many times this season have we got into those attacking positions for any of our players? We attack and let it get compacted.
Thanks. Let's get that Janssen going. Although I remember the Soldado Youtube comp and that we also said that he didn't get the kind of service we saw in that one too.

Here you go!

In seriousness, he isn't doing anything that differently - I'd actually say he looks better for us than in the video.
The difference - at least half of those chances don't even get to you in England...it's easy to forget how good the defending is in England.
He will need to learn how to adapt his game, but he has a goalscoring instinct.

Also, how many times this season have we got into those attacking positions for any of our players? We attack and let it get compacted.
The last one is the telling one for me, a 1-2, a ball down the channel and a cross. If that was us it would be a 1-2, switch it, knock it back, a ball down the channel, get to the bye line, turn and play back then try and burst through the middle.

How can bellerin be so quick with such a huge head?
Anyway, so Shane long is the quickest and he's not scored either.
Some very surprising stats, thought naval was a flyer, yet capuoe is quicker.

How can bellerin be so quick with such a huge head?
Anyway, so Shane long is the quickest and he's not scored either.
Some very surprising stats, thought naval was a flyer, yet capuoe is quicker.

It's kind of misleading. I think those numbers show maximum speed over 60 metres (or thereabouts), so not necessarily a useful measure. You can even reach a max speed over the course of 100 metres (for instance) and not really be faster over those 100 metres than a bunch of other people. But even that's beside the point. Most runs in football, as we all know, are over just a few metres, and this particular test didn't say anything about who were the quickest over the first few metres.

Thing with a lot of the goals in those videos he isn't being marked touch tight or he has an Extra yard somehow

Every time in this league when he gets it he is within a yard of the centre back and has to play back to goal... I don't get how he isn't finding room

Thing with a lot of the goals in those videos he isn't being marked touch tight or he has an Extra yard somehow

Every time in this league when he gets it he is within a yard of the centre back and has to play back to goal... I don't get how he isn't finding room

we tend to be attacking against 10 men, when he's had someone playing close to him (mainly Son) we've scored goals

Because it takes us that long to play the ball in everyone is marked.
We went through a phase of this last year as well. Hopefully it's just adjustment time for whatever tweaks poch has made in the closed season.

From The Grauniad

Eric Dier has backed Vincent Janssen to adapt to English football after a testing start to life at Tottenham Hotspur.

The Holland international scored his second goal for the club in the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool in the EFL Cup on Tuesday but has yet to find the net for his new side in the Premier League.
Janssen moved to Spurs from AZ Alkmaar in the summer for around £17m after he scored 27 times in the Eredivisie last season, earning him the 2016 Johan Cruyff Trophy – awarded to the division’s young player of the year. He has yet to establish himself at White Hart Lane, with Mauricio Pochettino opting for Son Heung-min in the absence of the injured Harry Kane.
Dier, who came through Sporting Lisbon’s youth academy before returning to England in 2014, believes the 22-year-old will take time to adapt to his surroundings.
“I can speak from experience, when you come from a different country – he’s come from Holland – it’s not easy,” said Dier after the defeat at Anfield. “People at home may not understand, but he’s come from a different country, a different culture. He moved here by himself. He’s got to get used to a whole new way of training, playing, a whole new way of life. These things take time. It’s only natural he will keep on improving.
“I don’t think he’s been bad. He has great qualities and he’s shown them again today. It’s more a case of the team being better in the final third than one player.”

I agree about playing him and son. They work together and he brings out the best in sons game

he needs movement around him, expecting him to occupy two cb's and play facing the goal isn't going to work

it doesn't work with Harry either, the more he plays the more our AM's will read his intentions and work off him

it reminds me of Benzema's first year at Madrid, they didn't get him straight away as they were just expecting goals and he was in and out of the side

as soon as defenders are shown they can't sit tight as Alli or Son are going to charge into the space behind them to pick up Janssens flick the space will open up

Last edited:
he needs movement around him, expecting him to occupy two cb's and play facing the goal isn't going to work

it doesn't work with Harry either, the more he plays the more our AM's will read his attention and work off him

it reminds me of Benzema's first year at Madrid, they didn't get him straight away as they were just expecting goals and he was in and out of the side

as soon as defenders are shown they can't sit tight as Alli or Son are going to charge into the space behind them to pick up Janssens flick the space will open up

When Kane is fit I'd be an advocate of trying 3 behind Kane and Jansenn (Alli, erisken and son) with Wanyama behind. We would have players there who all score but can also play closely together. Lamella could come in and we can also bring Dembele and sissoko in too

The squad has more flexibility in it that I think we have seen as we have lost a lynch pin player in Kane

look at how he scores all the goals in that youtube clip, he's moving onto the ball with the goal in front of him, not picking it up 30 yards out back to goal

that he does his doggies is to his credit but I doubt we bought him to do that

I still think the aim is to play him with Kane rather than instead of him

look at how he scores all the goals in that youtube clip, he's moving onto the ball with the goal in front of him, not picking it up 30 yards out back to goal

He plays like that for Holland too (only seen him play 3 times for them but he as a 1 in 2 ratio which is better than any striker in England at that level)

We haven't played a single pass into space all season! And as long as we continue on that (blind) path, he ain't gonna get many goals.

Dier, who came through Sporting Lisbon’s youth academy before returning to England in 2014, believes the 22-year-old will take time to adapt to his surroundings.
“I can speak from experience, when you come from a different country – he’s come from Holland – it’s not easy,” said Dier after the defeat at Anfield. “People at home may not understand, but he’s come from a different country, a different culture. He moved here by himself. He’s got to get used to a whole new way of training, playing, a whole new way of life. These things take time. It’s only natural he will keep on improving.
“I don’t think he’s been bad. He has great qualities and he’s shown them again today. It’s more a case of the team being better in the final third than one player.”

Been saying this for ages, having lived and worked in several countries i know from experiance that it takes time to adjust to all the above.

I am amazed that there are still fans who do not understand this.

Been saying this for ages, having lived and worked in several countries i know from experiance that it takes time to adjust to all the above.

I am amazed that there are still fans who do not understand this.

Dier is hardly going to say 'he is a useless Dutch muppet and we dont know why the club got him in'. is he?
These things are said as you well know to ease pressure on players in the press, Like Klopp with Sturridge or Mourinho with any given player ATM.
Yes he needs time. We all agree on that. He will get at least till next summer for starters.

Dier is hardly going to say 'he is a useless Dutch muppet and we dont know why the club got him in'. is he?
These things are said as you well know to ease pressure on players in the press, Like Klopp with Sturridge or Mourinho with any given player ATM.
Yes he needs time. We all agree on that. He will get at least till next summer for starters.

Disagree, Dier said it because it is true. And if you ask anyone who has moved to another country they would say ( in most cases) they found the same thing.

Disagree, Dier said it because it is true. And if you ask anyone who has moved to another country they would say ( in most cases) they found the same thing.

An old git like me, moving to next door yes is unsettling ;), but these 'young' footballers globetrot on a very regular bases. Yes to some extent there is a settling period country wise. What is more relevant is the difference in the leagues.

Back