• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

I'm not doubting that there is a benefit to signing players early. Just suggesting some reasons why signing early might not always be the best option. And some alternative explanations to why players signed early seemed to do better (your description).

I think we all agree that we need to bring in a couple players. That's not really up for discussion from where I'm sitting. If the reasoning Pochettino gives in a press conference is the true reason for that is another question I suppose.

I'm not seeing much from Pochettino indicating that he thinks signing players early is crucial.

A good stary to the season is important. And up to the players that were already here last season. I'm delighted we're not having to trust new signings for that.
I personally don't think that the late business is mainly getting a bargain but if we try before the richer clubs finish their business the club or the players agent will tout the player to the usual suspects and if a player improves us it improves them, financially we can't compete.

We were linked with lemar early but as soon as arsenal were in the conversation had to look elsewhere

You are absolutely right with this. You are buying a player anticipating them to be a success, so to have to then sell the player for £50m when other strikers are going for far more is basically saying Leicester are paying a £25m loan fee. It's a short term measure allowing a smaller club to be able to get a higher quality player.
But could be a 25m development fee from city?

Last edited:
That was Harry Kane before he got into the Spurs side after his loan moves.
Jamie Slabba, Caulker, Kane and now Edward's were youth team players I was really aware of at youth level and being told that they were going to be good enough... It was only after his games for the first team (or Leicester loan) where it was decided he was not very good.

Apparently City think they can still provide a pathway for him to the first team. He has more chance of climbing Mt.Everest.

Just sign for us and him and Edwards can start tearing it up in a couple of seasons.

Surprised us or city didn't tie his into the Walker deal. Either says we aren't that interested or City genuinely want to sort things out with him, otherwise it would have been an easy trade.

This article states that City refused to let him be part of the Walker deal

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/08/02...es-to-force-arsenal-or-tottenham-move-report/

I've never seen him play but he seems very highly rated so hopefully it's us who can do a deal with him and not Arse or Chelski. Depends on his motivation. If it's money then we wont compete.

If it's money, he's better off staying where he is.

I've never seen him play but he seems very highly rated so hopefully it's us who can do a deal with him and not Arse or Chelski. Depends on his motivation. If it's money then we wont compete.

Hard to see why he'd go to cheatski - even less chance of break-through there than Man C, and if its about the money then he would have stayed where he is.

Never seen him play but would seem like 50/50 chance of getting him if we're intereted

Transfer spending by managers since 2010:

José Mourinho 887 million euro

Pep Guardiola 789 million euro,
Carlo Ancelotti (768 million euro),
Massimiliano Allegri (684 million euro),
Roberto Mancini (563 million euro),
Manuel Pellegrini (563 million euro),
Antonio Conte (511 million euro),
Arsène Wenger (505 million euro).

Transfer spending by managers since 2010:

José Mourinho 887 million euro

Pep Guardiola 789 million euro,
Carlo Ancelotti (768 million euro),
Massimiliano Allegri (684 million euro),
Roberto Mancini (563 million euro),
Manuel Pellegrini (563 million euro),
Antonio Conte (511 million euro),
Arsène Wenger (505 million euro).

Brian Clough would be moaning in his grave!

Back