• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory Podcast

I agree, sometimes I think we as a club are too worried about rocking the boat.
Levy talks about the Tottenham family and I think we sign "decent" people.
I'm fine with that, I'd rather have my integrity than a cup, but it's bloody frustrating.

If they were consistently like that at all levels then ok, but they are not.
You just have to look at the people at corporate level and how they operate that it isn't the same way in the corporate part vs the football part.
Hiring people like Paul Kemsley says to me Tottenham family my beep!

If they were consistently like that at all levels then ok, but they are not.
You just have to look at the people at corporate level and how they operate that it isn't the same way in the corporate part vs the football part.
Hiring people like Paul Kemsley says to me Tottenham family my beep!
I don't follow anything not on the pitch, will Google him

Actually the owners set the tone, by who they are prepared to buy, how they are prepared to back their managers if they want a leader and then they themselves: do they have that ruthless will to win and get Tottenham to be the best Tottenham can be from a footballing point of view (rather than have the best stadium, facilities and NFL link-ups).

Sacking Jose before a cup final (the very reason a club would hire Jose, especially as he's the only one apart from ETH that has beaten Pep in a cup final) says they very much are NOT ruthless enough to make sure that Tottenham are best in class on the pitch...hence why we shouldn't be surprised we 'lack leaders'
I can’t believe we’re back to blaming the owners for players not doing the basics

Blame them for not spending enough
Blame them for charging too much
Levy for the blame at the weekend because he was at the NFL game apparently
But players not marking or clearing a ball…
Most companies are deemed ruthless because they make sackings
And I’m not one who agreed with that sacking by the way

I can’t believe we’re back to blaming the owners for players not doing the basics

Blame them for not spending enough
Blame them for charging too much
Levy for the blame at the weekend because he was at the NFL game apparently
But players not marking or clearing a ball…
Most companies are deemed ruthless because they make sackings
And I’m not one who agreed with that sacking by the way

I agree you can't blame owners for players missing headers etc

But as i've said before, if people are complaining about 'lack of leaders', then that tone starts from the top.
You cannot complain about THFC lacking leaders on the pitch without talking about the owners as that is an endemic/systemic/cultural issue that goes back years.

I agree you can't blame owners for players missing headers etc

But as i've said before, if people are complaining about 'lack of leaders', then that tone starts from the top.
You cannot complain about THFC lacking leaders on the pitch without talking about the owners as that is an endemic/systemic/cultural issue that goes back years.
I can’t correlate the two I’m afraid

Interesting discussion as always, chaps.

Thought you missed a possible explanation as to why Ange didn’t make subs when it was clear to anyone watching that we desperately needed them yesterday - quite simply, I think that he froze. From the evidence that I saw, this is the most likely explanation. Standing on the pitch at the end, he looked like a boxer who didn’t know where he was or what had happened to him.

A good friend who is a Celtic fan said they saw something similar when they were badly beaten in Europe under him.

I have been reflecting on this myself and think you could well be right.

It's a really interesting discussion.
One thing I do think about is if too data-driven an approach can leave you with players that 'fit' but also leave you lacking in those dynamic individuals. I think there's a very important crossover point whereby you need both to win. I look at City, they can afford to have a second 11 commesurate with their first and their 'leaders' have been helped by Pep's success, but between Bernardo Silva, Rodri when he's fit and Stones, they have several players who have the ability to find that 'moment' when a moment is upon them. Pointy shouty can be absurdly performative, but you also need people who can do that once in a while/brickhouse the game for 5-10 mins just to claw it back from the abyss. I was not his hugest fan all the time, but if Hojberg had been on the bench, he's precisely the sort of player you would want to bring on at 2-2 just to kill Brighton's momentum; he's an expert at that sort of thing. Liverpool had it with Henderson, I think Arsenal have it with Rice and Gabriel, who for all his faults is not shy when it comes to expressing his expectations.

With regards to ENIC and investment, it is an argument which goes both ways. We know the model we're set up to be, youth, vibrance, attracting the great young talents in the game, developing our (rather tasty) academy. But it does mean that when the moment comes to spend big on now versus invest reasonably in young potential, we nearly always take the latter approach. It won't change IMO, and overall I can live with it. But occasionally it can be very frustrating. Good discussion...

It's a really interesting discussion.
One thing I do think about is if too data-driven an approach can leave you with players that 'fit' but also leave you lacking in those dynamic individuals. I think there's a very important crossover point whereby you need both to win. I look at City, they can afford to have a second 11 commesurate with their first and their 'leaders' have been helped by Pep's success, but between Bernardo Silva, Rodri when he's fit and Stones, they have several players who have the ability to find that 'moment' when a moment is upon them. Pointy shouty can be absurdly performative, but you also need people who can do that once in a while/brickhouse the game for 5-10 mins just to claw it back from the abyss. I was not his hugest fan all the time, but if Hojberg had been on the bench, he's precisely the sort of player you would want to bring on at 2-2 just to kill Brighton's momentum; he's an expert at that sort of thing. Liverpool had it with Henderson, I think Arsenal have it with Rice and Gabriel, who for all his faults is not shy when it comes to expressing his expectations.

With regards to ENIC and investment, it is an argument which goes both ways. We know the model we're set up to be, youth, vibrance, attracting the great young talents in the game, developing our (rather tasty) academy. But it does mean that when the moment comes to spend big on now versus invest reasonably in young potential, we nearly always take the latter approach. It won't change IMO, and overall I can live with it. But occasionally it can be very frustrating. Good discussion...
Hojberg with his glass is still exactly what we needed
A closer
Someone who can finish the game for us

Leadership starts from the top and filters down; you might get a situation where a player has intrinsic leadership qualities and brings this to the game on the field during a match. This is very rare though and usually it's the coach/manager that players pick up leadership skills from.
Ange is an excellent leader; that is one of his main strengths. Many players state this, they praise his speeches, and he gives them enough rope to perform, and he takes the blame if they fail, this is literally Ange's main modus operandi.

Did you watch the video @Bedfordspurs posted? That courage is exactly what Ange fosters.

Ange is an excellent leader; that is one of his main strengths. Many players state this, they praise his speeches, and he gives them enough rope to perform, and he takes the blame if they fail, this is literally Ange's main modus operandi.

Did you watch the video @Bedfordspurs posted? That courage is exactly what Ange fosters.

I actually think Ange is an excellent leader. I also think Pochettino was, as was Jose and Conte.

It's not leadership in the dugout that we've lacked over the years imo, like i've said it from the very top that THFC have lacked leaders and ultimately i think it's why on the actual pitch we've often lacked leaders...

That video is great
If used it about 20 times now and my teams have all had very different perspectives before hand that quickly changes

I actually think Ange is an excellent leader. I also think Pochettino was, as was Jose and Conte.

It's not leadership in the dugout that we've lacked over the years imo, like i've said it from the very top that THFC have lacked leaders and ultimately i think it's why on the actual pitch we've often lacked leaders...
I don’t think conte or Jose would be classed as good leaders in the modern thinking world
Poch would for sure

Here’s another short video as to why… and I’d put conte for sure in the top left, probably also Mourinho

Last edited:
I don’t think conte or Jose would be classed as good leaders in the modern thinking world
Poch would for sure

I see what you mean in a way, as both can be quite abrasive and quite public when they are.

But...there are more than one way to lead....we complain about how 'cozy' things are at the club but then say the likes of Conte or Jose aren't 'modern thinking' leaders. Not sure we can have always have it both ways. Some felt Poch was too 'nice' too.

I think Pocha dn Conte were/are those who could be classed still as modern leaders. Conte more an obsessive football one that ignores some of his corporate marketing responsibilities perhaps.
I think Jose was a great leader in the past but his schtick has got tired these days imo..

I see what you mean in a way, as both can be quite abrasive and quite public when they are.

But...there are more than one way to lead....we complain about how 'cozy' things are at the club but then say the likes of Conte or Jose aren't 'modern thinking' leaders. Not sure we can have always have it both ways. Some felt Poch was too 'nice' too.

I think Pocha dn Conte were/are those who could be classed still as modern leaders. Conte more an obsessive football one that ignores some of his corporate marketing responsibilities perhaps.
I think Jose was a great leader in the past but his schtick has got tired these days imo..
There isn’t more than one way to lead and be successful long term
There is a lot more studies on it and trust is huge (see the video I posted on that)
Players want to trust the process. Clubs need the process
We all know what you’re getting with conte. A potential quick win and then toxicity
His team are top in Italy but they have only played one too half side and drew 0-0 and they have no Europe
With Mou he was all about the collective but he took the front of it
With Poch is was all about trust to start with., walking on hit coals was one of his things ti show they can do things
That’s modern management
We have arteta bringing in props to help
Unless you have bottomless money you have to be different if you want to build anything
And I know you will say you would love some short term success… we all would. Conte may have gotten that here if he actually wanted to be here

I should say @glorygloryeze im not a leadership evangelist but I’ve been converted more and more because I’ve been running a and supporting a lot of training in the subject across multiple countries and teams
The key is they all start off saying the person with highest numbers is best to lead…. And invariably when you scratch beneath the surface that person is great because their a subject matte4 expert and sometimes a person with only one focus
The best leaders I’ve seen have the bigger picture in mind. They get why your there today and where your trying to get too
It’s why Son is an odd choice as captain for me because he isn’t an answer long term delisted his experience and capability
If I was ti suggest someone it would likely be Kulu who talks with clarity and thought and has the age profile to be here long term. If I was picking a club captain it would be Ben Davies who has study many thinks about the game that I assume (possibly wrongly) he could apply in the game now

City’s leader is De Bruyne who is also studying his coaching licence
Arsenal have a few leaders and right now Rice the one with players injured
At pool it’s VVD and it shows as he sticks out bits physically but also when he talks … confidence and gravitas
We have a lot of players who talk with their head down (like ange does) and that doesn’t exude that gravitas part

I should say @glorygloryeze im not a leadership evangelist but I’ve been converted more and more because I’ve been running a and supporting a lot of training in the subject across multiple countries and teams
The key is they all start off saying the person with highest numbers is best to lead…. And invariably when you scratch beneath the surface that person is great because their a subject matte4 expert and sometimes a person with only one focus
The best leaders I’ve seen have the bigger picture in mind. They get why your there today and where your trying to get too
It’s why Son is an odd choice as captain for me because he isn’t an answer long term delisted his experience and capability
If I was ti suggest someone it would likely be Kulu who talks with clarity and thought and has the age profile to be here long term. If I was picking a club captain it would be Ben Davies who has study many thinks about the game that I assume (possibly wrongly) he could apply in the game now

City’s leader is De Bruyne who is also studying his coaching licence
Arsenal have a few leaders and right now Rice the one with players injured
At pool it’s VVD and it shows as he sticks out bits physically but also when he talks … confidence and gravitas
We have a lot of players who talk with their head down (like ange does) and that doesn’t exude that gravitas part

Hmm, very interesting, especially the last paragraph...

Who, in your opinion was the last good leader Spurs had a player?

Academy Update - September/October
Season 5 Episode 15

Steff and Milo deliver the second academy pod of the season as we look back at our U21s and U18s during Sept into mid-October, plus Milo gives the rundown on our various loanees progress including a stellar look at the Westerlo boys. There's some names to get excited about, so join us!

GZ1HqgbW0AcVcIE.jpeg

Back