• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Maribor OMT ***

I don't think we should be playing Vertonghen or Walker, both need a break. Bale probably does as well so I'd say Naughton at RB and Townsend at LB. He's played there before and has got the pace to get himself out of tricky situations, and hopefully will have cover from the midfield.

Essentially, Walker has been brick, and playing him constantly doesn't seem to be remedying the situation, perhaps a small break to let him fully focus on his preparations for Sunday would be for the best? Vertonghen's form is good but many have noticed him running out of energy for the last ten minutes, so again imo a rest is needed.

Naughton can certainly use the game time and Townsend probably needs some confidence as well, at home against Maribor with cover, he should be able to get a decent performance under his belt even if it's not where he'd 100% be wanting to play.

Daws and Caulker in, letting Dawson know that Gallas's position in the XI for City certainly isn't guaranteed.

As for CM, fudge knows really. Carroll has shown glimpses of quality so perhaps him alongside Hudd makes the most sense.

Then Falque right, Dempsey left, Siggy in the middle, Ade up top. Ade will bring out Siggys and Dempsey's quality hopefully.

-------------------- Lloris
Naughton - Dawson - Caulker - Townsend
--------------- Hudd - Carroll
Falque ------------- Sig ---------- Dempsey
----------------------Ade

I don't think we should be playing Vertonghen or Walker, both need a break. Bale probably does as well so I'd say Naughton at RB and Townsend at LB. He's played there before and has got the pace to get himself out of tricky situations, and hopefully will have cover from the midfield.

Essentially, Walker has been brick, and playing him constantly doesn't seem to be remedying the situation, perhaps a small break to let him fully focus on his preparations for Sunday would be for the best? Vertonghen's form is good but many have noticed him running out of energy for the last ten minutes, so again imo a rest is needed.

Naughton can certainly use the game time and Townsend probably needs some confidence as well, at home against Maribor with cover, he should be able to get a decent performance under his belt even if it's not where he'd 100% be wanting to play.

Daws and Caulker in, letting Dawson know that Gallas's position in the XI for City certainly isn't guaranteed.

As for CM, fudge knows really. Carroll has shown glimpses of quality so perhaps him alongside Hudd makes the most sense.

Then Falque right, Dempsey left, Siggy in the middle, Ade up top. Ade will bring out Siggys and Dempsey's quality hopefully.

-------------------- Lloris
Naughton - Dawson - Caulker - Townsend
--------------- Hudd - Carroll
Falque ------------- Sig ---------- Dempsey
----------------------Ade

Dempsey on the left makes my eyes bleed

Now that you mention it, I might do that instead of the obvious switching positions with Hudd.

Huddlestone has neither the mobility, nor engine, nor agility to perform the DM role well. Even so - you'd be sacrificing one of his good aspects (passing) by forcing him to play the destroyer - something as familiar to him as ancient Egyptian algebra. Livermore in for Sandro - like for like.

We haven't seen Dempsey on the left with Ade playing though. Ironically I think Pienaar would fit it that line up pretty well on the left...

Huddlestone has neither the mobility, nor engine, nor agility to perform the DM role well. Even so - you'd be sacrificing one of his good aspects (passing) by forcing him to play the destroyer - something as familiar to him as ancient Egyptian algebra. Livermore in for Sandro - like for like.

The role of the destroyer is played when the opponents have the ball.

The role of the passer is played when we have the ball.

One doesn't really influence the other. Just like not being a particularly good passer doesn't influence Sandro's tackling.

The role of the destroyer is played when the opponents have the ball.

The role of the passer is played when we have the ball.

One doesn't really influence the other. Just like not being a particularly good passer doesn't influence Sandro's tackling.

Your answer is barely related to the question - not sure what your point is other than stating what is fairly obvious, tbh.

In addition - you want to utilise our only mid with decent range of passing by playing him as a defensive mid while we have like for like cover on the bench which would allow his far more freedom on the ball to do what he does best - i.e. exercise his above average passing range?

Your answer is barely related to the question - not sure what your point is other than stating what is fairly obvious, tbh.

In addition - you want to utilise our only mid with decent range of passing by playing him as a defensive mid while we have like for like cover on the bench which would allow his far more freedom on the ball to do what he does best - i.e. exercise his above average passing range?

I just don't understand why playing in a deep role would influence Hudd's passing? I think the deeper role is the best for him and his abilities on the ball actually.

What we need to do is attack, if Livermore should get a role it should be the box to box role next to Hudd who should sit deep and dictate play the way he does so well. I don't think Livermore is a like for like replacement for Sandro at all, I actually think he's better than Sandro on the ball although obviously not as good all round. More of a Jenas type than Sandro is who is almost a pure ball winning defensive midfielder.

By playing Hudd alongside an attacking-mid who will inevitably drift forward (Sigurdsson) and a ball-playing Carroll (the original formation which sparked this grand 'debate') - big man would be left with the task of mopping and breaking up attacks, tackling their advancing units and sit infront of the CBs. All this tasks would inevitably proritise against his passing and reduce his effectivness in the one thing (or strongest aspect if you will) he does really well.

Insread - by playing Livermore and issuing him the task of tackling down, chasing, and destroying their movement - he'd have far more freedom and time to grab hold of the midfield and dictate his passing game.

Last edited:
By playing Hudd alongside an attacking-mid who will inevitably drift forward (Sigurdsson) and a ball-playing Carroll (the original formation which sparked this grand 'debate') - big man would be left with the task of mopping and breaking up attacks, tackling their advancing units and sit infront of the CBs. All this tasks would inevitably proritise against his passing and reduce his effectivness in the one thing (or strongest aspect if you will) he does really well.

Insread - by playing Livermore and issuing him the task of tackling down, chasing, and destroying their movement - he'd have far more freedom and time to grab hold of the midfield and dictate his passing game.

Seen Hudd take that role alongside Modric in the past against much better sides than Maribor with both good performances and results.

The way Hudd works best is with play ahead of him and with a bit of time on the ball. He doesn't get that by pushing forward where his weaknesses are more exposed. Some of the games alongside Sandro we pushed Hudd forward and Sandro sat deep, it didn't really work as Sandro isn't a deep playmaker and Hudd isn't an attacking midfielder. I see no reason to think it would work that much better alongside Livermore.

The deep role is Hudd's natural role, we can obviously bring Livermore in alongside him if he's fit to give us more athleticism, but if he's not then the natural player to have next to him is Carroll.

He doesn't have to push forward at all (or not as much as you're implying, at least - a playmaker doesn't have to sit deep in order to be efficient btw) - simply be offered more time on the ball by having Livermore perform the 'dirty' work.

I have now explained my resaoning in 5-6 posts largerly repeating the same aspects using different wording - not sure what more there is to add, tbh. Deployment on the field of play (deep vs. further up) and 'defensive' tasks (for a lack of better word) are two completely separate aspects. Hudd's efficiency and passing game are largerly compromised if the latter are 'increased', hence my initial suggestion.

Last edited:
He doesn't have to push forward at all (or not as much as you're implying, at least - a playmaker doesn't have to sit deep in toder to be efficient btw) - simply be offered more time on the ball by having Livermore perform the 'dirty' work.

I have now explained my resaoning in 5-6 posts largerly repeating the same aspects using different wording - not sure what more there is to add, tbh. Deployment on the field of play (deep vs. further up) and 'defensive' tasks (for a lack of better word) are two completely separate aspects. Hudd's efficiency and passing game are largerly compromised if the latter are 'increased', hence my initial suggestion.

I still don't see how him being given defensive responsibilities when opponents have the ball will impact his ability to be the playmaker when we have the ball, but fair enough we can always just leave it at that.

Seen Hudd take that role alongside Modric in the past against much better sides than Maribor with both good performances and results.

The way Hudd works best is with play ahead of him and with a bit of time on the ball. He doesn't get that by pushing forward where his weaknesses are more exposed. Some of the games alongside Sandro we pushed Hudd forward and Sandro sat deep, it didn't really work as Sandro isn't a deep playmaker and Hudd isn't an attacking midfielder. I see no reason to think it would work that much better alongside Livermore.

The deep role is Hudd's natural role, we can obviously bring Livermore in alongside him if he's fit to give us more athleticism, but if he's not then the natural player to have next to him is Carroll.

When he was fitter and more in form though.

He doesn't have to push forward at all (or not as much as you're implying, at least - a playmaker doesn't have to sit deep in order to be efficient btw) - simply be offered more time on the ball by having Livermore perform the 'dirty' work.

I think this general line of thinking is what the likes of Saachi had a problem with. Where tasks are split up and performed by individuals rather than the collective. Barca don't employ a specific 'destroyer' because they perform these duties together.

It's common sense to say the more you have of the ball, the more you can do with it. Whether he was playing alongside Livermore, Sandro or Modric I would expect Tommy to press and tackle the same.

I think this general line of thinking is what the likes of Saachi had a problem with. Where tasks are split up and performed by individuals rather than the collective. Barca don't employ a specific 'destroyer' because they perform these duties together.

It's common sense to say the more you have of the ball, the more you can do with it. Whether he was playing alongside Livermore, Sandro or Modric I would expect Tommy to press and tackle the same.

Which works well if the best players in world want and do play for you.

Back