• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He was only really in the first team for one season but I seem to recall he steadied our ship and helped bring a certain Mr King along in leaps and bounds.

That's my preference. Any objections?
Woodgate's never going to win through but he did play a massive part in helping us win a trophy. I'd say he easily deserves a place on the shortlist ahead of Vertonghen who's not won anything yet and did have that one very wobbly season.

Ledley and Mabbutt.....simples. Although Maxi Millar and Graham Roberts were a fearsome, hard pairing back in the early eighties.

When you take into account Mabbutt played his whole career as a type 1 diabetic as well shows the mark of the man. Rarely booked, because his positional play was outstanding.

There is no way in HELL Campbell should ever be included in any poll for a Spurs Best X1. I dont care how he played before he fudged us over. What he did was stick a knife in our back and fudge of to our greatest rivals.

Now to my choices. King is the best Centre back I have ever seen play live. Much better than any around him. He was world class. Second choice would need to be Mabbutt. Classy and brilliant. Gough was here too short a time.

Would have agreed but to be honest - he was a solid CB. Whether we should honour him is a different question. I had always wished we had seen a King / Campbell combination.

I know this is an "all time" list, but I'm restricting myself to players I have first-hand knowledge / memories of... my Dad's list would be quite different I'm sure. It means I won't be voting for the likes of Mackay, Blanchflower or even Greaves (despite knowing they almost certainly deserve a place). Controversial, no doubt, but it'll have to do. I've also decided against voting for Campbell. Arguably he was a better player than one of the CBs I have voted for - but I still don't want to see him in my Spurs All-Time squad.

So King and Mabbutt for me in this poll.

I have voted for England and Mackay, I know Dave was not a real CB as such ( we only had one in those days) but he was an great defender and the hardest player I have seen on a football pitch. I saw him break his leg in a game at Utd and he was sat up on the stretcher as he was carried off ( clapping us fans). In those days a broken leg usually meant the end of your playing days but Dave was back playing a year later only for him to suffer another break to his leg, despite that he once again returned to capt our side and played in our 67 FA Cup win.

When he eventually left us he went to Derby and capt them to promotion to the top league. As I say he was the hardest player I have ever seen and yet he only stood 5ft 7ins tall, I suppose most fans have seen the great picture of him holding BB by the neck in a game against Leeds, the reason he did that was ( in his own words) he got kicked ( on purpose) by BB on the same leg he had broke. Since then he has said that he regreted doing that as it was not in the spirit of the game, there are many fans who believe Dave was our greatest ever player and I understand why they say that.

I've got a crap memory! I'm impressed with some of the other old codgers on here

Last edited:
I've got a crap memory! I'm impressed with some of the other old codgers on her

york.gif

How come Mackay is being presented as a centre half? Wouldn't the current equivalent of his typical position be more as a defensive midfielder?

Maybe older posters such as @parklane1 can clarify?

So many things in that video:

Richards RIP, Doherty and Jackson in a Spurs shirt FFS, keeper picking up a backpass...

Anyone moaning about the current team needs to see that video and understand how far we have come.

Jackson hates us. Big Arsenal fan and even celebrated when they played us and he was in the reserves

We met him at Newmarket and started out quite civil until he realised we were a bunch of yids... We ended up hammering him

Back