• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

Just saw MOTD, and fair play to Ian Wright! Even though he doesn't want to, he's full of praise for Spurs. He said he was jealous of the team and the spirit they show.

i thought reaching for the ball like that when you go down was supposed to be a booking now

i'm sure someone else was booked for it recently?
If there was, it was the wrong decision. He's not denying anyone anything, it's not unsporting behaviour, time wasting or dangerous play. No card. Add to that, refereeing is not about just going by the book at every situation. It's about managing the game. It's not about giving out the most amount of cards. If the flow of the game and the general atmosphere of the game allows it, referees should avoid giving out cards.

If there was, it was the wrong decision. He's not denying anyone anything, it's not unsporting behaviour, time wasting or dangerous play. No card. Add to that, refereeing is not about just going by the book at every situation. It's about managing the game. It's not about giving out the most amount of cards. If the flow of the game and the general atmosphere of the game allows it, referees should avoid giving out cards.

on your first point fair enough, if that's the rules that's the rules

regarding going by the book, I disagree, they should go by the book in every situation, footballs biggest problem is inconsistent officiating imo, it drives me potty

for example, when a player puts in a shocking tackle in the first minute and it's let go "so as not to spoil the game", I hate that, it's not about the spectacle it's about the result of tactical and physical preparation

But he's taken the corner.

Just because he didn't like the one he took, it doesn't give him the right to pick the ball up and start again.

also, an argument can be made that he did it in an attempt to score a goal by making better use of the second attempt and it's clearly unsporting behaviour

But he's taken the corner.

Just because he didn't like the one he took, it doesn't give him the right to pick the ball up and start again.
No, and hence the free kick. But it's nothing more than that. A free kick. Honestly, that should not be difficult to understand!

But he's intentionally picked up the ball in play. The very least that has to be is a yellow.
The very least? So you think it should be red? Amazing! It's not a yellow card. You interperet or read the rules like the devil reads the Bible. It's not black or white. There are nuances! It's only yellow if you intentionally handle the ball to gain an advantage or to stop an opponent. This was none of that. It's the same as when someone takes a throw in, but lose the grip and drop the ball, and picks it up again. It's a foul, but nothing more.

he was trying to gain an advantage, a free set piece they hadn't earned

in that scenario the offence is a foul throw not a handball

The idea that a deliberate handball must be punished with a yellow card is an often repeated myth (not least by commentators). It must be deliberate in order to be penalised with a free kick. If it's not deliberate then it's not handball anyway. The handball is only punished with a yellow card in 3 situations - if it:
1. interferes with or stops a promising opposition attack, or
2. is in an attempt to score a goal*, or
3. is in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal.

* That means immediately, not in order to continue the build up that may eventually lead to an attempt at goal!

The very least? So you think it should be red? Amazing! It's not a yellow card. You interperet or read the rules like the devil reads the Bible. It's not black or white. There are nuances! It's only yellow if you intentionally handle the ball to gain an advantage or to stop an opponent. This was none of that. It's the same as when someone takes a throw in, but lose the grip and drop the ball, and picks it up again. It's a foul, but nothing more.
Last time I saw someone intentionally handle and hold a ball in play it was a red.

Can't remember the match and it was some years ago but he caught a ball that was going out for a throw. The ball hadn't quite crossed the line so the ref sent him off - it was generally regarded as the correct decision too.

Last time I saw someone intentionally handle and hold a ball in play it was a red.

Can't remember the match and it was some years ago but he caught a ball that was going out for a throw. The ball hadn't quite crossed the line so the ref sent him off - it was generally regarded as the correct decision too.
Maybe in a different universe, but what do I know from my 25 years of refereeing.

What I do know is that I'm sick and tired of commentators and pundits constantly bashing out false information and feeding people with wrong information about rules and regulations.

Back