• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

Leicester were faffing with the ball for ages after Johnson coughed it up, enough time for everyone bar Solanke to have got back goal side.
I'm not sure that Johnson coughed up the ball there really..... He never really had possession of the ball did he? Got to the ball first in the initial challenge and then lost the battle 2 v 1?

The goal ended up being a consequence of Romero's bad decision but we easily could've conceded in the phase immediately before the goal when their number 14 waltzed into a couple of yards of space in front of VDV (who I think was poor with his positioning) but failed to connect with the cross that went across the 6 yard box. I let out a big *phew* after that only for it not to matter because Romero defended poorly immediately afterwards.

Even numbers defence v attack is definitely out of the ordinary. Those are the moments that teams that teams want to create as they quite often result in goals (the second Vardy chance was also a 4 on 4 after one single pass from their centre back) Of course better still is more attackers versus less defenders but those moments only tend to happen with counter attacks against teams who massively overcommit late on when chasing a game.
Agreed.

Difficult situations to defend. Split second decisions, loads of movement of the ball, the attacking team and the defenders. Mistakes happen in those situations.

Romero did not have his best game, including for the goal. To me not an underlying issue with him as a defender.

I don't have an issue with the jist of your post but I'm not sure you can say we were fine when we only scored the one goal despite the possessional dominance. It actually says there's something not quite clicking with the system whereby it's not quite turning territorial and possession dominance into clear cut chances.

Annoying in the end Leicester had by far the best chance of the whole evening and that should be the case.
It was our 65m new strikers first game, another day he gets two and people shoot instinctively and we are fine

I made the point to say we got what we deserved for not taking a chance, but I don't see yesterday as the world caving in like others do

Agreed.

Difficult situations to defend. Split second decisions, loads of movement of the ball, the attacking team and the defenders. Mistakes happen in those situations.

Romero did not have his best game, including for the goal. To me not an underlying issue with him as a defender.
Also think the back 4 were not communicating, Porro should be screaming at Romero as the player facing play, not a massive slaughtering of him, but it's indicative of the problems

It was our 65m new strikers first game, another day he gets two and people shoot instinctively and we are fine

I made the point to say we got what we deserved for not taking a chance, but I don't see yesterday as the world caving in like others do
Like yourself I don't see it as the world caving but I think that's because I have quite a realistic view of the team and squad and our expectations. The fragilities we displayed last season at the most basic level we haven't really addressed so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that the same problems are still present.

It is a lil frustrating because we are close to be very good but just have the same reoccurring frailties that seems to not be addressed or maybe the current group just can't do so. We will concede more goals like yesterday just like we did last season. It makes me feel like the only way to succeed for this team is to actually just pummel teams because we are never going to be a completely right ship when we will create space for glaring chances against us.

Like yourself I don't see it as the world caving but I think that's because I have quite a realistic view of the team and squad and our expectations. The fragilities we displayed last season at the most basic level we haven't really addressed so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that the same problems are still present.

It is a lil frustrating because we are close to be very good but just have the same reoccurring frailties that seems to not be addressed or maybe the current group just can't do so. We will concede more goals like yesterday just like we did last season. It makes me feel like the only way to succeed for this team is to actually just pummel teams because we are never going to be a completely right ship when we will create space for glaring chances against us.
But how do you know we haven’t fixed them?
It’s one game and one we would have won if Romero had done his job
Gamea turn quickly
Fans turn even quicker
Their fans to behind them after that goal
But… of it carries on for a similar period that we had last year then it’s a BIG concern
I haven’t read (I haven’t looked) the arse fans reaction to how poor Saliba was at the weekend (there are some great vids of it). They are fine because they won

But how do you know we haven’t fixed them?
It’s one game and one we would have won if Romero had done his job
Gamea turn quickly
Fans turn even quicker
Their fans to behind them after that goal
But… of it carries on for a similar period that we had last year then it’s a BIG concern
I haven’t read (I haven’t looked) the arse fans reaction to how poor Saliba was at the weekend (there are some great vids of it). They are fine because they won
You're talking If, buts and maybes. Let's just talk about reality and reality is we didn't win and Romero did make the mistake and he has made that mistake before and will make that mistake again in the future.

I have no idea why you are trying to deflect and talk about Arsenal. We aren't Arsenal fans and how Saliba played isn't our concern other than if you play FPL.

There were times last night where we didn’t have anyone in the middle of our own half.

The midfield is a problem.

We need someone that sits in front of the back four and never leaves our half.

My biggest hope for the last window was to bring in a DM, for me that is our weakness and until we do so it will be hard to not continue the same.

I don't have an issue with the jist of your post but I'm not sure you can say we were fine when we only scored the one goal despite the possessional dominance. It actually says there's something not quite clicking with the system whereby it's not quite turning territorial and possession dominance into clear cut chances.

Annoying in the end Leicester had by far the best chance of the whole evening and that should be the case.

And that is a legitimate call out

- We try to walk the ball into the net, and between Johnson, Solanke (with caveat of it's his first game), Maddison, Son (take the shot), there was 2-3 more goals in that game that have to be taken

Pretty high bar if you're expecting us to limit teams to fewer than 2 chances.

Exactly, said it earlier

- Go watch the City/Chelsea game, zero reality that City conceded less or less quality challenges than we did (and yes, I get the quality of opposition difference)

There is some weird new thing that teams don't conceded chances, Arsenal conceded challenges against Wolves. We played Leicester off the park for large parts of the game, unfortunately Vardy (as much as I don't like the guy) is probably the best striker outside top 6, and he took one of the two chances ..

There were times last night where we didn’t have anyone in the middle of our own half.

The midfield is a problem.

We need someone that sits in front of the back four and never leaves our half.
That's really just a 3rd CB, trying to compensate for the high FBs.

Would you swap say Sarr or Johnson for Dragusin to find that balance?

You're talking If, buts and maybes. Let's just talk about reality and reality is we didn't win and Romero did make the mistake and he has made that mistake before and will make that mistake again in the future.

I have no idea why you are trying to deflect and talk about Arsenal. We aren't Arsenal fans and how Saliba played isn't our concern other than if you play FPL.
I’m saying they ain’t judging on one game
Why are we?
We’re relying everything to last season
It’s a new one
If we keep on looking backwards we never go forwards

Exactly, said it earlier

- Go watch the City/Chelsea game, zero reality that City conceded less or less quality challenges than we did (and yes, I get the quality of opposition difference)

There is some weird new thing that teams don't conceded chances, Arsenal conceded challenges against Wolves. We played Leicester off the park for large parts of the game, unfortunately Vardy (as much as I don't like the guy) is probably the best striker outside top 6, and he took one of the two chances ..
Chelsea wasted chances
We did
But we were dominant and wasteful and they weren’t

I can't remember the last goal we conceded where we were in some sort of shape and the opposition moved us around and created something.

We're always defending facing and sprinting back towards our own goal, man for man hoping someone doesn't make a mistake. It's an insanley high risk style of defending to expect a defender to never make a mistake or VDV to catch up with the attacker. As has been said we don't concede a lot of chances but the ones we do seem to be 1v1's, which conversley we don't seem to create.

I've said before just pushing up one of the fullbacks would solve a lot of the issues, have one overlap instead of underlap also. Just feels like a system flaw to say we're gonna have most of the ball and attack but give up high value chances as a result of that. Every goal is due to a player mistake somewhere, so a system that relies on them never making a mistake is strange to me,

I can't remember the last goal we conceded where we were in some sort of shape and the opposition moved us around and created something.

We're always defending facing and sprinting back towards our own goal, man for man hoping someone doesn't make a mistake. It's an insanley high risk style of defending to expect a defender to never make a mistake or VDV to catch up with the attacker. As has been said we don't concede a lot of chances but the ones we do seem to be 1v1's, which conversley we don't seem to create.

I've said before just pushing up one of the fullbacks would solve a lot of the issues, have one overlap instead of underlap also. Just feels like a system flaw to say we're gonna have most of the ball and attack but give up high value chances as a result of that. Every goal is due to a player mistake somewhere, so a system that relies on them never making a mistake is strange to me,

City is our closest comparison in terms of overcommit and the open chances it creates (and yes, they have better quality across the pitch)

What makes City work is Rodri, hard data backs it up, the variation in their win rate with/without him in the side is ridiculous. Our back line is good enough, we just need some consistent protection from midfield.

The choice we are going to make is do we let Gray grow into that role supported by Bissouma/Bentancur and understand we will see a bit of the same this year or do we go find a more ready to go #6?

I think that's the way it is, we kept ball better and take chances and we become a better side.

I've seen us sit back in 2 banks of 4 and lose games like last night and it be alot worse than last night even though the clubs emphasis was on "sounder defensive fundementals".

Teams get punished at this level for not killing games, we ain't Aliens from Mars in that respect

I’m saying they ain’t judging on one game
Why are we?
We’re relying everything to last season
It’s a new one
If we keep on looking backwards we never go forwards
Because the end of a season doesn't wipe everything that came before it. Our defensive lapses are nothing new, our struggles Vs counters are nothing new, conceding easy goals despite dominating the possession of games is again nothing new.

I think you're being unrealistic to expect a new season to herald a complete and utter change in performance level or basic systemic issues without wholesale changes to the components (ie. Players or manager).

It's not about writing us off (I can't imagine many are doing that right now). It's just recognising that we are still suffering from many of the same issues this squad players of players had previously. We can bury our heads in the sand and pretend nothing that came before has any impact on today but that's not actually how reality works.

I stead we use the past as a guide to the future and you use your past experiences to learn and inform your next actions.

For me the sky isn't falling by any means but it is more of the same. We are still incredibly gung ho and that makes us vulnerable on the counter. Ange's way to solve that is to be more lethal when we do have our chances.

This was a game where it would have been great to have had a player like Bissouma not be suspended by his employer for being a total macaron.

Back