• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The European Football Championship

Yes but in this instance it was given but there was contact in the loosest sense of the word.
Ange was a pundit for ITV who were doing the game and he rightly said VAR was brought in when something was clear and obvious that the ref missed but that was not clear and obvious.

I think it’s clear and obvious when you see the replay.

My point is that "criticism" very quickly morphs into complete and utter negativity with England, and that can only be detrimental at a tournament like this. It's not going to change anything, and just adds more negative noise and weight on the squad.
For me that's mostly just football.

United supporting friend of mine used to go on and on about how they back the manager, support him, not like all those other clubs. Sure they did when it was Ferguson and they were consistently successful. When not... Same as the rest of us.

Liverpool fans similarly imo like to look at themselves as better than. Did they back Hodgson when things were boring and uninspired...

English media is perhaps particularly toxic and that will influence fans a bit as well.

Part of dealing with that for a manager is to get a functional team in a functional system on the pitch. Southgate is failing to do that and the consequences/reactions are as predictable as they are unavoidable.

Imo the only way to get "better" fans, to not get those utterly negative reactions as much is to succeed.

Yes but in this instance it was given but there was contact in the loosest sense of the word.
Ange was a pundit for ITV who were doing the game and he rightly said VAR was brought in when something was clear and obvious that the ref missed but that was not clear and obvious.
That situation and the shirt pull... Compare the two and I think the shirt pull is more clear and obvious.

But I think consistency on this is too much to ask for and different people will see it differently. That will always be the case. At least they made the decisions fairly quickly.

Pierre-Etienne Minonzio, French journalist for L'Equipe who covers England at major tournaments, says Southgate has "lost his golden touch"

This is the first time I don't really understand Gareth. I was a huge supporter and sometimes as a joke at L'Equipe they told me I was obsessed with him - I always defended him and thought in the past some English people were unfair with him.

But for the first tournament I don't really understand some of his decisions - for example, for me, it is obvious that Foden is not good when he plays on the left. They tried to switch sometimes with Bellingham, but that was not working.

It makes me think a bit about Sven-Goran Eriksson in 2004, when he wanted to play with all his best players in midfield - Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham.

I was quite surprised Southgate accepted that fans threw cups at him, he gives the impression he accepts everyone criticising him, takes the burden, 'it is my job...' - I am not sure that is a good attitude, because you expect the England manager to defend himself a bit more. He seems a bit passive.

I didn't understand why he made reference to Kalvin Phillips, because he was not good at all these past few months? For the first time in his communication, which was one of the things he was so good at, and in his choices, I don't really understand Southgate.

Before the tournament, in L'Equipe, we said England were among the big favourites, but now we would say Spain or Germany.

We cannot see in the short term what could make it better. You have to put Cole Palmer in the starting XI, maybe throw out Foden, but is Southgate ready to make such huge decisions?

We'll see. If he does maybe we'll consider him differently, but at the moment England are considered disappointing at this tournament.

Can't say I always enjoy listening to to overwrought Peter Drury. But what a relief to hear Canada's TSN switch from the Fox Sports 1 feed in the first half of Italy-Switzerland to the world feed that Drury is commentating on.

In the first half, we were subjected to the overbearing and unlistenable Warren Barton repeatedly talking over, and occasionally challenging, the very competent commentating of his female colleague, Jacqui Oatley. It was unbearable to list to Barton. What a arrogant dikkhead.

Someone at TSN control was paying attention. So, now we've got Drury calling the match and what a relief.

Last edited:
Erm, the game has just been stopped for a thunderstorm! Seriously?!

Football is dead.

"Extreme weather" apparently.

Brings back great memories of watching games at the Lane with lightning in the skyline. It was beautiful.

Erm, the game has just been stopped for a thunderstorm! Seriously?!

Football is dead.

"Extreme weather" apparently.

Brings back great memories of watching games at the Lane with lightning in the skyline. It was beautiful.

Back in the day proper football men used to survive lightning strikes right?

I’ve stopped kids games because of thunderstorms. That’s standard FA guidance.

Back