• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre back

Who is going to partner King in the back two for our all time best Spurs team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're limited to a maximum of ten on the polls on this site. Which four should not make the cut?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Norman
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson
Mackay
Naybet

There is 13 there, tough choice but for me it would be Miller, Roberts and Naybet all good players but not in the same class as the others ( imo).

I added Norman in between you counting and quoting

I think your suggestion may be the way to go Players, like Toby have not been around for a while and I think if we are naming our best of all time he and others need to show it a bit longer.

I think your suggestion may be the way to go Players, like Toby have not been around for a while and I think if we are naming our best of all time he and others need to show it a bit longer.

Can anyone think of a better way of narrowing it down?

There is no way in HELL Campbell should ever be included in any poll for a Spurs Best X1. I dont care how he played before he fudged us over. What he did was stick a knife in our back and fudge of to our greatest rivals.

Now to my choices. King is the best Centre back I have ever seen play live. Much better than any around him. He was world class. Second choice would need to be Mabbutt. Classy and brilliant. Gough was here too short a time.

To help us picture where players from the double winning team played, I found this:

lineup.jpg

@milo - for the poll, maybe you could choose 10 from the 14, do one poll to select the first centre-back. Then cut the winner of that poll and the 3 lowest polling players, and do a second poll of those that remain from the first poll, plus the other 4 players who weren't on the first list.

@milo - for the poll, maybe you could choose 10 from the 14, do one poll to select the first centre-back. Then cut the winner of that poll and the 3 lowest polling players, and do a second poll of those that remain from the first poll, plus the other 4 players who weren't on the first list.

That makes sense, what do people think?

We're limited to a maximum of ten on the polls on this site. Which four should not make the cut?

KIng
Mabbutt
Roberts
Norman
Gough
England
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Woodgate
Campbell
Miller
Dawson
Mackay
Naybet

Gough, Woodgate, Alder and Naybet didn't play enough games. Lose those 4 IMO

Last edited:
To help us picture where players from the double winning team played, I found this:

lineup.jpg

I believe that formation is more like:

---------------------------Brown
Baker-------------------Norman--------------Henry
Jones--------Blanchflower---Mackay------Dyson
-------------White-------------------Allen
-------------------------Smith

I.e. Blanchflower and Mackay were more comparable to CMs.

I believe that formation is more like:

---------------------------Brown
Baker-------------------Norman--------------Henry
Jones--------Blanchflower---Mackay------Dyson
-------------White-------------------Allen
-------------------------Smith

I.e. Blanchflower and Mackay were more comparable to CMs.

Makes sense. Gonna be hard to choose centre-mid when it comes around!

It is a shame that this has come a year or two too early for Toby. He has not put a foot wrong since joining.

I wonder if @Gutter Boy still stands by his comment just before he signed

To be fair, the Alder we've got now is nothing like the one I watched struggling in Spain or inconsistent at Soton.

Someone spotted a gem in there and has really created a platform for him to blossom.

Ledley King
Jan Vertonghen
Toby Alderweireld
Gary Mabbutt

Those are the top of my list. Says something about the quality of our central defenders over the past 25 years. clambell would've been in there hadn't he been such a clam.

Back