• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

A lot of Spurs fans were cranky when a stadium naming rights deal didn't instantly materialize. But by naming it The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Levy has gradually built up greater international awareness of the club as more and more events begin to get scheduled. That in itself is hugely valuable for the club's image.

Now, when we see the likes of Beyonce booking five concerts, read or hear rave reviews about the stadium from NFL players and officials and enjoy the jealous remarks from rival football fans, we know how shrewdly Levy has operated in developing the stadium. When a naming rights deal eventually comes, it's easy to imagine it will earn a substantial annual fee for many years.

And by that time, Spurs won't need any additional branding development. Just a skilled engraver.

Yeah, I get that, hence my estimate. Some people will no doubt head in on public transport, do the thing, eat food within the stadium (assuming it's available), spend some money at the club shop, then get back on a train home. Others will spend on a cab, go to a local pub for a meal and a pint after, etc. Averaging that out gives my £30pp -- which means 2000 Skywalk punters per week to get to that figure. Which seems a little high. But it's probably reasonably close if you're taking everyone doing the general tour.

Or am I being a massive skinflint here?!

Would cost me £15 to get there, would be probably £20 for lunch and a beer, if you go in the club shop and purchased even the smallest trinket like a fridge magnet thats another £5-£10.

The cost of the attraction is from £28, £35 with a tour, I imagine a fair few do the tour and edge walk as one whilst they are there

I would say for a decent day out you are looking at £50 all, I am sure that probably averages down for discounts, groups and families

Would cost me £15 to get there, would be probably £20 for lunch and a beer, if you go in the club shop and purchased even the smallest trinket like a fridge magnet thats another £5-£10.

The cost of the attraction is from £28, £35 with a tour, I imagine a fair few do the tour and edge walk as one whilst they are there

I would say for a decent day out you are looking at £50 all, I am sure that probably averages down for discounts, groups and families
Gotcha on that, but is the in-stadium spend counted as part of "boosting the local economy"? I would say not. So you've got £35 local (assuming that all your transport counts as local spend) plus £45 going to our wonderful club, despite being one of the higher spenders.

Gotcha on that, but is the in-stadium spend counted as part of "boosting the local economy"? I would say not. So you've got £35 local (assuming that all your transport counts as local spend) plus £45 going to our wonderful club, despite being one of the higher spenders.

Spurs are a part of the local economy. So i'd think it would count.

I could only assume it does because of a number of staff working at the club being local etc.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

These things would include staff at club being added to support the tours (their travel and spend), probably more staff at local bars/restaurants (not just match days), taxi/cabs, local spend (e.g. did the people walk up from seven sisters)

Yeah, I get that, hence my estimate. Some people will no doubt head in on public transport, do the thing, eat food within the stadium (assuming it's available), spend some money at the club shop, then get back on a train home. Others will spend on a cab, go to a local pub for a meal and a pint after, etc. Averaging that out gives my £30pp -- which means 2000 Skywalk punters per week to get to that figure. Which seems a little high. But it's probably reasonably close if you're taking everyone doing the general tour.

Or am I being a massive skinflint here?!
I’m not sure maths is your strong point mate. ;)
2,000 people a week, spending an average of £30 each would equate to only £3.12m a year (2,000 x 30 x 52)

I suspect they are talking about the value to the local economy from ALL events (including Spurs games) in that £300m figure and even that might be a stretch.

I’m not sure maths is your strong point mate. ;)
2,000 people a week, spending an average of £30 each would equate to only £3.12m a year (2,000 x 30 x 52)

I suspect they are talking about the value to the local economy from ALL events (including Spurs games) in that £300m figure and even that might be a stretch.
Balls, you're right! What are a few zeroes between friends anyway?

Yeah, so that £300m figure is MASSIVE. Adding them zeroes back in, and counting in-stadium spend as benefitting the local economy (so let's say £60pp average), you'd be talking 100,000 visitors per week. Which is in the right order of magnitude for "all events at the stadium", at least. Include ticket prices and it's probably about right.

Looking back over my old files the government would use direct economical impact, indirect and passive (induced) impact to calculate figures, induced being those figures connected to changes not planned but happened as a result. I imagine the club has taken some licence with the figure and swept in a number of local businesses and included salaries of all staff at work 7 days a week etc

These figures are always hard to pin down, but I think ultimately what can be agreed is that Spurs and the extended businesses are a force for good in the local area, as someone who spent years living in Edmonton I could not be anymore prouder of the club for that

Beyoncé: Tottenham Hotspur breaches licence with extra gig

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64860233

Oops. Doesn't look too clever. A ball dropped, or were we just chancing our arm that it would be allowed?
Either way it's not great optics when one would assume that the club would want to increase the number of events allowed as part of the license at some point in the future (and probably the near future). It is likely to be extremely difficult to get approval for increasing the allowable number of events when coming in with previous for already not sticking to the terms of the license.

Either way it's not great optics when one would assume that the club would want to increase the number of events allowed as part of the license at some point in the future (and probably the near future). It is likely to be extremely difficult to get approval for increasing the allowable number of events when coming in with previous for already not sticking to the terms of the license.
In the words of a great manager.

'Lads, it's Haringey'.

Local government and planning runs entirely on brown envelopes. There will be plenty from this to grease those wheels. We'll end up paying £500k for two new bus shelters on the high road (incorporating 10 all-expenses paid "fact-finding" trips to Sorrento) or something.

Not ideal but its how local government works, you have to push buttons and take strokes to get things to work. The Olympic Stadium bluff just the tip of the Iceberg of what needs to happen to push things through

Back