• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Just noticed that for the first time in several years I'm not that pushed about who goes down.

I'd wanted Wolves and Wigan to do well because I have a lot of time for Martinez and McCarthy. But MacCarthy is gone now, and Martinez has done as much as he possibly can with a club who's town don't even care enough to fill their small stadium for big matches. They don't deserve big time football and Martinez will get a bigger job if he leaves anyway. So meh to Wolves and Wigan going down.

Bolton...I like Coyle, but not enough that I'd miss Bolton, and I actually think he'd hang on to his job, so wouldn't mind seeing them go.

QPR. Don't care much one way or the other, but I don't like Hughes much, Joey Barton, sugar daddy owners...really wouldn't mind them going.

That leaves Blackburn. These are the one team who I think probably deserve to survive. Kean has shown massive balls this season to tough it out, and every time I've seen them play I've thought they've had something to them. They do seem to be trying to play to a plan, which is probably why they've kept faith with Kean - I think behind the scenes he probably does know what he's doing with tactics and formations and whatnot. I think there's just enough bravery and honest effort there to make a neutral want them to stay up.

Luckiest team down that half of the table...Aston Villa. In 15th place and 8 points above Blackburn they are probably safe...but boy, that is a terrible, terrible season for them and one or two unlucky breaks over their first 28 games and they'd be right down there with the dregs right now. McLeish - found out.

Barring a minor miracle it will be QPR, Wolves and Wigan to go down. Think they'll all struggle to get past 30 points. Wolves have to go to Wigan and QPR have good old Tottenham to rely on for 3 points. And they all have to play Arsenal, hoping at least one of them can turn it on.

QPR:
Home: Arsenal, Bolton, Chelsea, Stoke, Tottenham.
Away: Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Sunderland, WBA

Wolves:
Home: Arsenal, Bolton, Everton, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd
Away: Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Wigan

Wigan:
Home: Man Utd, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke, WBA, Wolves
Away: Arsenal, Blackburn, Chelsea, Fulham, Liverpool

I detest the home and away argument. Such a myth. Such gonads.

Its not two different sets of players.....is Everton's pitch made out of jelly? NO.

Its grass. Its flat. The ball is round. The players have played together for 8 months. Just play football, and if its really confusing them that much, we can take some inflatable gold ****erills to hang on the roof of all the away stadiums when we travel.

Good to go, rant over.

Wrong. There is a lot of psychology in sport (as anything in life) and confidence (or lack of) can play a major part in being successful. The home crowd is worth an extra man on the pitch at times. Logically it may seem dumb, but the crowd giving the players that extra confidence and determination DOES happen.

Wrong. There is a lot of psychology in sport (as anything in life) and confidence (or lack of) can play a major part in being successful. The home crowd is worth an extra man on the pitch at times. Logically it may seem dumb, but the crowd giving the players that extra confidence and determination DOES happen.

The fact its all in the mind, shows that its a myth, and a load of bollox.

If we approach an away game, like a home game then we should be just as good away. The opposition dont become any better.

I started a thread on this topic, but it only got a bout 6 replies....I'll try and find it.

The fact its all in the mind, shows that its a myth, and a load of bollox.

If we approach an away game, like a home game then we should be just as good away. The opposition dont become any better.

I started a thread on this topic, but it only got a bout 6 replies....I'll try and find it.

whether you like it or not teams perform better at home for a variety of reasons. in all sports at every level the majority of teams will win more home games. as moonlit knight says psychology plays a big part and even just playing in a familiar environment

And whether you like it or not, I believe that if its only in the mind, it can quite easily be erased.

We approach away games differently. Thats the problem, not the fact we are away per se.

Chelsea: Cech; Ivanovic, Terry, David Luiz, A Cole; Ramires, Essien; Lampard, Juan Mata, Sturridge; Drogba

Chelsea bench: Turnbull, Cahill, Bosingwa, Mikel, Malouda, Kalou, Torres
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Napoli: De Sanctis; Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica; Maggio, Gargano, Inler, Zuniga; Hamsik, Lavezzi; Cavani

Napoli bench: Rosati, Britos, Fernandez, Dzemaili, Dossena, Pandev, Vargas

And whether you like it or not, I believe that if its only in the mind, it can quite easily be erased.

We approach away games differently. Thats the problem, not the fact we are away per se.

No the problem is we along with 98% of other teams in the world approach home and away games differently. If everyone thought the same as you do and approached every game the same then yes we might be able to erase that sort or mentality but that isn't going to happen.

No the problem is we along with 98% of other teams in the world approach home and away games differently. If everyone thought the same as you do and approached every game the same then yes we might be able to erase that sort or mentality but that isn't going to happen.

If we play our normal game, we will beat lesser teams away more often in my opinion, because we are better than them. They dont become better players at home.

They might go into the game with more confidence, but pandering to that by playing a silly formation, or sitting back on 1 goal instead of going for 2, only fuels the myth.

Its about what we do, not where we play.

Most of our early away games this season would also suggest this to be the case.

Last edited:
Napoli fans are gonna be loud all night I wager.

Watching Levazzi (sp?) last week was a joy. Hope for more of the same tonight.

I met a couple of Napoli fans today on the tube today. One of them saw my Tottenham logo on my screen and said ahh spurs. I said yeah (I was having a moody day - time of the month) and said Cavani will leave and rumours are amongst Napoli fans is that he is wanting to go to Spurs and not Chelscum.

From the horses mouth

Is it just me,but should that Napoli change strip be allowed tonight? Different coloured shorts maybe,but not same colour as the the shirt like Chelsea

I met a couple of Napoli fans today on the tube today. One of them saw my Tottenham logo on my screen and said ahh spurs. I said yeah (I was having a moody day - time of the month) and said Cavani will leave and rumours are amongst Napoli fans is that he is wanting to go to Spurs and not Chelscum.

From the horses mouth

Yes please

Back