• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of interest, can anyone find me the quotes from last season where Modric himself insists he needs to leave the club?
I never read those, I only read Harry's "his head isn't right" stuff and all the media garbage.
Same for this season, any quotes from Modric himself where he says he wants to leave?

I've heard something about quotes from a boat?

Modric told the Croatian newspaper, Sportske Novosti, that he had not considered the possibility of Spurs not allowing him to leave.

"I haven't thought about it at all because [not letting me go] would definitely not be good for anyone. I have already told the chairman that last summer he said we would find a mutually satisfactory agreement if a club like Chelsea came in.

"I hope that eventually he will understand the situation and that we will reach an agreement and go our separate ways in an appropriate manner."

Modric also revealed that in his meeting with the Spurs chairman Levy had said he was happy to let the midfielder spend the season rotting in the reserves if he did not honour his contract.

"A lot has been published in the press about the meeting with Levy, who gave the public a twisted account of what happened. I must say that I am genuinely disappointed about what Levy said to me. He didn't care about what I was telling him. It all only convinced me further that I was right to consider moving on to another club.

"I reminded the chairman of our gentleman's agreement when we were in Dubrovnik last summer and I agreed a contract extension with Tottenham. Then I had an open chat with Levy – that if a bigger club came in with a concrete offer, we would consider it and agree the best solution for all concerned.

"The chairman said, 'OK, we'll sit and talk [about any offers]'. Now Levy doesn't want to talk to me and said there is no possibility that I can leave Spurs.

"He threatened me – he said if I didn't accept the club's stance, they would make me sit on the bench or in the stands."

Think there were a couple of interviews in the Croatian press in which he said that he didn't want to play for Spurs, that he wanted to play for Chelsea and that Daniel Levy had gone back on his word.

I'd love to have seen Modric's agents scramblig around trying to engineer that move last summer, in conjunction with the Chelsea board.

'Start off with a low offer. They won't accept it but it will turn his head, and they'll defintely accept the next one'

'They've rejected the next one too. That Levy, you gotta hand it to him, he does like to play hard ball. Fine, let's go to 30 mil.'

'Brilliant, we've got hi.....hang on they rejected that too? He's saying he won't be sold at any price? We'll see about that. Feed some quotes to the press. Get The Sun to write a piece painting Levy as the devil holding back Luka's dream, that sort of thing. He'll have to cave eventually.'

'Still nothing? Fine, he can have it his way. We'll give him his money, but wait until deadline day so they can't replace him. That'll show the fudger to mess with us'.

1st September:

'...fudge.'

Think there were a couple of interviews in the Croatian press in which he said that he didn't want to play for Spurs, that he wanted to play for Chelsea and that Daniel Levy had gone back on his word.

I bet there was. And of course we all read it from the British press on our side, right? Read this, this is from July 7:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...ric-agrees-real-madrid-mov?xg_source=activity

This afternoon there has been an avalanche of stories saying that Luka Modric has agreed terms with Real Madrid and will complete a deal to the La Liga champions shortly. We do a daily (when there's enough material) feature called The Luka Modric Daily which explains where the rumours in the press originate but given all the stories this afternoon we thought we'd explain them separately.

Yesterday morning 24 Sata in Croatia ran a three paragraph story (the image to the left shows the whole thing) saying that they had a source close to the player, who didn't want to be named, claiming that personal terms had been agreed. It translated from Croatian into roughly this:

"Everything is resolved. Luka and Real Madrid are all agreed. A little bit hampered by Tottenham, but it will be resolved. And very quickly."

It was then picked up by AS in Spain, who correctly credited 24 Sata, and their translation from Croatian to Spanish and then to English is roughly this:

"Everything has been resolved satisfactorily. Luka and Madrid agree on everything. Has emerged a little more difficulty with the position of Tottenham, but everything will be solved. And besides, will be resolved quickly."

It then made its way to England with The Daily Mirror and they said, without crediting 24 Sata, that 'Sources close to Modric claimed the Croatian schemer has now agreed personal terms on a four-year deal with Jose Mourinho's La Liga champions.'

This is what they said the source said:

"Everything has been resolved satisfactorily. Luka and Madrid agree on everything. The only problem is the position of Tottenham, which has made things a little more difficult . But everything will be solved. And, more importantly, it will be resolved quickly."

There's a theme here isn't there?

So, a blind man in a dark cave could see there's nothing new in the quotes today, they just haven't been credited back to their original source. Unless the same Croatian read out a script to all the news outlets running the story.

The quotes, without crediting 24 Sata, are also being carried by many other outlets and whole scenarios are being built from the three paragraph story which originated in Croatia. There's not a lot of news from sources close to Luka Modric today, just quotes picked from yesterday's Croatian press.

What am I trying to say? I am trying to say that the ALLEGED quotes that the British press got from Modric are

1. Lost in 'translation'
2. Built up to the unrecognizable
3. Carefully tailored to suit their needs, e.g. adding words of more intent, demand and urgency as they 'translate' the interview than what was originally the case.

(jimmyb the rest of this is aimed at the general public, not you ;) )

Now, I am not in denial. I am prefectly aware that Modric wants to go to Real Madrid, as would most players you ask in this league. But the way some vocal few of our fans are accusing Luka Modric of so many crimes against this club for being wanted by one of the biggest clubs in the world is disgusting. Rat-faced, scheming, evil, little money-grabbing kitten, right? Will you call Bale a money-grabbing monkey when he is quoted in the Daily Mail for saying Barcelona would be nice to play for? Open your eyes, you are reading the British press. A press that is patting itself on the back for giving managers the sack, for replacing Prime Ministers at will, for hunting down every celebrity in the world. There is no reason to believe anything they write.

Until Luka Modric makes a tv-interview or a press conference in English where he states clearly that he refuses to play for the club (no longer wants to doesn't count, he is contract bound), that's when I'll join your mob. Until then, have a bit more salt with your newspaper.

BackPage. @BackPage

Real Madrid have accepted an offer of €4mil from Valencia for Fernando Gago

Had almost forgotten about him, a good distributor of the ball from deep. Like a cross between Hudd & Modric.

I'm guessing he has spectacularly lost form now though? I believe he cost Madrid 18m once.

On the day our Legend retires I read in the Standard that Adebayor is still refusing to sign a contract with us because we cannot offer him what he is being paid at Emirates Marketing Project, I think maybe we should move on

Which newspaper did you get this from?

Little Luka, i dont think there is much resentment towards Modric leaving this summer. Mainly because he will be going abroad and to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Plus we are without CL football again

last summer was a whole different story, he wanted to walk out on us and join our dirty London rival. Of course Spurs fans were never going to like or accept that

any frustrations that Spurs fans are feeling is related to the deal dragging on. Its best for everyone he goes asap and we get in a replacement.

personally i dont have resentment, people are allowed to WANT to leave...

am just wondering why it seems we need to question whether or not this guy said he wanted to leave...he did , simple as that really. not like someone who is eager to play is going to miss BIG CRUCIAL games cause his head is not right

personally i dont have resentment, people are allowed to WANT to leave...

am just wondering why it seems we need to question whether or not this guy said he wanted to leave...he did , simple as that really. not like someone who is eager to play is going to miss BIG CRUCIAL games cause his head is not right

I agree with this in principle.

it's the point at which some players start to bitch, moan and act up despite signing a contractual obligation for x years that it breaks down.

In reply to: "Tottenham are to bid for transfer listed Malaga midfielder Santi Cazorla, as a replacement for Luka Modric"

The original JJetset ‏@jetsetyid
@BackPage Wrong!

In reply to:
" wrong that we're bidding, or wrong that we consider him a Luka replacement ;-)"

The original JJetset ‏@jetsetyid
Both

Back