• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

The difference between third and fourth is fudging huge, even if you wouldn't think it.

To answer the previous question, yes they did change the seeding. If you won a brick league, you got to play in the Champions' route, if you got there via league position without winning it, you got the other one.

Team 1 Agg. Team 2 1st leg 2nd leg
Champions Route
Wisła Krak??w 2ÔÇô3 APOEL 1ÔÇô0 1ÔÇô3
Maccabi Haifa 3ÔÇô3 (1ÔÇô4p) Genk 2ÔÇô1 1ÔÇô2 (aet)
Dinamo Zagreb 4ÔÇô3 Malm? FF 4ÔÇô1 0ÔÇô2
Copenhagen 2ÔÇô5 Viktoria Plzeň 1ÔÇô3 1ÔÇô2
BATE Borisov 3ÔÇô1 Sturm Graz 1ÔÇô1 2ÔÇô0
League Route
Odense 1ÔÇô3 Villarreal 1ÔÇô0 0ÔÇô3
Twente 3ÔÇô5 Benfica 2ÔÇô2 1ÔÇô3
Arsenal 3ÔÇô1 Udinese 1ÔÇô0 2ÔÇô1
Bayern Munich 3ÔÇô0 Z??rich 2ÔÇô0 1ÔÇô0
Lyon 4ÔÇô2 Rubin Kazan 3ÔÇô1 1ÔÇô1

So if we'd have come 4th last year instead of Arsenal, we'd have been drawn in with:

Villarreal (4th in Spain, were in Emirates Marketing Project's group and are currently looking extremely likely to get relegated, this year this could be Valencia (drew with Real Madrid at the Bernabeu over the weekend, but the third and fourth spots are wide open. Bilbao outplayed Man United by a distance in both legs and they were second half of the Spanish table the last I looked. Osasuna are in with a shout, they beat Barca earlier in the season. We don't want the 4th Spanish side.)

Bayern Munich (Currently in the semi final of the competition, they're playing Real Madrid for the chance to play in the final against Barca. Bayern completely fudged City when they played them, by the second match they were through and rested their first team.)

Benfica (Not a great side, but got to the quarter finals of the Champion's League, dominated Chelsea at the Bridge despite having 10 men and giving away a penalty.)

Udinese (Were unfortunate to lose to Arsenal this year. But this could be Lazio next year, Napoli are behind them in the league.)

Lyon (Got out of the group stages this year, they aren't special but it's not an easy game. This looks likely to be Lyon or Lille this year. Marsille are way down the league, despite getting all the way to the quarter final against Bayern this year.)

Rubin Kazan - We know these guys. It didn't work out that well for us, plus a trip to Russia is never fun.

Twente - Did well in the Europa League this year.

Odense
Z??rich

I admit, I have no clue about the last two, but I think they had to go through a bunch of other qualification rounds anyway. But with us thrown in there instead of Arsenal, it wouldn't have been a comfortable draw for us. There is a huge chance of hitting a big team. fudge the qualification round.

The icing on the cake of turds though is, when you put in a bid for that world class striker, he will look at the league and see we weren't anywhere near the title and then he'll say "bid again when you're in the Champions League", we can't buy anyone until we're in the main competition. No one will come here without being sure we have Champions League football next season and I don't just mean one match of two legs. Unless we buy from a tiny club anyway, but I don't see Hazard abandoning Champions League football and watching his old team play in it all year.

So that's the first problem and it is a fudging major problem.

The second problem is a kick in the balls. The second problem is that the TV money from the Champions League depends on your league position.

We got ?ú37 mil from the season we were in it. (Including gate recipes, prize money, etc.)

I'm just going to quote theswissramble because he explains it better than I would:

Around ?ú27 million (Ôé¼31.1 million) of that is included in TV revenue, comprising Ôé¼7.2 million participation (awarded to every team that plays in the group stages), Ôé¼9.5 million performance bonus for reaching the quarter-final and Ôé¼14.4 million from the TV (market) pool. Not much to complain about there, though the allocation for the TV pool is lower than the other English clubs (Chelsea Ôé¼27 million, Manchester United Ôé¼25.9 million and Arsenal Ôé¼16.6 million).

This is because of the methodology used to allocate this element, which is as follows: (a) Half depends on the position that the club finished in the previous seasonÔÇÖs Premier League with the team coming first receiving 40%, second 30%, third 20% and fourth 10%. As Spurs came fourth in the 2009/10 Premier League, they receive much less than the others. (b) Half depends on the progress in the current seasonÔÇÖs Champions League, which is based on the number of games played.

We got a round further than Arsenal, but they got more money than us despite them not making it to the quarter finals (they got round of 16), so we made 2.2 million euros less than them. Chelsea got to the same round as us and they made double what we made because of the league positions of the two clubs.

Added together with the extra 775k or so from the league position in the Premier League and trying to convince new signings that they're going to be fighting for the title and the gap becomes big. I'd rather take money from Arsenal than give it to them. The fact that we got a round further than they did makes it look like a small amount of money, but if we'd finished in the same round but been third that year, that's a nice chunk of money we'd have taken from them.

Arsenal rely on the CL money because of their business model too, if they can't finish 5th, then I'd prefer them to be 4th... If they'd finished 5th they'd be in danger of not meeting Finacial Fair Play rules, which would only mean a small fine but would be so fudging funny I wouldn't care if the fine was insanely small. It'd have made them sell a player or two too, so for us to be the ones not secure with CL football despite that 13 point lead, it's really disappointing. Plus, as we've shown lately and we almost showed last time, we're more than capable of fudging up an easy CL qualification game, if we got one of the really top teams it'd be really uncomfortable.

Thanks for the info, Fuego. It makes interesting if painful reading to see what we have thrown away in the last few months.

Letting Corluka go was as stupid as it gets, Walker has been a shambles recently and needs a rest

Friedel, Cudicini, Gomes, Corluka, King:)(), Bassong, Nelsen, Khumalo, Bentley, Jenas, Modric, Bale, Pienaar, Kranjcar, Bale, Giovani, Defoe, Saha, Adebayor

bye.gif

Not to underestimate the disadvantages of finishing 4th compared to 3rd, but just a couple of corrections:

So if we'd have come 4th last year instead of Arsenal, we'd have been drawn in with:

Villarreal (4th in Spain, were in Emirates Marketing Project's group and are currently looking extremely likely to get relegated, this year this could be Valencia (drew with Real Madrid at the Bernabeu over the weekend, but the third and fourth spots are wide open. Bilbao outplayed Man United by a distance in both legs and they were second half of the Spanish table the last I looked. Osasuna are in with a shout, they beat Barca earlier in the season. We don't want the 4th Spanish side.)

Bayern Munich (Currently in the semi final of the competition, they're playing Real Madrid for the chance to play in the final against Barca. Bayern completely fudged City when they played them, by the second match they were through and rested their first team.)

Benfica ....
If we'd come 4th last year we'd have been seeded in the CL play-off draw, as Arsenal were, and could only have been drawn against one of the unseeded teams: FC Twente, Rubin Kazan, Udinese, Zurich or Odense. If we are in next season's CL play-off we would be very likely to be seeded.

We got a round further than Arsenal, but they got more money than us despite them not making it to the quarter finals (they got round of 16), so we made 2.2 million euros less than them....

In total we got more from UEFA's CL distribution than Arsenal did. Although we got 2.15m euros less than them from the TV market pool we got 3.3m euros more in performance bonuses.

Letting Corluka go was as stupid as it gets, Walker has been a shambles recently and needs a rest

Couldn't disagree any more..

If you're to say Walker has been a shambles, then I dread to think what you'd describe Corluka as being. Yes Walker could, along with many others, do with a break - but where's the quality to afford that luxury? Corluka isn't such 'quality' - not by a very long shot; he was shipped out because his performances were dreadful. You can waste your time arguing all you like, but 'Charlie' isn't at the club, and I don't think managers tend to cut their noses off to spite their face too often; were 'Charlie' deemed useful, in any way shape or form, he'd still be at the club. That he isn't, speaks volumes.

He is what he is: expensive, average squad player who's picking up a very tidy wage. That sort of player is unsustainable within our squad; we don't have endless funds to subsidise their average ability, on a whim that someone may become injured and on the hope that 'Charlie' might actually show some form. Not good enough for us, sorry. Leverkusen made an offer, and we deemed it acceptable.

But do waste your time pretending he's amazing; the fact is, he's been moved on - and that says it all.

Not to underestimate the disadvantages of finishing 4th compared to 3rd, but just a couple of corrections:

If we'd come 4th last year we'd have been seeded in the CL play-off draw, as Arsenal were, and could only have been drawn against one of the unseeded teams: FC Twente, Rubin Kazan, Udinese, Zurich or Odense. If we are in next season's CL play-off we would be very likely to be seeded.

Thanks, I completely forgot that part, sorry.

Although, looking at http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html - if Roma would have finished ahead of Udinese, they'd have been seeded above us. So that's one good thing about the Europa League, I guess. Either we get seeded and we avoid the huge teams or we don't and we have a really difficult game.

In total we got more from UEFA's CL distribution than Arsenal did. Although we got 2.15m euros less than them from the TV market pool we got 3.3m euros more in performance bonuses.

Yes, I only meant from the TV part, ignoring the extra game against Real Madrid that we sold out at home, we also got Ôé¼9.5 million for reaching the quarter finals, which is something Arsenal didn't do, but 3rd vs 4th doesn't affect that bonus.

We dont have depth - "Corluka"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17853271

I have to agree with him, although surely he could have stayed and helped out Kyle Walker by being part of the squad rotation.

When you think of it, our second team is pretty poor so no wonder we are fatigued.

Bale - no replacement
Lennon - no replacement
Walker - no replacement
Ade - Saha
VDV - Defoe

Parker - Sandro
Modric - No replacement

Ekotto - Rose (hardly a replacement he's a winger)

Unfortunately though we are stuck in a bit of a vicous cycle as you need to be at the top to have like for like replacements so its gonna be tough.

I say bring on the sugar daddy and buy us a 2nd team.

Last edited:
A lot of Spurs fans have been saying this for months. We knew even in January when Redknapp let the likes of Corluka, Pienaar and Bassong that it would come back to bite us on the arse.

A lot of Spurs fans have been saying this for months. We knew even in January when Redknapp let the likes of Corluka, Pienaar and Bassong that it would come back to bite us on the arse.

yep, everyone on here has been saying it, just thought i would post the link as it just came up on newsnow. It's not all just down to tactics at the end of the day, it must have something to do with tiredness and fitness.

clear dig at Redknapp and he cant be the only one in the squad that feels this way

not a happy ship

Sounds like a dig about not being played enough. I understand Corluka's frustrations (especially considering I rate Corluka as a much better player than Walker), but those comments are very unprofessional.

Defoe-Saha
Kranjcar-Sandro-Huddlestone-Bentley/Pienaar
Rose-Dawson-Gallas-Corluka
Gomes

With a better striker,a top 6 finish wouldnt be a surprise.
The problem is that Harry never ever rotates,unless someone is injured or booked.

Sounds like a dig about not being played enough. I understand Corluka's frustrations (especially considering I rate Corluka as a much better player than Walker), but those comments are very unprofessional.

He is giving an opinion I cannot see any wrong in that, everything he said seemed sensible, the only downer was that he called us "them".

Back