• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The potential players to bring in with only 1 year left on their deal thread

I have no idea whether the whispers of Chiesa are just that, but given he can play all three positions across the front, he could be a relative bargain. He would add experience with a dash of remaining youth, versatility, and not necessarily stand in the way of youthful progress i.e. Moore thanks to that versatility.

I would be happy with Richy/Son as the CFs and Lankshear off the bench for 15-20 mins.

I think Lankshear has the intelligence of movement (he sees near-post runs for nexample, love that) and he is a lot more than just physicality and 'thump'. He knows how to be where you need to score goals, and he's a presence. From what I'm seeing he has the personality to step up. IF we sell Richy I'd expect us to buy a replacement, but otherwise I see no need for a forward like that. @Finney Is Back he's a kid so yes, he has plenty to learn, but he shows the appetite to want to, the hunger to do so, and already has enough about him in terms of reading moments to be an impact off the bench. His height and physicality does also give you an option in terms of style should you want to go basic. I personally have seen enough in his intelligent movement (last season not just in two friendlies BTW) to convince me he is a real talent. I think he could surprise us. The logic of a good (emphasis on good) loan is sound, but I'd be inclined to take the punt here and see how he does.

So one injury to either Son or Richy (injury prone) would leave us with a youth academy with no senior appearance to his name in a season where we want to compete across multiple fronts? Seems like a gamble as risky as having no viable CB back up going in to last season imo

Perhaps Kulu could workout long term as a 9 but I don't really see Johnson / Werner thriving there

So one injury to either Son or Richy (injury prone) would leave us with a youth academy with no senior appearance to his name in a season where we want to compete across multiple fronts? Seems like a gamble as risky as having no viable CB back up going in to last season imo

Perhaps Kulu could workout long term as a 9 but I don't really see Johnson / Werner thriving there
It looks like Kulu is being asked to play more central now
And he did a better job in his very very brief cameo as CF than I expected
He was certainly more of a presence than Sonny had been in that role and I guess it comes down to what Ange wants

We had a link with Mario Hermoso yesterday. A free agent LB/LCB, who might be a different option to keeping Davies on?

It looks like Kulu is being asked to play more central now
And he did a better job in his very very brief cameo as CF than I expected
He was certainly more of a presence than Sonny had been in that role and I guess it comes down to what Ange wants

Kulu certainly moves the ball quicker when playing in the centre and is looking to play 1/2's and first touch passes.

I would be happy with Richy/Son as the CFs and Lankshear off the bench for 15-20 mins.

I think Lankshear has the intelligence of movement (he sees near-post runs for nexample, love that) and he is a lot more than just physicality and 'thump'. He knows how to be where you need to score goals, and he's a presence. From what I'm seeing he has the personality to step up. IF we sell Richy I'd expect us to buy a replacement, but otherwise I see no need for a forward like that. @Finney Is Back he's a kid so yes, he has plenty to learn, but he shows the appetite to want to, the hunger to do so, and already has enough about him in terms of reading moments to be an impact off the bench. His height and physicality does also give you an option in terms of style should you want to go basic. I personally have seen enough in his intelligent movement (last season not just in two friendlies BTW) to convince me he is a real talent. I think he could surprise us. The logic of a good (emphasis on good) loan is sound, but I'd be inclined to take the punt here and see how he does.

In my idea of footballing utopia I would swap Richy out for better quality and have Lankshear as understudy for various reasons including what you said. But we all seem to want perfect scenarios which don't exist in football, in that I mean people want guaranteed depth, chances for youth and a pathway that is not blocked for the academy and some of those wishes are not compatible so you have to make the hard choices. Mine would be as you say, have a recognised operator and yeh maybe walk abit of a tight rope on the next cab off the rank being youth but its one place not asking youth to fill in 5 slots (which IMO is when you see a major regression on performance). There is millions invested in the academy not least the time which also equates to money, there has to be routes to them getting chances

I certainly see that perspective, absolutely. It would be a gamble. Personally I'd take it if Lankshear is to be used this season (a caveat there is we would need to manage him well physically as this is a whiole other level). My preference would be to buy one more attacking player who can cover CF and a wide position too.

Trying to limp on with son at CF is a huge worry for me
Offers no presence, ball retention or any fear for a CB
Unless we change to counter attacking we would have to keep and play the youth strikers

Last edited:

It would be dangerous to rely on just Lankshear. But if we rely on Lankshear plus Veliz plus Scarlett plus Deki then I suppose we muddle through.
I agree with others that Son is the real issue... he is hugely important in terms of the club marketing and captaincy and feel around the dressing room and can be absolutely brilliant, but can also be absolute balsa wood when trying to wrestle centre backs.

It would be dangerous to rely on just Lankshear. But if we rely on Lankshear plus Veliz plus Scarlett plus Deki then I suppose we muddle through.
I agree with others that Son is the real issue... he is hugely important in terms of the club marketing and captaincy and feel around the dressing room and can be absolutely brilliant, but can also be absolute balsa wood when trying to wrestle centre backs.

17 goals and 10 assists in 35 PL games last season tells us he is still vital to everything we do.

Can't rely on Lankshear, Veliz and Scarlett imo. A couple of them will have to go out on loan or we'll not be able to give them enough game time.

Several ways of fixing the balance issues of the front three imo. Could end up with Son only playing wide, could end up with Son having games as a striker. Depends on how we try to fix things and who we bring in.

Having Son wrestling PL centre backs won't be a good solution obviously.

Back