• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Excluding League cup

20 points from 27 available when he's played 90 minutes this season. 2.22 points per game.
7 points from 21 available without him this season. 1 point per game.

Would be interesting to know what this injury is and how it went from being something that was thought to be so minor at first, now turning into around 6 weeks injured.

Excluding League cup

20 points from 27 available when he's played 90 minutes this season. 2.22 points per game.

No Suprise there

He is the best defender in the league by some way

There isn't a better centre back playing in Europe. There are some decent ones hyped up due to transfer fees and the clubs they play for, but I can't bane one that's a patch on him

Excluding League cup

Look I like Toby a lot but this is an example of correlation not necessarily equalling causation. We have not lost points because we have been poor defensively yesterday aside, but because we can't score. He played in the loss to Monaco of course so it's not like his presence significantly improved our performances in the Champions League. Unless you are making the point that not having Alderweireld affects us in attack I think it is just that our loss of form coincides with him being out rather than because he is out.

Look I like Toby a lot but this is an example of correlation not necessarily equalling causation. We have not lost points because we have been poor defensively yesterday aside, but because we can't score. He played in the loss to Monaco of course so it's not like his presence significantly improved our performances in the Champions League. Unless you are making the point that not having Alderweireld affects us in attack I think it is just that our loss of form coincides with him being out rather than because he is out.

Champions league argument is fair although his experience would have been invaluable

In the prem he is a big part of what allows us to play higher up the pitch due to his reading if the game. That also frees Verts to play his football too. That in turns helps us press higher and start it from the front

Would be interesting to know what this injury is and how it went from being something that was thought to be so minor at first, now turning into around 6 weeks injured.
They said that he got a knock on the nerve outside his knee, and it is a strange injury... certainly is! Surely if getting a knock on the knee can damage a nerve, it would happen every week to someone.

I'm concerned it is something strange which they may not quite know how to fix.

Dunno. He's already had one setback that's delayed his return, and might yet have another.

We do need him, though. We're nothing without him, absolutely nothing - our team is a hollow shambles when he isn't around, as we're discovering to our dismay. :(

'...a hollow shambles...'???
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The entire side knits together when he's around. He instructs the defense, and they all grow brains because he's on the pitch. Lloris doesn't need to be as risky with his passing, and we keep possession more.The defensive midfielders can get a bit further forward, because he's at the back sorting things. That means the attacking midfielders can push further up, confident that they're free to create and press as high as possible. And the strikers can feed off the pinpoint long balls he plays, so they make those runs more than they otherwise would.

The team as a whole grows into a different, actually capable beast when he plays. Without him, the pack of cards collapses with alarming regularity. :( We used to be similarly reliant on Ledley, back in the day.

Now THIS is more on point for me. He does have a Ledley-esque quality to him, and is certainly of huge importance to us...

Here's hoping Poch gets to play a first-choice first 11 a lot more in 2017...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He has a great track record of being fit. Played the last two season every game pretty much and didn't play as much at atketico due to their centre backs being settled

I don't think he gets injured too much, yeah. But when he *is* out, we are bang in trouble.

I don't think he gets injured too much, yeah. But when he *is* out, we are bang in trouble.

It's not because of the defence though that suffers. It's because we lose the press as he plays the sweeper role and it means Verts or him can push on creating more papers in the midfield

It's not because of the defence though that suffers. It's because we lose the press as he plays the sweeper role and it means Verts or him can push on creating more papers in the midfield

Possibly - I tend to look at it more holistically, in that everyone just feels safer when he's around, and can take more risks than they would if he were absent, which leads to more aggressive pressing and forward moves, which leads to more cohesion and chances.

Possibly - I tend to look at it more holistically, in that everyone just feels safer when he's around, and can take more risks than they would if he were absent, which leads to more aggressive pressing and forward moves, which leads to more cohesion and chances.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Tiny plays and the whole team gains 5 yards

He also is a threat from set pieces

Back