• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We needed Pienaar. We were in the CL and still in the hunt for a CL spot in the league, we needed some backup to Lennon and to some extent Bale as Harry doesn't seem to trust Kranjcar in big games, I don't blame him. He could also provide backup for VdV and possibly in central midfield in a 4-5-1. He was the kind of hard working utility player we needed, and he also seemed to have enough quality about him to make a difference. He was experienced, knew the league and was available for a fairly small fee.

We had to pay him as much as we did since he most likely already had solid wages at Everton and Chelsea were after him as well and they were probably offering him more than we did.

Harry played him plenty when we first signed him, didn't seem to be a player he had pushed onto him.

It just didn't work out, for whatever reasons.

Needed him? No, I certainly don't think we did.

He's not a winger - an attacking playmaker or central midfielder is a far better description. Plays as the latter for SA, have watched him countless of times. He most certainly isn't a like for like replacement for Lennon if that's what you seem to be suggesting. So if Arry genuinely bought him for that - I'd say it was a poor choice.

Moreover - he knew all to well we wanted Parker, in addition to already boasting Kranjcar, Huddlestone, Livermore, Sandro, Jenas (out on loan granted), Bentley and Gio with the last two offering like for like winger replacement

Even if we wanted him as a short term cover - why offer him a massive contract - instead we could have gone for a Gallas type of 2+1 type of deal, etc. since he was going to be nothing more than a squad player?

As to Arry playing him plenty? 8 games in total is what he managed, out of which only 6 were in the PL, irrc

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Harry's and clearly he is far more technically aware than me. But the one area of his management which I am in doubt of is squad rotation.

Best examples of this was the persistence to play Crouch, who should always have been retained as an option but not a starting strategy, every game. And look at the way our star man broke into the side.... It wasn't through resting the other left sided players, it was because Benoit got injured.

Pienaar should have been used to provide better competition for Bale and Lennon. Instead, like Niko, he had to wait until players in similar positions got injured. He came to WHL with the lure of being quality competition, but in fact he was just cover all along.

Don't understand why we are holding Everton to ransom over ?ú3m more than what we bought him for. Maybe got our eye on another of their gems (Rodwell, Fellani, Baines) and trying to boost the value of Pienaar ahead of any swap deal. Not a bad shout, and putting aside what we paid for him ?ú5m would seem about right for a player of his quality anyway.

Pienaar was a punt at the right price, sorry to the people who complain about Harry's squad policy on that one

- He looked like crap everytime he played for us (except for Milan away game where he was used as a workhorse)
- He fits in Everton's system, not ours

I can't see us asking for double the price back unless we really want one of their players ..

Redknapp wants a new contract, Levy was disappointed that talks stalled in February while the England job was on the agenda and is now in no rush to give him a new deal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-considering-Spurs-future.html#ixzz1wp87BUVg

Just about sums it up really. Not sure I buy into the "players waiting on the managers future before deciding their own" crap though

Redknapp hopeful on Vertonghen

I don't think it's quite finished yet, admits Tottenham boss

Last Updated: June 3, 2012 10:48am

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp believes the club are closing in on the signing of Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen.

The Belgian defender is on the verge of signing for Spurs after what has been a truncated process with Arsenal also reportedly interested in the player.

The 25-year-old recently suggested a deal was imminent, saying: "I think it could be very close now, maybe a couple of weeks or maybe days."

Vertonghen is primarily a centre-back but featured at left-back during Belgium's 1-0 friendly defeat to England at Wembley on Saturday.

And Redknapp has praised the player's versatility as well as revealing that the transfer should be tied up shortly.

"Jan is a terrific passer and versatile too," Redknapp told The Sun.

"He can play at the heart of defence but also plays every comfortable at left-back.

"I hope a deal is done but I don't think it's quite finished yet."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7793274/Redknapp-hopeful-on-Vertonghen

Sell him now for whatever we can get, look at him with his miserable face clearly contemplating his future. Who the hell does he think he is going on holiday during the close season, you don't see other footballers behaving like this. Ydon't need quotes when the source is from the Mirror, I challenge anyone to deny this is true.

I love how the article is written by SPORTSMAIL REPORTER - I guess the journalist is too ashamed to put their name to the article

I've almost given up on us making any good signings whilst Levy is still at the top of our club. He is pushing for every penny, wants the other club to budge but doesn't appear to be keen to do so himself. Clubs will start to refuse to deal with us as they learn of our money pinching ways.

I should state the obvious that all the above is my perception and might not always, or ever, be true. No slant is intended towards Levy and spills more from my frustration at our inability, as a club, to conclude signings as quickly as I would like.

Are you suggesting we havent made good signings under Levy then?

We have but I question how many others we've missed out on & the difference those potential signings could have made. We'll never know for sure but perhaps, if we had signed good players in January, that would have helped us to third, not fourth this season and if so, those signings would have ultimately paid for themselves.

If the manager had raised his game we could have had the same result.

I appreciate the frustration on Levys way of operating, but its Levys way of operating that has built the club up this far.

Have to take the cons with the pros IMO

Back