• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - right wing forward

Who is the best right wing forward to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we are doing

Right. It's time to stop moping and choose the best Spurs team of the Premier League era.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The only criteria to be nominated is that the player must have played for Spurs in the Premier League.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1.

Reminiscing about favourite players past and present is encouraged.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

The eighth position up for grabs - right midfield, right wing, right inside forward, right wing forward or inside right, take your pick.

Who you think is best? A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

Anderton will get plenty of votes, a loyal player who was too good for us for most of his time here, that said, I think Lennon had a greater impact and was the most important player in our systems under Jol and Arry for large periods of time, so he'll get my vote.

Dazza at a cantor.

Honourables to Lennon and Simon Davies.

In fact those 3 have pretty much had the position tied up between them for the past 24 years. Both Anderton and Lennon clocked up decades with us (though interestingly neither got testimonials because of fall-outs with club hierarchy).

Anderton will get plenty of votes, a loyal player who was too good for us for most of his time here, that said, I think Lennon had a greater impact and was the most important player in our systems under Jol and Arry for large periods of time, so he'll get my vote.

Anderton has become a massively underrated player. I've watched 2 random games with him in this week - Spurs-Liverpool from March 95 and England-Colombia from WC 98 - and they reminded me of just how good he was. He was such a clever player, a beautiful dribbler, and had superb end product.

Darren Anderton was the main man on the right wing when I started following Spurs in 1996, so he'd get my vote. But, Aaron Lennon wouldn't be far behind.

Bit of a weak position for us when you think about it - Anderton and Lennon worthy of inclusion but the drop off from there is huge

2 man poll this one

Anderton has become a massively underrated player. I've watched 2 random games with him in this week - Spurs-Liverpool from March 95 and England-Colombia from WC 98 - and they reminded me of just how good he was. He was such a clever player, a beautiful dribbler, and had superb end product.

Yes he was.

I'm not sure we can call it a weak position given it was occupied for so long by two players. We wouldn't have have been looking for alternatives. Of 924 PL games, Lennon played 265, nearly all on the right, and Anderton played 299, although not all on the right. Davies played 152 PL games. That's our #1, #4 and '#15 in our PL appearance list.

As an aside, the team picked on most appearances would be:

Walker (241)

Carr (226) ... Campbell (254) ... King (268) ... Edinburgh (175)

Jenas (155) ... Huddlestone (144)

Anderton (299) ... Sheringham (236) ... Bale (146)

Defoe (276)

Honourable mentions missing out because their position is already taken by a higher ranked player: Lennon (265), Keane (238), Dawson (236), Calderwood (164), Assou-Ekotto (155), Davies (152) and Kyle Walker (146).

Just below those are Howells (143), Iversen (143), Armstrong (141), Robinson (139), Mabbutt (138), Lloris (136), Tarricco (131) and Modric (126).

Edit: Those numbers are all appearances. I probably should have used starts as the criteria, in which case Keane replaces Defoe and Howells replaces Huddlestone.

Last edited:
Only two worth considering for me, Anderton who a very good player for us and ( imo) was better then Beckham for England. The other would be Lennon who always made us a better side when he was in it.

Bit of a weak position for us when you think about it - Anderton and Lennon worthy of inclusion but the drop off from there is huge

2 man poll this one

But Anderton and Lennon played that position between them for about 20 of the 24 season, with Davies picking up the intervening period

Ruel Fox made more than 100 appearances for us.

Ginola occasionally featured on the right.

But Anderton and Lennon played that position between them for about 20 of the 24 season, with Davies picking up the intervening period

Two players who arguably failed to fulfill their potential managed to keep hold of the shirt for long periods of time because the drop off in quality was so big - easily our weakest selection of players if you was to do say a top 10, Left Mid may be similar actually

Last edited:
Dominguez (did he play on the right, might have been left), Fox, Leonhardsen.....some sh1te players we've had.

Back