• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is it just me or do Fulham look very very good now, with Petric and Rodallega. They are not exactly skint of attack..

They really are a decent squad, although I think holding on to Dempsey will ultimately decide how good they will be, he carried that team most of the season last year

r.e. Dembele - I'm not sure how Jol insisting on playing him further back automatically 'converts' him into a playmaker CM - that is not his natural position, not by a long shot, although Jol had to accommodate Dempsey somehow

Similar to Sturridge being forced out wide - he is a striker first and foremost

Considering he seemed much more capable at CM than as an attacking player (IMO, an opinion it seems Im not alone in), could it not be that in Jol pushing him back he found his niche?

Players often start out in one position and end up somewhere completeley different - werent A Cole and S Campbell strikers originally?

Scott Parker was an ACM! Wouldnt believe it now!

Considering he seemed much more capable at CM than as an attacking player, could it not be that in Jol pushing him back he found his niche?

How can that be true when his strongest attributes are that of an attacking player and the best games I've caught of him were largerly centered around his highlights going forward, taking on players and taking shots - i.e. Hulk

How can that be true when his strongest attributes are that of an attacking player and the best games I've caught of him were largerly centered around his highlights going forward, taking on players and taking shots - i.e. Hulk

His strongest attributes in my view have been his close control, short passing and ability to ghost past players. Surprisingly he has a very high tackling rate as well. Yet in front of goal most often he doesnt look like he can hit a cows ass with a banjo.

Very similar traits to Modric, do you think Modric should be an attacker in our side?

All of that suggests to me he is better in midfield, in the build up of attacking moves than ahead in the attacking areas where his lack of end product is exposed.

Also, to suggest playing him CM is not to suggest he wont have an impact in an attacking capacity.

His strongest attributes in my view have been his close control, short passing and ability to ghost past players. Surprisingly he has a very high tackling rate as well. Yet in front of goal most often he doesnt look like he can hit a cows ass with a banjo.

Very similar traits to Modric, do you think Modric should be an attacker in our side?

All of that suggests to me he is better in midfield, in the build up of attacking moves than ahead in the attacking areas where his lack of end product is exposed.

Also, to suggest playing him CM is not to suggest he wont have an impact in an attacking capacity.

This is a very accurate post.

If Dembele is our Modric replacement i'll be happy enough. I'd prefer Sahin but Dembele is still a very good player and he can also cover a few other positions which is a very big plus point.

You mention his strongest attributes but omit his dribbling skills and pace? Righto. He is nothing like Modric as a player or as 'movement' and just because one manager is forcing him into a position in order to accommodate other players on the field - does not mean it is the optimum thing to do

He should, imv - play in VdV's position and would thrive as a player of his ability.

Look how Sturridge's postion has been brainwashed into people's minds as a winger when in fact he's a striker/forward who's been forced to 'fall in line'. Yes, he might have some pace out wide but his best games have been upfront, imv

Last edited:
You mention his strongest attributes but omit his dribbling skills and pace? Righto. He is nothing like Modric as a player or as 'movement' and just because one manager is forcing him into a position in order to accommodate other players on the field - does not mean it is the optimum thing to do

He should, imv - play in VdV's position and would thrive as a player of his ability.

Look how Sturridge's postion has been brainwashed into people's minds as a winger when in fact he's a striker/forward who's been forced to 'fall in line'. Yes, he might have some pace out wide but his best games have been upfront, imv

“I like this position as well,” Mousa told fulhamfc.com. “I’m a player who wants to get the ball as much as possible so that’s why, for me, I hope I can do a good job for the team in that role.”

“I like this position as well,” Mousa told fulhamfc.com. “I’m a player who wants to get the ball as much as possible so that’s why, for me, I hope I can do a good job for the team in that role.”

Sorry, but what exactly is that supposed to prove - acceptance of his new role having been told elsewhere might be a little 'occupied'. It is a-contextual at best.

VdV feels the same way for example

Yep, that's how I see it. A Sandro/Dembele partnership would be strong but would still give us something going forward, unlike a Sandro/Parker combo where everything becomes a little disjointed between defence and attack. Having said that I'd still prefer Moutinho but if we can't afford him then what can you do.

Sorry, but what exactly is that supposed to prove - acceptance of his new role having been told elsewhere might be a little 'occupied'. It is a-contextual at best.

VdV feels the same way for example

What are you basing your opinion that he was forced into that position on?

Unlike Sturrdige, he seems happy enough to play there and in addition to that he has been getting good reviews playing there and playing there seems to fit his skill set quite well.

My referencing him ghosting past players is pointing to his dribbling skills. An attribute I have also noted in other posts.

Pace is neither here nor there, nice to have but not pre-requisite of either midfield or attacking roles.

IMO the way he moves and the way he operates in midfield is VERY similar to Modric. I ask again, should we promote Modric to the "VDV" role?

You see Jol FORCING him into a position. I see Jol UTILISING him to his best ability (which is in fact the optimum thing to do with any player). Dembele has had chances in attacking areas and never looked as complete as he does at CM IMO.

Ive seen him in attacking positions. Looks fantastic until it comes to actually producing, at which time he becomes a point of failure for the team (loss of possession, no goal, ball out of play...) Yet in CM his runnign and passing abilities set up the likes of Dempsey with personal best goalscoring seasons.

The whole Sturridge thing is a straw man. I am well aware he is a striker. I saw him at City and I saw him at Bolton and can see perfectly well the right wing/wing forward position isnt ideal for him. However, he still did a very decent job in that position.

Back