• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

"After Tottenham make first ‘miserly’ offer, their second bid is somehow even lower"

http://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham-make-first-miserly-offer-second-bid-somehow-even-lower/

See, now *this* is more like the Tottenham I know. None of this wildly exciting, elite-sounding Bale/Alves clap trap - this is just a story about us offering 3m euros for Pau, being laughed off (because his release clause is 7m)...

...and returning with a munificent, gold-plated second offer of....

...2m.

*Lower* than the previous one.

Yeah, I think Madrid won't exactly have to worry about us swooping in and blazing wads of cash at them for Bale any time soon. :D

Sportwitness

Has anyone thought to ask We8Campbell who we will sign? I remember when he told me that we were going to sign Vieira! And that was after Vieira's Arsenal days.

We can't lose sight of the fact that we are where we are because our best signings are long term punts. I think we've beat other bigger payers to he likes of Bale and Dele, because we've prioritised them within our budget. Everyone knew about them, but other teams budgets have prioritised instant success signings. Next season, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool are all under pressure to improve immediately, and so will target short term superstar signings again. We should be signing the young Fulham lad and similar.

we shouldn't lose sight of that of course but we have also successfully targeted established players to go straight in to the first XI - Lloris/Vertonghen/Alderweireld/Wanyama/Dembele/Son of the current first team squad, you can also chuck in the likes of Trippier Davies and Lamela too - in fact established players clearly make up the bulk of our good transfer work, it's just the Dier/Alli/Bale types are the ones which stand out more because of the low fee/lower expectations from the beginning

both approaches need to be considered with regards to strengthening the squad

we shouldn't lose sight of that of course but we have also successfully targeted established players to go straight in to the first XI - Lloris/Vertonghen/Alderweireld/Wanyama/Dembele/Son of the current first team squad, you can also chuck in the likes of Trippier Davies and Lamela too - in fact established players clearly make up the bulk of our good transfer work, it's just the Dier/Alli/Bale types are the ones which stand out more because of the low fee/lower expectations from the beginning

both approaches need to be considered with regards to strengthening the squad
True. It's the soldado, sissoko signings that stand out when they don't work.
Most of the signings you've quoted were still under the radar of the big payers in terms of appeasing fans with superstar quality - it backs up what I'm saying. Still don't know how we got Alderweireld and Wanyama for peanuts though.

Most of the signings you've quoted were still under the radar of the big payers in terms of appeasing fans with superstar quality - it backs up what I'm saying. Still don't know how we got Alderweireld and Wanyama for peanuts though.

we're in an interesting position atm, relatively speaking in England we arent big spenders, in terms of wages, but outside of the PL we can probably match anyone outside of the two Spanish clubs and the money doped ones - so with Wembley and then NWHL on the horizon, consecutive title challenges and CL campaigns i wonder whether we might be in a position to raise the level of our targets... could we tempt, for example, players from clubs at an Athletico Madrid/Dortmund level? not saying we can prize those particular clubs prized assets away, but i think we're a much more attractive proposition than not so long ago - and with a squad that doesn't need wholesale changes maybe we can think a bit bigger if we're only looking for one 'key' signing per window, whilst still being able to target the likes of Sessegnon and other similar youngsters

Levy? While we have a few misses, we also have an insane list of buys over last decade that I don't think any other club is close to matching

Wanyama, Toby, Dele, Eriksen, Lloris, Dier, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Bale, Berbatov, Modric, Carrick - not a single one over 15M, about half under 5M ...

Back