• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - centre forward

Who is the best centre forward to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Berbs had 10 times the ability though.

In fact, I'm not sure how much longevity should really count here as for most of the PL era our better players have been snapped up by the top teams. Had Keane been even nearly as good as Berbatov he'd have been off to United after 2 seasons too.

I agree. This is about quality, not a long service award.

I agree. This is about quality, not a long service award.

And by this logic, along with the fact that the actual Poll question states "who is the best centre forward to play for Spurs in the Prem league" (so irrespective of how they played in the Spurs shirt), then the answer is abundantly clear…

The best striker in that list was Klinsmann.

Not including any mickey mouse cup games, these are Premier League appearances and goals for Jurgen, Berba and our Lord Harry Kane (source is wiki):

Klinsmann: 56 games, 30 goals (0.54 goals per game) - best league season = 41 games, 21 goals
Berbatov: 70 games, 27 goals (0.39 goals per game) - best league season = 36 games, 15 goals
Kane: 83 games, 49 goals (0.59 goals per game) - best league season = 38 games, 25 goals

Kane is the best. Berbatov is an insult, though a very silky one.

And by this logic, along with the fact that the actual Poll question states "who is the best centre forward to play for Spurs in the Prem league" (so irrespective of how they played in the Spurs shirt), then the answer is abundantly clear…

The best striker in that list was Klinsmann.

No, it is a poll to find the best Spurs team of the PL era. So only performances for Spurs matter.

Not including any mickey mouse cup games, these are Premier League appearances and goals for Jurgen, Berba and our Lord Harry Kane (source is wiki):

Klinsmann: 56 games, 30 goals (0.54 goals per game) - best league season = 41 games, 21 goals
Berbatov: 70 games, 27 goals (0.39 goals per game) - best league season = 36 games, 15 goals
Kane: 83 games, 49 goals (0.59 goals per game) - best league season = 38 games, 25 goals

Kane is the best. Berbatov is an insult, though a very silky one.

Impressive as Kane's stats are, though, bald figures rarely tell the whole story, and not much can be taken in isolation. Few would argue that the average level of the starting XI now isn't better than it was when Berbatov and Keane were banging them in, for example, and that, along with differences around systems and roles, obviously has an impact. Berbatov has been the classiest act we've had up top, in my view (which is not to say he couldn't be eclipsed in time).

Not happy Teddy is at number ten he was always part of a two on a 442 but hey ho.

Klinsmann for me.

Where's Crouch :(

The others wouldn't stand a chance, so I left him out

To be fair to Crouch, he scored two of the most important goals in that whole CL journey - the winner at City to qualify and the winner at the San Siro to set up a QF against Real Madrid. Not to mention a hat-trick against Young Boys that sealed our Group place. Bonus points for sinking the Gooners with a treble at Liverpool too.

Of course I am glossing over his pathetically weak shot, the way we resorted to desperately lumping it to his head for the last 10 mins every time we needed a goal, and most importantly the butchering of the very CL campaign to which he was so integral - getting sent off after 10 mins in Madrid (a first leg we lost 4-0).

But still, he's bit of a cult hero for me. Nowhere near this poll, but a hero nonetheless.

Speaking of Young Boys it would be rude not to give Super Pav a mention. Hugely frustrating, but scored so many big goals - especially that banger to rescue a 3-2 in Bern.

He also relegated Birmingham.

I really was too young to have a fair judgement on Klinsmann. Same reason why I have abstained from every poll.

Except the all-time CB one.

I'll never forget, and will always reserve a place in my affections for Klinsmann for saving us from Christian Gross, mind you, and what at the time was beginning to feel like a one-way ticket to relegation. I still remember the sight of CG standing on the touchline at Selhurst with a face like a spanked arse while Juergen almost single-handedly ripped up his game-plan to ensure our survival, as though it were only yesterday.

I'll never forget, and will always reserve a place in my affections for Klinsmann for saving us from Christian Gross, mind you, and what at the time was beginning to feel like a one-way ticket to relegation. I still remember the sight of CG standing on the touchline at Selhurst with a face like a spanked arse while Juergen almost single-handedly ripped up his game-plan to ensure our survival, as though it were only yesterday.

Keane single handedly saved us from relegation at least twice. Remember we used to get called 'West Ham with Robbie Keane'

I'd love to visit the parallel universe that GB lives in sometime but I fear that it would be impossible. I am just glad that he has found a way to communicate with us and give us a glimpse of a different reality.

Who called us that?

Probably Andy Gray and/or whoever the Sky pundits were around that time.

It was probably more correctly 'West Ham but with Robbie Keane'. West Ham were a decent enough side but got relegated. We were quite a similar side at that point, but Keane's goals made sure we were safe in mid-table.

Back