• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Maybe, maybe not. They are known to pay big wages (compared to anyone except the Manchesters and Chelsea) and have spent a fair amount on transfers.

Look at their dealings, Wenger has been spending more and more than he ever used to.

Problem is, he has spent badly. Especially in defence

How many Scum fans are "taking a break" from them for a few weeks???

F#cking glory hunting part-timers. C#nts have the nerve to say WE lack class??? :ross:

36,000 through The Dark Years, and these rats abandon ship by the bucket load, when they are sitting in 4th. They'll be City "fans" soon, or GHod FORBID, claiming to be "Spurs".

The New Lane should be a hostile, Tottenham zone, where fake day trippers are hunted down, and banished. Their heads on poles, all the way down Seven Sisters :evil:

Sounds like a good idea to me. There must be some rules applied though, like; how long has the person supported Spurs? v How long have they had a real interest in football. Why did they start supporting the club? That the person has to name at least 5 players from the year in which they started supporting the club. etc

Sounds like a good idea to me. There must be some rules applied though, like; how long has the person supported Spurs? v How long have they had a real interest in football. Why did they start supporting the club? That the person has to name at least 5 players from the year in which they started supporting the club. etc

Or simply, who was our goal keeper in 2002, or something...?

Id probably get it wrong and say Sullivan??! Is that right!? LOL

But at least a true fan would come close...a gooner would say Ray Clemence probably

I think all of Arsenal's problems started due to their finance problems since moving to the new stadium. We have to think about this before moving to a new stadium ourselves. But still you have to give huge credit to Wenger for keeping them top 4 every year despite all the problems they have had.

This is no excuse when it's been known they have a warchest of ?ú35m each year for transfers plus 75% of all sale money is made available for purchases.

This is no excuse when it's been known they have a warchest of ?ú35m each year for transfers plus 75% of all sale money is made available for purchases.

Cam - how do you know they have a warchest of 35m? I dont think they have as much as people think.

I don't think the stadium's impacted their finances that badly - they've been posting massive profits (not just revenues) the last few years, despite having a wage bill that's always been 30-60 million more than us (ie their model is to spend low on transfer fees but give even the youth big wages, while we're the opposite). It's more likely that certain of the shareholders have not been releasing the profits, which is why Wenger is so great for them - he's not inclined to spend big money in the first place, and his football is "attractive" so they can charge exorbitant ticket prices.

If Levy had hold of the profits they have, I'm certain we'd be investing much more of it into the team. The reason we haven't spent much of late is due to the way wages/bonuses have eaten into our revenues, as revenues haven't grown as fast as wages have (not Levy's fault - we went from mediocrity to competing in the big league now, and our rivals give even higher wages). Another issue is that prices have soared in recent years, even for youngsters (12m for the Ox, anyone? 18m+ for Jones....the days of 1m for Aaron Lennon are over) as agents desperately look for one last payday before FFP kicks in and as Emirates Marketing Project's spending drives up the prices for everyone who's half-decent.

Hopefully, once we start getting sponsors, competing in the CL, and finalizing our long-term manager, we'll have more funds and a stadium at a time when fees start becoming more reasonable again.

Arsenal have probably faced the same issues - not enough value in the market, funds or not. Or they may want to put faith in their youngsters, like Fergie (Cleverly, Pogba, etc). Difference is, United's old players are still class enough to bridge the transition. In fairness to them, they've missed Wheelchair all this season; we'd probably struggle without our most important player too, in Modric.

But only Wenger is to blame for the weak mentality his players have. I can't think of another team that constantly ends their season within one week. There was a great article in FT today about how critical psychology is to top-levels players, mainly about Fernando Torres but with insight from other players.

No idea where you're getting that number from, but they have broken even or made a slight profit in the transfer market on average for quite a few years now.

As for laughing at Arsenal, I say have at it. I've been a Spurs fan for over 20 years now and it's taught me that success rarely lasts so you have to have a go while you can. Then, when the tables turn you just have to take it I suppose. But that won't be for a very long time now 8)

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/arsenal-transfers.html

Headline transfers in recent seasons

Chamberlain ?ú12m
Gervinho ?ú10.6m
Park ?ú3m
Santos ?ú6.2m
Areta ?ú10m
Metersacker ?ú10m
Vermaelen ?ú10m
Arshavin ?ú15m
Nasri ?ú15.8m
Ramsey ?ú5m

This is not a manager who "doesnt spend much"

And if not for Man C buying half his team his net spend would look much much worse than it does now

They are still not spending a lot net spend. Used to annoy the crap out of me when people were talking about how much money Spurs had been spending while ignoring the sales of Carrick and Berbatov. It's the same for Arsenal now. If you look at the table part of the page you linked to they have made a net profit for some time now.

They are still not spending a lot net spend. Used to annoy the crap out of me when people were talking about how much money Spurs had been spending while ignoring the sales of Carrick and Berbatov. It's the same for Arsenal now. If you look at the table part of the page you linked to they have made a net profit for some time now.

I hate the net spend argument as I see that only for accounting and investor relation purposes. Ultimately if you spend 100m you spend 100m on players. Wenger spent 100m on a pile of crap - panic buying.

You sell a sub who never played for 100m but you spend 100m on 'improving' the first team - you still spent 100m.

Very true - but as I pointed out - take away the ?ú70m Emirates Marketing Project have handed them these last few seasons and it paints a very different picture.

Not that that was even my point, I was simply trying to show that Wenger habitually spends a lot more on players than people believe.

The myth that he only ever gets players for pennies seems to have become fact some way along the way.

And despite spending (relatively) big on players he just doesnt seem to get value for money at all. There are of course exceptions, but these are few and far between

Someone needs to post this so as their macaronic fudgewit sandwich eating clam-following can see what broken promises actually look like!!!!!! Tottenham consistently provide youth outreach for the community from the club's pocket as a service to Haringay. All our planning work goes on above board. Those tossers at the death star wrote the book on broken stadium promises...again, read this. Incredible how thick they are not to know their own dirty club's dealings...

http://www.jonathanfreedland.com/articles/other-publications/winners-losers-and-broken-promises

Wenger going upstairs would be a disaster for them IMHO

He has been there so long, produced a great deal of success and integrated himself to the entire fabric of the club - if he were still there a new man would never be able to step out of Wengers shadow.

As well as that Wenger would still have hands on how things work, which clearly isnt very well right now, new manager would be hamstrung

Not sure if I agree. He's always been a great spotter of talent. He's never been great at finding keepers or defenders, but he would still be able to dig up gems like Nasri or Van Persie. Wenger's main weaknesses are his stubbornness, his tactics have always been suspect, and mentally Arsenal have always been fragile, only takes 1 bad defeat to completely derail thier season every year.

Has he? Why hasnt he spotted much talent recently then?

If Wenger goes upstairs is dof territory - the majority of this place would be up in arms at us going back to that...

Has he? Why hasnt he spotted much talent recently then?

If Wenger goes upstairs is dof territory - the majority of this place would be up in arms at us going back to that...

Every manager gets things wrong. Look at the players he has signed, most of them for fudge all:

Henry
Vieira
Petit
Overmars
Nasri
Van Persie
Vermaelen
Clichy (not as good as he used to be but he was probably the best left back in the league for a season or two)
Pires
Adebayor

Back