• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lol facially or playing style?!

playing style...both midgets, lighteweight, and they have that (hard to describe) flat footed way of running and taking on opponents

and yeah, they both have faces i wanna punch:)

His dribbling skills are phenomenal, granted - it's the end product however which is often questioned

but is it any worse than Modric? Who he'd ultimately be replacing? He's scored more goals than Moutinho has in the last 2 years who many of us want to replace Modric. I'm not saying Dembele is better than either two but he has potential.

From the deeper CM position Dembele finished the season in I think he is very close to a Modric replacement (possibly lacking the vision to switch play) and no where near VDV and Sigurdsson (who are similar to each other positionally)

honestly I remember him playing right behind the striker for most of the Fulham games I watched never saw him playing in a deep CM role he always seemed to get into scoring positions but was very poor in the final third. I would agree he might be a slightly better passer than Siggy and VDV but I really don't see how he is anywhere near a Modric replacement.

we will not get another Modric...Dembele and Moutinho are different to Modric and what he offers to a team

For the sake of argument, talking based on a 4-2-3-1, but same difference really if it's 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-3 variant.

Dembele has shown that he can work as part of a deeper duo in midfield and provide both some creativity, skill and passing and some good defensive work. It could very well be his best position. In addition to that he's done alright in a more advanced role, just behind a striker for example.

VdV has shown for Holland that against some teams he can play that deeper role, but it depends on the opposition and who he's playing next to and has ahead of him. It is not his best position as he's at his best when closer to goal and he struggles a bit with the defensive work.

Sigurdsson has to my knowledge never shown that he can play in that deeper role to good effect. What I have seen of him, like VdV he's at his best close to goal and that's where we (imo) should look to utilize him. He works hard so not really worried about the defensive side of things, but he wouldn't get to use his best attributes as often - his shooting, finishing, movement in and around the box and neat through balls in those positions. His passing isn't quite as tidy as Dembele and VdV imo and I'm not convinced about him being that deep playmaker either.

To me it makes perfect sense to bring in Dembele if Modric leaves. Would be a lot more affordable than Moutinho and he's already adjusted to life in the Premiership. That would leave us with a lot of money to strengthen other parts of the team. Like buying some of those whatdyoucallthem... streakers or somthing like that.

but is it any worse than Modric? Who he'd ultimately be replacing? He's scored more goals than Moutinho has in the last 2 years who many of us want to replace Modric. I'm not saying Dembele is better than either two but he has potential.

Modric' end product for me isn't 'goals' - he's a deep-lying playmaker who controls our tempo and rhythm while distributing play throught the field. Dembele's 'end product' would have to, at the very least match (and one day improve) that. However - past the fancy tricks and turns, there seems to be very little indicatin/ promise this could well be the case.

If anything - I believe Jol is utilising him far too defensively (due to Demspey perhaps) and he would thrive in a more advanced / attacking position. He is not a playmaker and never would be, imv - attacking mid/wide forward for me.

What on earth has Sig/VDV got to do with Dembele? Their playing styles are completely different. Neither of them have Dembele's dribbling skills for starters....

Without being rude, please read what I said. I said their positions are similar not their playing styles. All play either off the front man or as the attacking player from a 3 man CM. None are either CFs, wide men or CMs. Would be tough to get VdV and Sigurddson in the same team let alone all 3 of them!

Good player but not what we need

Last edited:
honestly I remember him playing right behind the striker for most of the Fulham games I watched never saw him playing in a deep CM role he always seemed to get into scoring positions but was very poor in the final third. I would agree he might be a slightly better passer than Siggy and VDV but I really don't see how he is anywhere near a Modric replacement.

Agree, with that - I remember seeing Dembele mainly used in the VdV role. Really not a natural replacement for Modric what I saw. Modric gets the ball and gives it, keeps the ball moving as you would want a deep lying playmaker to do

Sorry I watched quite a bit of Fulham but I really don't remember Dembele ever dropping that deep in midfield when I saw him they usually lined up one of two ways:

Dembele-----Pogbeyniak------Dempsey

Duff-------Murphy----Etuhu/Diarra---

or

--------------Dempsey-----------------

-------------Dembele----------------

Duff--------Murphy-----Diarra------Frei-

Without being rude, please read what I said. I said their positions are similar not their playing styles. All play either off the front man or as the attacking player from a 3 man CM. None are either CFs, wide men or CMs. Would be touch to get VdV and Sigurddson in the same team let alone all 3 of them!

Dembele could play in the middle 3 of a 4-3-3.....he can play deeper, i saw some tackling stats from last season and his were quite impressive

Without being rude, please read what I said. I said their positions are similar not their playing styles. All play either off the front man or as the attacking player from a 3 man CM. None are either CFs, wide men or CMs. Would be touch to get VdV and Sigurddson in the same team let alone all 3 of them!

According to this: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/12187/ and what I saw of him last season he played about as much in a central midfield role as an attacking midfielder.

From what I remember seeing at least some of those central midfield games were not as part of a 3 man central midfield where he was the most attacking player, but rather games where he was one of the deeper two.

From what I saw (and read) he started the season as a second striker/forward. Often played either side or behind the main man - much like previous seasons.

As you say though, he doesnt produce the goods in those positions enough.

Throughout the season Jol pushed him further and further back, with Dempsey taking the "behind the striker" role with relish.

In the final few months Dembele played alonsgside Murhpy in CM. Almost identikit to how Modric played alongside Huddlestone for us. He has fantastic ability to ghost past players/dribble, he excelled as the architect of their possession play and bossed many a midfield. He also had surprisingly impressive tackling statistics.

It is a role he played very well, in a very similar style to Modric. Including Modrics lack of end product when in dangerous positions in front of goal!

He was surprisingly good there. Prior to that period I could never decide if he was a genius or headless chicken, since being that position he has really come into his own. At the rumoured £10m-£15m he could be a steal

Dembele could play in the middle 3 of a 4-3-3.....he can play deeper, i saw some tackling stats from last season and his were quite impressive

How though would you get Dembele, bale, Lennon, VdV and Sigurdsson into a team? Based on AVB playing 4-2-3-1 in friendlies, I expect us to start hte season:

--------------def and GK--------------

--------Sandro-----[Modric/other]-----

--Lennon-------VdV-------------Bale

---------------Ade--------------------

I cant see how Sigurdsson gets into the team and, unless you play Dembele as one of a 2 man CM (which I dont think he'ssuited to), then he wouldnt either.

Would prefer to see us get a more like for like replacement for Modric if he leaves. Preferably Moutinho......

Going by that site, his "character" is like a carbon copy of Modric with finishing and crossing both being his weak points.

Back