• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Re: Michel Platini: Goal-line technology too costly for Champions League

The opponents of technological review always insist that it has to be all-or-nothing. Their guiding principle is that its better to keep all the mistakes rather than eliminate 90% of them. Here he points to the 280 stadia as the reason. Given that these include many clubs, exempt the qualifiers from the requirement. No change means its no better or worse for these games. But make it a requirement for the group stage onwards. Teams get 3 million for getting to the group stage so the 165k per stadium is trivial.

Complete joke. Take that tiny chunk from the already massive bonus paid to the winners, runners up, etc. They won't even notice, and I am sure they would be happy to know that they won't be knocked out of the competition from a goal that never was.

Or just use simpler technology, like utilising the already existing, superior camera angles. fudge me, what perfection.

This is not to do with the cost. That is a smokescreen for his real reason, whatever it may be.

This rather minor and most likely little used technology will open the technology door a crack. Maybe Platini afraid that it will be the first of many changes. Long overdue changes in my opinion.

If goal line tech is too expensive then just use video replays.

Simples.

100% agree with this. It doesnt need to disrupt the game. The rules should be:

1) each team gets maximum of 1 replay/appeal per game
2) TV is positioned at side of pitch for ref to be able to review incident immediately
3) replays can only be used for very selected major incidents which clearly impact the result of game. These would probably just be: ball over line, penalty, red card, disputing a goal.
4) Appeal has to be made to the 4th official within, say, 5 second of the incident
5) Ref can refuse to review an appeal if he believes its just a manager time wasting

These rules would mean that no manager would spuriously waste his 1 appeal as he wouldnt want to risk getting to the last 5 mins and then having a blatant pen refused. The big problem with the replay system is cricket is that captains get two appeals so they use the first as a freebie / hopeful appeal to try and then keep one back to reverse a **** up

Plus by limiting the incidents to a few things, it means you cant get managers wasting time by appealing for a throw or corner or something pointless

System would be incredibly cheap and wouldnt interupt the game any more than someone going down injured

Why does the technology have to be removed after each CL game? Can't it be fitted with an on/off button?

Plus why can't the technology be implemented for all top flight teams and their games? That's where the money is...top flight football and ECL.

How much money do clubs lose on the so-called 'rare' occasions when the ref needs help? More than the cost of the technology, that's for sure. And the fact that these games all have enough television cameras to see whether the ball crossed the line means the complaint will not go away.

they are all on the fiddle the more i hear them talk UEFA FIFA just make be believe it more and more. Its like they have no interest at all in cutting down on errors.

How much did it cost for cricket and tennis to implement new technology systems? Both sports make far, far less money than football worldwide.

The guy is a fudging joker! He's making Sepp Blatter look like the more intelligent, forward thinking visionary of the two. Well done Michel =D>

goal line tech is a sham

just have a man in a room watching the replays on a monitor ffs

they are all on the fiddle the more i hear them talk UEFA FIFA just make be believe it more and more. Its like they have no interest at all in cutting down on errors.

I must admit, I do like conspiracy theories, even though it's a bit cynical to believe in them sometimes, but I just cannot think of another reason why they don't want it besides the fact that they want all the top teams to keep benefitting from refeering decisions. Whereas technology will no doubt level the playing field in that area.

This is not to do with the cost. That is a smokescreen for his real reason, whatever it may be.

This rather minor and most likely little used technology will open the technology door a crack. Maybe Platini afraid that it will be the first of many changes. Long overdue changes in my opinion.

Agreed 100%

How much did it cost for cricket and tennis to implement new technology systems? Both sports make far, far less money than football worldwide.

The guy is a fudging joker! He's making Sepp Blatter look like the more intelligent, forward thinking visionary of the two. Well done Michel =D>

Not sure cricket is a good example. As far as i can recall Hawkeye was first introduced as a punditry tool.

Easier ways to sort problems with balls going over the line etc than wasting money on technology. We already have the technology, it's called a television.

Platini was a great footballer. Now all he'll be remembered for is being a prize prat.

I think I'm with Platini on this one. (Ducks and covers) .....

Why? 10m a year for 5 years in the richest club competition going. Of all the things it is, it isn't too expensive. Especially when...

If goal line tech is too expensive then just use video replays. Simples.

... the cameras are there already. It's the next best thing and a good starting point.

Re: OT Goal-Line Technology

British-based company Hawk-Eye have been awarded the contract to provide goal-line technology (GLT) for the Premier League next season, MailOnline understands.

The decision is expected to be finalised at a Premier League meeting this afternoon, with final contracts signed in the next few weeks.

Hawk-Eye missed out to German rivals GoalControl to provide GLT for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup in Brazil, but have been chosen to supply, install and maintain the technology at the 20 Premier League stadiums next season, as well as Wembley.

The FA and Premier League ran a joint tender process and invited Hawk-Eye and the three other FIFA-licensed companies - GoalControl, GoalRef and Cairos, all of which are based in Germany – to apply.

But MailOnline understands it is Hawk-Eye’s camera-based system – which costs around £250,000 per ground – which will be installed in stadiums over the summer months, with the FA keen to use GLT for the first time at the Community Shield in mid-August. The technology will also be used in the FA Cup, from the third round onwards in any stadium already equipped with GLT.

FA General Secretary Alex Horne told BBC Sport earlier this week: ‘I always thought it was an ideal piece of technology to allow into the game. The (Premier League) club meeting is on Thursday so I'm expecting it to go through at that meeting.’

‘There are occasions (when GLT is needed) and we've seen them here at Wembley, we've seen them in World Cups, we've seen them 11 or 12 times in the Premier League this season alone.

‘So technology that says 'yes, the ball has crossed the line' and lets the referee know makes an awful lot of sense to me.

‘Particularly where it's a knock-out situation, incorrect decisions have less opportunity to even themselves out over a season.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2307376/Hawk-eye-awarded-Premier-League-contract-goalline-technology--Exclusive.html

I like football - I liek the way the game played in Blue Squ is essentially the same as premiership. I liek the way that if you are playing in England, Brazil or Africa it is pretty much the same game. I think this is one of the reasons for its success.

I can not see why this would improve a game, mistakes happen very rarely and altering the simplicity of the game is overkill.

I like football - I liek the way the game played in Blue Squ is essentially the same as premiership. I liek the way that if you are playing in England, Brazil or Africa it is pretty much the same game. I think this is one of the reasons for its success.

I can not see why this would improve a game, mistakes happen very rarely and altering the simplicity of the game is overkill.

How does it make the game less simple?

If the ball crosses a line its a goal, if it doesn't cross the line it's not a goal. Something that determines whether or not it has simplifies the game far more than having the ref/linesman guess.

You say mistakes happen rarely, well rarely still means they happen. Surely never is a far better option for mistakes than rarely?

The game will still be played in exactly the same way through the leagues, just the accuracy of decision making will be higher in the top leagues.

I don't see how this alters the game. You can still play it just like you used to, but at the top level, where the stakes are incredibly high at times, this will help minimize the number of game changing errors.

The whole purpose of football is to score goals, it's nice to have them count when legit.

Good news IMO. Now all they need to do is mic the refs. Would love to hear what the refs are saying. The other day QPR vs Wigan you could just about hear what Zamora was saying as he was close to the mics on the pitch when he got sent off, its quite refreshing to hear what they are saying.

Back