• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The decision to fire AVB

I could tell you how I'd liberate India and it wouldn't make me Gandhi.

That is the point of inexperience though, isn't it?

I think AVB did have a plan, but executing it in less than ideal circumstances (no Falcao/Hulk/Moutinho), with the bumps that happen in the real world, with the pressure that is Spurs, proved too much for him.

That is the point of inexperience though, isn't it?

I think AVB did have a plan, but executing it in less than ideal circumstances (no Falcao/Hulk/Moutinho), with the bumps that happen in the real world, with the pressure that is Spurs, proved too much for him.

One report I read (unfortunately, I cannot remember where) said that Levy had explained our transfer policy to AVB before he joined and that he would be expected to develop young players. On joining, AVB asked for Hulk, Moutinho etc and then got the hump when they weren't signed. So the relationship between Levy and AVB was meant to be pretty fractious from the off.

One report I read (unfortunately, I cannot remember where) said that Levy had explained our transfer policy to AVB before he joined and that he would be expected to develop young players. On joining, AVB asked for Hulk, Moutinho etc and then got the hump when they weren't signed. So the relationship between Levy and AVB was meant to be pretty fractious from the off.

I'm sure he was also told 'get the Champions League'.

I'm sure AVB was fine with the remit to utilise the academy, but I'm sure he also thought he wasn't expected to just use young unproven academy players and foreign imports and break the top 4 in a season.

I could tell you how I'd liberate India and it wouldn't make me Gandhi.

But you couldn't though, could you? AVB actually does know something about football at an elite level.

And the point isn't just that he said to Roberts, 'I want to play good football'. The point of that meeting was so he could explain exactly how he was going to do it, to the point that one of the most vocal critics of his and an advocate of the Harry years completely changed his tune.

I have to say I remember that article (can anyone get the link??) and at the time it seemed to have a very pro-TS slant to it; perhaps it might look even more like that now...

I can see how the relationship might have been a bit fractious from the start, but then how does this explain backing him with the all that Bale money to sign 7 players if it really was fractious from the off?? Why would Levy invest so much money when he has a coach that has started their relationship in such a fractious way??

I'm of the opinion that selling bale soured everything, the relationship between AVB and DL broke down in the summer and levy proceeded to let Baldini build the squad planning to sack AVB as soon as he could justify it.

I'm of the opinion that selling bale soured everything, the relationship between AVB and DL broke down in the summer and levy proceeded to let Baldini build the squad planning to sack AVB as soon as he could justify it.

That could be a fair view tbh. AVB did state many times publically last summer that the board had given him assurances that Bale would not be sold..

exactly, he was bullish about it for a while then all of a sudden he stopped saying anything about bale when he got that "injury" during the summer tour

I've asked this a fair few times and nobody seems to answer.

Was AVB actually sacked, or did he walk away?

Mutual decision, the most prevalent version says he was summoned to discuss the results and he didn't want to fight for it, demand time, etc. he effectively gave up so the board felt they had no choice but to let him go ..

It soured before that (shortly after he joined) evidently which is why we were happy to let him talk to PSG last summer.

Jason Burt (who many on here to be a journalist who was close to AVB) said that he wanted out and that it was by mutual consent.

I have to say I remember that article (can anyone get the link??) and at the time it seemed to have a very pro-TS slant to it; perhaps it might look even more like that now...

I can see how the relationship might have been a bit fractious from the start, but then how does this explain backing him with the all that Bale money to sign 7 players if it really was fractious from the off?? Why would Levy invest so much money when he has a coach that has started their relationship in such a fractious way??

A number of reports after he left said that AVB only wanted us to sign Soldado, Capoue and Chadli. Signing the others was meant to be a decision taken by the club which presumably means Baldini and Levy.

I'm sure he was also told 'get the Champions League'.

I'm sure AVB was fine with the remit to utilise the academy, but I'm sure he also thought he wasn't expected to just use young unproven academy players and foreign imports and break the top 4 in a season.

I haven't seen anything that suggested it was a use the academy instruction but rather that we were not able to compete with the top clubs in Europe for the finished product and that we had a policy of signing young players with potential.

I haven't seen anything that suggested it was a use the academy instruction but rather that we were not able to compete with the top clubs in Europe for the finished product and that we had a policy of signing young players with potential.

And so what is wrong with wanting to sprinkle that potential with some proven talent if you have been given an objective that's looking pretty difficult to achieve considering how many times we've achieved it before?

Back