• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Saw something written that referenced an "ITK" post on another Spurs site that said Michy Batshuayi deal is almost complete; something about knowing the lawyers involved or something.

I'll try and see if i can find it and post here later...

Within his first few months Poch dropped all the poor transitioning CMs - Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele, and promoted 2 quick transitioning academy players ahead of them (Bentaleb and Mason). That was the turning point for this whole side - the first green shoots of Pochball.

For the next 12 months Poch used Dembele incredibly sparingly as a last resort, and only then at AM, rather than CM. His whole style of play was contrary to Poch's philosophy. Only after a year of clearly quite intense coaching did Poch decide Dembele was ready to be used at CM again

I don't disagree with any of that but you really don't do yourself any favours posting opinion as fact.

Dembele only came into the team at the end of October when Dier's suspension combined with Mason's injury. For the previous 15 months Poch simply hadn't trusted him, because of his poor transitioning.

Yes Poch has coached Dembele to perform at a much higher level that he has ever done before. But for all of Poch's time in charge before that Liverpool game, Mason was ahead of Dembele in the pecking order.

I accept now that Dembele is ahead. But Mason is 5 years younger and has been hampered by injuries all season (Roy has told us about the ankle injections and delaying of an operation). I think back fit again next season Mason is certainly capable of edging ahead again. While he doesn't have Dembele's strength, he's much more creative and more energetic, so there's pros and cons of both.
I see that you're not allowing the facts to get in the way of your argument. Dembele didn't only come into the team in October at all. He actually commenced this season in the first team, starting in each of our first four league games. He then picked up an injury that kept him out for a short while. He missed the Sunderland, Palace and Emirates Marketing Project games through that injury. Having returned from injury he was on the bench for the Swansea game but then started the Liverpool game. He was therefore not picked for just the one game in which he was available and even then it is reasonably standard for a player to be on the bench for a game or two having returned from injury.

Dembeles game hasn't changed much at all but it suits those for and against to highlight it

What has changed is the speed of movement of the whole team and of course his fitness.

He is arguably running with the ball as much as before and making as many "safe" passes. The difference is the players he is now passing to are in front of him and are wanting the ball. No player this season and shied away from a pass and it's why were dominant as their all much more comfortable on the ball. The superior fitness means they can keep the pace of the game high and it gives them more time

When I think of that goal he scored away to Sunderland earlier in the season it makes me believe Mason will benefit our team even if he is not always in the starting 11
I think Mason is a great player to have around. He can play in just about any of the midfield positions, is clearly a good footballer, works hard, is brave and (perhaps most importantly) "Is one of our own". The problem for him at the moment is that he is a 'fringe' England player. Probably hovering around the top 10 or 12 central midfielders in the country, but not amongst the top 5, whereas Dembele is amongst the best in the whole league. Mason is clearly now second choice in that position and likely to stay second choice to Dembele for the next season or two.

Andrew Gaffney ‏@GaffneyVLC 5s6 seconds ago
Interesting news for Spurs fans. According to @ConradoValle, Spurs & Everton are fighting it out with Valencia for Borja Baston.

Andrew Gaffney ‏@GaffneyVLC 3m3 minutes ago
Borja Baston is on the books at Atletico but not expected to be used by Simeone next year. He’s on loan at Eibar, scored 17. @ConradoValle

Translation: Atletico Madrid are keen to sell; Valencia are interested but have offered too cheap a fee so Atletico bring up names of two Engliah teams with managers who may know Spain to make it seem like there is concrete competition for signing said player..

Translation: Atletico Madrid are keen to sell; Valencia are interested but have offered too cheap a fee so Atletico bring up names of two Engliah teams with managers who may know Spain to make it seem like there is concrete competition for signing said player..

so cynical.

So one mans blog writing means that I should rate Mason?, he is not good enough ( imo) to become a regular next season and IF Poch brings in other players for CM( and most Spurs fans seem to think he should) then there will be at least one moving out and ( imo) one of those should be Mason.

He isn't good enough compared to the players in those positions at the moment

He is better than some we have been linked with though, and I personally think if anyone goes it will be Bentelab and Carroll due to his contract

We do need to upgrade that area IMO and ideally get in players that can really compete with Moussa and Dier

So one mans blog writing means that I should rate Mason?, he is not good enough ( imo) to become a regular next season and IF Poch brings in other players for CM( and most Spurs fans seem to think he should) then there will be at least one moving out and ( imo) one of those should be Mason.

Mason will be further down the queue of those to be moved on imo; Carroll and/or Bentaleb will go before Mason does

Mason will be further down the queue of those to be moved on imo; Carroll and/or Bentaleb will go before Mason does

He isn't good enough compared to the players in those positions at the moment

He is better than some we have been linked with though, and I personally think if anyone goes it will be Bentelab and Carroll due to his contract

We do need to upgrade that area IMO and ideally get in players that can really compete with Moussa and Dier

I agree Bentaleb will probably go but I would keep Carroll over Mason, but we shall see.

I would LOVE us to remove all 3, however there is then the issue of too much player turnover etc.

I hear what you are saying, I really like Carroll and the way he plays the game and I can not see moving all three of them out and ( imo) he offers more then the other two. As I say we shall see.

Mason offers more effectiveness overall than Carroll imo; Carroll is a nice player who plays forward incisive passes, but when the game becaoe more physical he goes missing big time (esp of Dier and esp if Dembele is absent). Mason wont wilt so easily and he can and does get stuck in.
If we make upgrades to our CM area the only reason Mason would go before Carroll is becase he wants regular first team football.

I hear what you are saying, I really like Carroll and the way he plays the game and I can not see moving all three of them out and ( imo) he offers more then the other two. As I say we shall see.

Perhaps it will be Bentaleb who will stay due to length and size of his contract over the others, Poch may just shift whichever 2 of the 3 he can find buyers for.

Ultimately though, i dont believe any of them have the ability to be BETTER than Dier & Dembele and put pressure on their starting places and that is what we need, serious competition helps everyone improve.

Perhaps it will be Bentaleb who will stay due to length and size of his contract over the others, Poch may just shift whichever 2 of the 3 he can find buyers for.

Ultimately though, i dont believe any of them have the ability to be BETTER than Dier & Dembele and put pressure on their starting places and that is what we need, serious competition helps everyone improve.

I agree with that, I think Carroll would play better alongside Dier then the other two though when needed. He always has his head up ( something Bentaleb seems unable to do) and passes the ball better then Mason, plus he is always on the move creating space for others.

But at the end of the day its is all about opinions and the only one that really matters is Poch's, as I say it will depend on who/how many we bring in for CM and as you say who we can find buyers for.

Back