• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is this fascination with Gareth bale being a forward. He's a fudging left winger all the people whinging about him not staying on the left as its his best position then posting stupid teams and playing him as a forward? Really baffling

What is this fascination with Gareth bale being a forward. He's a fudging left winger all the people whinging about him not staying on the left as its his best position then posting stupid teams and playing him as a forward? Really baffling

Henry was a winger when he 1st started and progressed into an amazing CF, I think Bale could play up front too, he is strong, has pace can finish, head the ball

The issue with him coming inside/from the right is that the team wasnt set up to accommodate the movement. AVBs sides to date have been precisely the opposite, designed to create space inside for players like bale and then compensate for his roaming.

Roaming into the middle of a 4-4-2 or starting from the right he's not effective because he's supposed to provide, rather than be the outlet himself. And I mean provide in a different way that isn't suited to his strengths. If he's on the left of a 4-4-2 he can tear down the wing and whip the ball in. On the right he can't do that, in the middle he can't really do that.

But if he was on the left of the 3, or even the right of a 3, he'd be an outlet. We'd be looking at releasing Bale into space and letting him wreck havoc. I believe he could get 20 goals playing in that position.

Roaming into the middle of a 4-4-2 or starting from the right he's not effective because he's supposed to provide, rather than be the outlet himself. And I mean provide in a different way that isn't suited to his strengths. If he's on the left of a 4-4-2 he can tear down the wing and whip the ball in. On the right he can't do that, in the middle he can't really do that.

But if he was on the left of the 3, or even the right of a 3, he'd be an outlet. We'd be looking at releasing Bale into space and letting him wreck havoc. I believe he could get 20 goals playing in that position.

double hmmmmmmmmmm.........

Yes, there is a difference between being on the right of a 4-4-2 and of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Bale has already done well on the right of a 4-3-3 for Wales. Many young players move positions and they mature. There is also the idea that AVB really liked Hulk and then Sturridge cutting in onto their left from the right and that Bale might be used similarly.

Not as crazy as it sounds to some.

Don't agree?

no not that, if you'll remember i was the first person on here to suggest bale as a forward. literally, no one can take that nugget away from me

no the hmmmmmm's were becausei sensed another thread hijack if i mentioned it ...think a PM would be better (i have been stocking up a few of those topics)....but bale was alos played on the right even when VDV was playing off of Ade...granted that was a 4411 and not a 433....but in that 4411 formation he was still supposed to be used as an outlet.....for whatever reason it wa BALES movement that was crap from the right , his timing was wrong and his use of spatial awareness didnt look up to scratch...but then how come its now redknapps fault for doing what AVB 'might' end up doing?

the only thing that will change would be that bale would move better if taught right. no sure about how harry's employemnet of him on right has as much to do with it.

i think people might have pulled that one out of think air personally

Did he say that? I never saw the interview.

As it stands though it would be an exciting move - leaving only a striker lacking for a very good side

........................Friedel

Walker........Kaboul.........Vertonghen.....Ekotto
.................Sandro.........Modric
.......................Sigurdsson
..........Sturridge...................Bale
..........................?????????

Playing with Sigurdsson or Sturridge instead of vdV would be like boxing after voluntarily tying one hand behind your back.

Yes, there is a difference between being on the right of a 4-4-2 and of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Bale has already done well on the right of a 4-3-3 for Wales. Many young players move positions and they mature. There is also the idea that AVB really liked Hulk and then Sturridge cutting in onto their left from the right and that Bale might be used similarly.

Not as crazy as it sounds to some.

so when we played bale on the right with VDV behind ade....and people slaughtered harry for that....what was that all about?

Its part of the massive love-in on GG for Sigurdsson. Not saying that I dis-like him however I cant remember anyone wanting him about 2 or 3 months ago - now he's our saviour!

Not actually true, there were quite a few on here saying he's one we should go for or at least look at, which was then met by the phrase in my location by other posters.

Did he say that? I never saw the interview.

As it stands though it would be an exciting move - leaving only a striker lacking for a very good side

........................Friedel

Walker........Kaboul.........Vertonghen.....Ekotto
.................Sandro.........Modric
.......................Sigurdsson
..........Sturridge...................Bale
..........................?????????

why is Lennon being dropped in everyones proposed starting 11?

It'll be interesting to see what AVB does considering the options he already has in Lennon and Gio. IMO both could possibly thrive in that right side forward position. Sturridge however would be much like Verts in that he can effectively cover 2 positions (RW/CF and CB/LB respectively) extremely well without giving up to much in the team.

whats Sturridge likely to cost us?

no not that, if you'll remember i was the first person on here to suggest bale as a forward. literally, no one can take that nugget away from me

no the hmmmmmm's were becausei sensed another thread hijack if i mentioned it ...think a PM would be better (i have been stocking up a few of those topics)....but bale was alos played on the right even when VDV was playing off of Ade...granted that was a 4411 and not a 433....but in that 4411 formation he was still supposed to be used as an outlet.....for whatever reason it wa BALES movement that was crap from the right , his timing was wrong and his use of spatial awareness didnt look up to scratch...but then how come its now redknapps fault for doing what AVB 'might' end up doing?

the only thing that will change would be that bale would move better if taught right. no sure about how harry's employemnet of him on right has as much to do with it.

i think people might have pulled that one out of think air personally

Do you not suppose more preparation/organisation prior to the game would have helped the whole situation?

Playing with Sigurdsson or Sturridge instead of vdV would be like boxing after voluntarily tying one hand behind your back.

why is Lennon being dropped in everyones proposed starting 11?

It'll be interesting to see what AVB does considering the options he already has in Lennon and Gio. IMO both could possibly thrive in that right side forward position. Sturridge however would be much like Verts in that he can effectively cover 2 positions (RW/CF and CB/LB respectively) extremely well without giving up to much in the team.

whats Sturridge likely to cost us?

You should notice it is just an example based upon the link to Sturridge and the players we have brought. Not an indication of personal preference or anything like that.

id rather have Clint Dempsey than Sturridge, cannot believe we arent going in for him

Back