• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The potential players to bring in with only 1 year left on their deal thread

Finney Is Back

Luka Modric
Thought it might be interesting to look at a few players that could be purchased for a reasonable fee due to having only a year left on their current deal. I'll start with a few obvious ones and try to chuck in some (perhaps) lesser known talents as well.

Probably worth concentrating on the positions that we think we're a bit short in. Having already signed Gray I'd say we probably need (in no particular order of importance):

1. Another centre forward option,
2. Competition for Udogie
3. Cover for Van Der Ven
4. Competition for Maddison in the attacking midfield position
5. Perhaps also another wide forward option.

Last edited:
Starting with centre forward:

First up Ivan Toney. Would likely be a £55m to £60m with no baggage. With just a year left and the previous issues I wonder whether he'd end up costing £35m to £40m closer to the end of the window?

Another CF that we have been linked with previously is Jonathan David. I don't think Lille can afford to let him get to January with him them signing a pre-contract deal for a free transfer in summer 2025. Personally I've never been quite convinced about him as a player but others rate him.

Another in a similar situation to David is Dominic Calvert Lewin. There is no way that Everton can risk him going on a free. These past couple of years Injury and confidence issues have somewhat disrupted what looked to be a really promising career for him. Am sure one of the PL teams will take a punt on him though.

Last up on the centre forwards; perhaps a slightly less well known one. Youssef En_Nesyri from Seville. He has scored at a rate of a goal every 187 minutes for Seville over the last 4 years and at 27 he is a decent age for a move to the premier league. I think he would have no problem with the pace and physicality of our competition. As little as £15m to £20m would probably get him.

First up Ivan Toney. Would likely be a £55m to £60m with no baggage. With just a year left and the previous issues I wonder whether he'd end up costing £35m to £40m closer to the end of the window?

Another CF that we have been linked with previously is Jonathan David. I don't think Lille can afford to let him get to January with him them signing a pre-contract deal for a free transfer in summer 2025. Personally I've never been quite convinced about him as a player but others rate him.

Another in a similar situation to David is Dominic Calvert Lewin. There is no way that Everton can risk him going on a free. These past couple of years Injury and confidence issues have somewhat disrupted what looked to be a really promising career for him. Am sure one of the PL teams will take a punt on him though.

Last up on the centre forwards; perhaps a slightly less well known one. Youssef En_Nesyri from Seville. He has scored at a rate of a goal every 187 minutes for Seville over the last 4 years and at 27 he is a decent age for a move to the premier league. I think he would have no problem with the pace and physicality of our competition. As little as £15m to £20m would probably get him.
Toney is the one for me, and has already been suggested Brentford has dropped their asking price. Wouldn't mind David as a cheaper option and is more flexible in terms of playing along the front line.

Calvert Lewin is a firm no IMO, would rather we invest time into one of our young CFs than throw money at him. And En Nesyri is pretty much gone to Fenerbache (or another Turkish team if not them)....

The order you have them in is the order I’d focus on them to buy imo
And Brentford needed an auction for Toney… that isn’t happening

Next up left back.... There isn't really too much in the way of rich pickings here when looking at players with only one year left on their contract if we ignore the 'no chance' signing of Alfonso Davies. That being said there are a few potentially interesting options for the bargain hunters amongst us.

Tyrick Mitchell at Palace only has a year left on his contract. I'm not convinced he is good enough on the ball to play in Ange's system but he is a good defender.

Leif Davis at Ipswich is another good, young player with only a year left. Defends well and also gets really involved in Ipswich's attacks posting impressive assist numbers. Probably no way that Ipswich sell though seeing as they're just promoted and he played a key part in that. I expect they will give him a new contract where his agent negotiates him a decent wage and a fair release clause in event of relegation.

Nicolas Tagliafico only has a year left on his contract at Lyon. He always impressed me when at Ajax and is a player that I think could play in Ange's system. He is 31 now so would be a short-term signing. Which I don't think is something we want at Spurs seeing as we don't really seem to have anyone coming through in that position from under 21s.

Considering Ange's system it might make sense to consider central/left sided midfield players with good defensive attributes to play as a full back in our system, though even here there's not much around to excite.

Nicola Zalewski at Roma is a decent player, only 22 and is first choice for both Roma and Poland. He mainly plays as a left midfield player but has also played at left back, left wing, central midfield and even attacking midfield. He is pretty quick, quite skilfull and would have a lot of the attributes to play as an inverted full back in Ange's system

Next up left back.... There isn't really too much in the way of rich pickings here when looking at players with only one year left on their contract if we ignore the 'no chance' signing of Alfonso Davies. That being said there are a few potentially interesting options for the bargain hunters amongst us.

Tyrick Mitchell at Palace only has a year left on his contract. I'm not convinced he is good enough on the ball to play in Ange's system but he is a good defender.

Leif Davis at Ipswich is another good, young player with only a year left. Defends well and also gets really involved in Ipswich's attacks posting impressive assist numbers. Probably no way that Ipswich sell though seeing as they're just promoted and he played a key part in that. I expect they will give him a new contract where his agent negotiates him a decent wage and a fair release clause in event of relegation.

Nicolas Tagliafico only has a year left on his contract at Lyon. He always impressed me when at Ajax and is a player that I think could play in Ange's system. He is 31 now so would be a short-term signing. Which I don't think is something we want at Spurs seeing as we don't really seem to have anyone coming through in that position from under 21s.

Considering Ange's system it might make sense to consider central/left sided midfield players with good defensive attributes to play as a full back in our system, though even here there's not much around to excite.

Nicola Zalewski at Roma is a decent player, only 22 and is first choice for both Roma and Poland. He mainly plays as a left midfield player but has also played at left back, left wing, central midfield and even attacking midfield. He is pretty quick, quite skilfull and would have a lot of the attributes to play as an inverted full back in Ange's system

Tyrick for me, one of the standout LBs in the league last year

Don’t think he would suit inverted role

Not so sure TBH, I had a few trips to Palace as many fans where I live and jibbed someone's ST a couple of times, he is good on the ball, quick, gets up and down really well, Udogie is better but as an understudy I would have no qualms

Not so sure TBH, I had a few trips to Palace as many fans where I live and jibbed someone's ST a couple of times, he is good on the ball, quick, gets up and down really well, Udogie is better but as an understudy I would have no qualms
I rate Mitchell as a solid left back
But he is a guy I’d expect ti go outside rather than inside when I watch him
Zalewski of the knee Finney mentions is a good fit for what little I’ve seen
But I think we want a LCB/LB option rather than a left back alone

Im fine with that too TBH, I don't think we are in the space for 2 for each place yet.

CF is now the crucial one for me, I would love it if we went all out for Gyokeres, he is a proper player

I'm the same as you in this view. I think Mitchell is a good left back to play for most PL teams but that is very different to how Ange has our full backs playing. The full backs need to be proper creative players, able to play in tight spaces, have good vision and either provide the assist or the assist for the assist. I don't think that is Mitchell.

Regarding us having a LCB/LB, I'm not sure I agree here. Again, I think the two roles are too different in Ange's team. The centre backs have to be physical, strong and really, really good at one v one defending. It almost never happens that those sorts of players are agile, skilful on the ball, able to beat players one v one in possession and pass/cross when running at pace.

I suspect the club will keep Davies on and have him and Dragusin as cover for Romero and Van Der Ven. That then gives another year for Phillips and/or Dorrington to come through as well as Vukosic to come to the club.

Doesn't fit this thread of course with the 'players with one year left on contract' but your previous suggestion of Alfie Doughty is a great one @Bedfordspurs. His skillset really fits what Ange wants from his fullbacks and added bonus of him being an association trained player. Would probably cost less than £20m and we already know he has what it takes to play well in the premier league.

Toney is the one for me, and has already been suggested Brentford has dropped their asking price. Wouldn't mind David as a cheaper option and is more flexible in terms of playing along the front line.

Calvert Lewin is a firm no IMO, would rather we invest time into one of our young CFs than throw money at him. And En Nesyri is pretty much gone to Fenerbache (or another Turkish team if not them)....

If we could snag Toney and Eze and sell Royal, I’d be very happy with our business.

I'm the same as you in this view. I think Mitchell is a good left back to play for most PL teams but that is very different to how Ange has our full backs playing. The full backs need to be proper creative players, able to play in tight spaces, have good vision and either provide the assist or the assist for the assist. I don't think that is Mitchell.

Regarding us having a LCB/LB, I'm not sure I agree here. Again, I think the two roles are too different in Ange's team. The centre backs have to be physical, strong and really, really good at one v one defending. It almost never happens that those sorts of players are agile, skilful on the ball, able to beat players one v one in possession and pass/cross when running at pace.

I suspect the club will keep Davies on and have him and Dragusin as cover for Romero and Van Der Ven. That then gives another year for Phillips and/or Dorrington to come through as well as Vukosic to come to the club.

Doesn't fit this thread of course with the 'players with one year left on contract' but your previous suggestion of Alfie Doughty is a great one @Bedfordspurs. His skillset really fits what Ange wants from his fullbacks and added bonus of him being an association trained player. Would probably cost less than £20m and we already know he has what it takes to play well in the premier league.
Doughty would be my perfect left side signing
Imagine him cutting in then out and whipping a ball in
But… no one seems to be after him which I find odd

I don't know where this strange notion that Toney wouldn't press comes from? I've watched him playing a very good part in Brentford's situational press many times (including against us at our stadium last season).
He is great at pressing
I think Gb thinks that he wouldn’t be able to press as he would be at the bookies

Last edited:
I don't know where this strange notion that Toney wouldn't press comes from? I've watched him playing a very good part in Brentford's situational press many times (including against us at our stadium last season).

He's just a bit cumbersome and immobile for it. It doesn't really matter - he's not that sort of player. He's more a Llorente type who causes havoc in the box. But we'd need to be careful who we pair him with to create balance - i.e. not Son or Kulu. Maybe with Werner and Johnson either side it would work?

Doughty would be my perfect left side signing
Imagine him cutting in then out and whipping a ball in
But… no one seems to be after him which I find odd

Doughty is too orthodox for our system IMO. Our FBs need to come central into that #10 position, not get in the way of the WFs out wide.

Back