• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Yet our white shirt is in tribute to them, irony ... schweinsteiger off, Muller on.

Absolute crock of brick. We were wearing white jerseys before Real Madrid were even founded.
I mean seriously no one in England would have even heard of them until the 1950s.

I was just talking about the points you made in the previous post.

So am I. I do not think winning at all costs is acceptable. I do not deny that Mourinho has been very successful and that his antics help take the pressure off of the players but I would be embarrassed to see a Spurs team cheat and bully their way to success.

So am I. I do not think winning at all costs is acceptable. I do not deny that Mourinho has been very successful and that his antics help take the pressure off of the players but I would be embarrassed to see a Spurs team cheat and bully their way to success.

How does he cheat exactly? If bullying is the same as showing your emotions towards the refs sometimes Im all for it. Mourinho cant be held responsible for idiots sending death threats to refs.

Absolute crock of brick. We were wearing white jerseys before Real Madrid were even founded.
I mean seriously no one in England would have even heard of them until the 1950s.

We started wearing white shirts in 1898

real founded in 1902

However, Bill Nic had us wearing All-White (shorts, shirts and socks) in the 60's in European matches as a tribute/imitation to Real throughout the 60s.

The history of Tottenham Hotspur began under a street lamp just across the road from what is now the Spurs Store on High Street Tottenham, London N17. Some players from the local cricket club and the local grammar school - St. John's Presbyterian - were at a loss as to what to get up to during the winter and so they decided to start playing football. This was back in 1882. Unsure about what to call themselves, they named themselves after the youngest son of the Duke of Northumberland, Percy, who went by the nickname of "Harry Hotspur". It was the valiant nature of his derring-do heroics, that they thought it was an appropriate title to adopt, so Hotspur FC was born. Under the chairmanship of the Reverend John Ripsher, the club was reorganised in 1883, took to wearing all navy blue and played their games at Tottenham Marshes.

The following year saw the club renamed "Tottenham Hotspur Football and Athletic club" and in 1885, Spurs played their first competitive match against St. Albans in the London Association Cup, winning the game 5-2. By this time, the kit had transformed into light blue and white halved shirts and a credit balance of nine shillings was recorded !!

In 1887, Spurs had their first match against the "old enemy" (then called Royal) Arsenal and they were denied a 2-1 win as the game was abandoned because of darkness 15 minutes from the end of the match. It was the year after this that Tottenham Hotspur moved their ground location to Northumberland Park and they charged the princely sum of 3d (1p) to get in !! In 1890, a further kit change saw the shirts change to red in an act which was tantamount to heresy. They did stick with the navy blue shorts though.

16th December 1895 was an important date in Spurs' history because they adopted professionalism and the following year also contained some milestones. A friendly against Aston Villa attracted 6,000 to the ground, the club were elected to the Southern League Division One and the colours were changed to chocolate and gold stripes. Indeed, the next year saw Tottenham reach their first (of many) Cup Finals, losing out to Wellingborough 0-2 in the local Charity cup competition.

1898 was another landmark year in the history of the club as it became a limited company and the attendance record swelled to 14,000 for a match against Woolwich Arsenal. Perhaps the most significant move of this year was the adoption of the colours of the "Invincibles" of Preston North End, who had done "the Double" and so Spurs first became associated with the white shirts and navy blue shorts for which they are now world famous.

Back