• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Re: OT Goal-Line Technology

article-2386710-1B336A2B000005DC-177_634x457.jpg

Wenger demonstrating goal line technology to the press. :lol:

article-2386710-1B3368FC000005DC-19_634x369.jpg

article-2385936-1305D360000005DC-101_634x378.jpg

article-2386710-1B336E16000005DC-429_634x437.jpg

article-2386710-1B3375AA000005DC-692_634x450.jpg

The goal-line technology system for the Premier League and Wembley Stadium was unveiled today and hailed as one of the most important developments in the 150 years since football rules were laid down.

The Hawk-Eye system uses 14 cameras and will send a signal with the space of a second to the referee's watch and ear-piece indicating that the ball has crossed the line. The first use of the system will take place at the Community Shield match between Manchester United and Wigan at Wembley on Sunday.

The system was unveiled at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium this morning and FA general secretary Alex Horne said: 'This is one of the biggest changes that has happened in the 150 years since we conceived the laws of the game and it is fitting that it is happening in out 150th anniversary year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2386710/Goal-line-technology-unveiled-Premier-League.html

Looking at our luck with situations like this in the past, can see us being the first team to be given goal against using this technology.

does anyone know what will happen for some reason if the system breaks down before the game or during the game,do both sides have to agree to carry on,or if one side doesn't want to play the game gets postponed.

What happens if a situation occurs where a goal has been denied but was a goal and the system wasnt working and it the costs a side a 4th place for example or sends a side down,does the affected club have a right of appeal and get the game replayed or take owners of the system to court for damages.

i can see certain scenarios hapening because the amount of money that is gambled in the far east markets. there was a trend years ago about the fllodlights going off in certain games which was connected to the asian markets.

Looking at our luck with situations like this in the past, can see us being the first team to be given goal against using this technology.

does anyone know what will happen for some reason if the system breaks down before the game or during the game,do both sides have to agree to carry on,or if one side doesn't want to play the game gets postponed.

What happens if a situation occurs where a goal has been denied but was a goal and the system wasnt working and it the costs a side a 4th place for example or sends a side down,does the affected club have a right of appeal and get the game replayed or take owners of the system to court for damages.

i can see certain scenarios hapening because the amount of money that is gambled in the far east markets. there was a trend years ago about the fllodlights going off in certain games which was connected to the asian markets.

I think it's nailed on that when (because new technology always does) this system fails massively for the first time, it will be in one of our games. And certainly not in our favour.

Most likely the PL will have contracts with the clubs covering these eventualities, most likely the clubs won't have any rights to postpone, replay or get damages.

Will we have situations where a ball has even hit the net but where the ref will not give the goal because his fancy watch doesn't read "goal", due to a failure of the system?

Re: Goal-Line Technology

[tweet]508974725641797633[/tweet]

This isn't really related to goal line technology.

In my mind the referral system would be great in a theoretical environment. How often do we as the public see thinks occur, and still argue about what happened after the slow motion and multiple replays?

Granted it should be good for stopping the more horrific mistakes that referees make.

In addition the 'when the game has stopped' bit confuses the hall out of the issue. In regards to goals scored, would the goal be discounted if the challenge won against a tackle made 3-4 minutes previously? Will we see players willingly kicking the ball out of play to allow their manager to make a challenge?

Last edited:
Re: Goal-Line Technology

You sound like you expect Sepp to have actually thought this through, Spursalot?

About fecking time. I never thought those corrupt old dinosaurs at FIFA would have come around to this modern line of thinking. Really doesn't have to disrupt the game like a lot of people think it will. How many minutes are wasted by players and managers arguing with the ref? Start with one decision in the penalty box side per game and see how it goes.

You'd almost think that he was up for reelection soon

I don't think it's anything to do with that, he's far to much of an egomaniac to think he'd actually have to work for it, and he knows he can shop his rivals to the corruption board and buy a few votes here and there

You'd almost think that he was up for reelection soon

I don't understand why. He's 78 and probably loaded. You'd think he'd have far better things to do with the time he has left than run a footballing organisation badly.

Do you think after the mess of this last term with all the corruption, people getting fired (J Warner, Bin Hamman), then the whole Qatar thing.. he is thinking... *******s I can't go out like that. Or is he just a crazy old bloke who can't let go?

spursalot, it's the greatest job in the world, what could he do in his retirement that would be more fun?

dingdongo, yep

Do you think after the mess of this last term with all the corruption, people getting fired (J Warner, Bin Hamman), then the whole Qatar thing.. he is thinking... *******s I can't go out like that. Or is he just a crazy old bloke who can't let go?

Yep I think this is it. He is worried about his legacy and he is jumping on the popular topics in a vain attempt to deflect attention and clean up his image. It won't work IMO, as there has been too much **** going on for too long to erase it out of memory now.

Wasn't there a long awaited report on corruption in FIFA just released last week? Coincidence?
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29082308

Back