• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

You're unconcerned by Podolski and Giroud in the same way Arsenal fans are unconcerned by Vertonghen and Sigurdsson.

So what? Non sequitur.

We're not talking about how gooners feel about our two clubs' respective signings, are we?

We're discussing how we (we're Spurs fans, by the way) feel about our respective signings. Maybe you rate Podolski and Giroud higher than Sigurdsson and Vertonghen. Fair enough. Your opinion. Not one that I share, however.

I don't really care about the four players. I just don't see how a club can lose no one whilst signing two decent players and they don't become stronger for it?

Where does he play for Germany? Perhaps he will play central, I don't think he will but perhaps. Why are you writing off Giroud without seeing him play? Unless you've an avid Montpellier viewer? Both of their new signings would start for us, so if they're classed as nothing signings then I don't know what that says about our squad.

No, they wouldn't.

We're likely to play one up front. So only room for one of them in that position.

Podolski can play wide in a front three, of course. But there's no way that he's getting in ahead of each of Bale, Van Der Vaart and Lennon.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the four players. I just don't see how a club can lose no one whilst signing two decent players and they don't become stronger for it?

I've never said that they aren't. I'm just not especially concerned by their signing Giroud and Podolski.

I should've said either of them rather than both.

I know you haven't said that - Spursalot has. I don't rate Podolski all that highly, he's a decent enough player and Giroud I've seen about 20 minutes of, I just don't see how it can be argued against that they've strengthened whilst we've weakened. If we go on to sign Lloris, Moutinho, Ade etc etc then cool, I need TP for my bunghole, but as it stands we've gone backwards.

527263_388105674587838_1936079008_n.jpg

Don't worry about the rapist. His last year was exceptional to say the least, but he was playing for a move. Now he wants to stay, he'll sign his new and improved contract and be about for 8 months in the first few weeks.

Wanting to stay?

Or just happy to see out the last year of his contract before walking away on a free?

Depends what spin you put on it.

If he was to sign a new, long term contract, however, that would be altogether different.

Would start for us?

That says more about the state of our striking options than it does their signings.

I haven't written Giroud off, just noticed that he's not currently a quarter of the player RVP is.

Podolski? might start for us up front, but not on the wing, not even close.

Us having a lack of options up front doesn't mean everyone elses strikers suddenly become amazing.

Irrespective of the fact that Giroud is worse than RVP, he is a good enough player to slot into the system, score and create, and keep the team getting points. Arsenal have managed to live through the departures of so many players because of Wenger's focus on the team. Unless they have truly mediocre players, they will always dominate possession and create chances, so as long as Van Persie's replacement is competent (which Giroud probably will be), they'll have the platform to perform. Unfortunately I don't think it's simply a case of which player is better, as the whole will always (well, for the foreseeable future) be greater than the sum of their parts for Arsenal. They might be slightly weaker, but they'll still have the quality to turn draws into wins.

Hopefully AVB can construct something similar at Spurs..

unless wenger's unable to gel his team, i'm anticipating that arsenal will have a better side in the coming season.
we'll have to punch above our weight as usual to make champions league again. getting fourth again would be a good result considering the sweeping changes we are making to our team + backroom + first team management.

brick, now RVP wants to stay at Arsenal according to Steve Stammers

Wow a no mark journo makes a bold statement, with what happened in the Olympics yesterday, these footie journo's have to say something ridiculous to get their column inches read

Spursalot, do you think the Spurs squad is stronger now than it was last season?

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but surely we have to take managers into account.

We have strengthened massively, whilst Wenger is still on his downward decline.

Last edited:
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but surely we have to take managers into account.

We have strengthened massively, whilst Wenger is still on his downward decline.

I wouldn't say we have strengthened massively tbh. King out and an untried vertonghen in might not really be strengthening. Sigurddson is a great signing but we've lost a quality striker so can't see how we've strengthened.

I wouldn't say we have strengthened massively tbh. King out and an untried vertonghen in might not really be strengthening. Sigurddson is a great signing but we've lost a quality striker so can't see how we've strengthened.

Sorry, should have been more specific - we've strengthened our management team massively.

My best pal an Arsenal ST honestly thinks Bould will be a more than capable replacement for Rice, younger, modern thoughts, methods etc

He has been the the coach of their youth team for a number of years and has done well there. It is still the first time that Wenger has been there without Rice by his side. It is a big change too because Wenger doesn't have much to do with the team during the week and leaves the coaching to others.

how is wenger on a decline?

I don't know about decline. But not even the most red tinted specs wearing gooner could argue that the past 8 years under Wenger have been anything like as successful as the previous 8 years. Let's not forget that Arsenal scraped into the CL this year only because Spurs threw it away.

And you would have to have been living on another planet not to have noticed that Wenger has increasingly been losing the plot on the touchline and in the press room over the past few years.

Back