• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

I am sure Levy and AVB spoke about Verts but as the player said in his interview the club had courted him for some time prior to that. AVB might have accepted his signing but the continuity is clear to see.

Dont forget though - the key to that is having condensed play into their half/last third of the pitch.

How athletic is Vertonghen? Sigurdsson isnt typically athletic.

Players being linked with moves? Hudd, a loan with intent to return - not athletic. Defoe and Lennon = Athletic.

It doesnt stack up IMO.

Against WBA how essential was athleticism? We pressed them easily because they had no room to work with as we were camped on top of them - that was the key - not athletism IMO.

Yes I agree with this. You can over emphasise the need for athletic players. Barca is full of stumpy midgets but are among the best pressers of the ball out there. I'd hardly describe them as speed merchants either, though that helps I'm sure. They adhere to their own rules and system on how to close the ball down and it works a charm. In my opinion it is more about closing down options and that is learned on the training ground.

Duncan Castles‏@DuncanCastles

Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Tottenham pursuing France forward Loic Remy

I am sure Levy and AVB spoke about Verts but as the player said in his interview the club had courted him for some time prior to that. AVB might have accepted his signing but the continuity is clear to see.

You're sure Levy and AVB spoke about Verts, but AVB might have accepted his signing?

"Oh, hey Andre welcome, nice to see you. Remeber that 10m signing we talked about that you didn't accept? Yeah, I just signed him. Anyway, here's your office..."

Stoke have bid for Charlie Adam. Never has one player and one club been more suited to each other.

Yes I agree with this. You can over emphasise the need for athletic players. Barca is full of stumpy midgets but are among the best pressers of the ball out there. I'd hardly describe them as speed merchants either, though that helps I'm sure. They adhere to their own rules and system on how to close the ball down and it works a charm. In my opinion it is more about closing down options and that is learned on the training ground.

Indeed. Of course athletism helps, but it is far from essential.

It goes back to the striker arguments "they need to be quick" "No they dont, Teddy had 3 yards in his head..."

Like anything with football intelligence can succeed, strategy can succeed as can brute force. There isnt one right answer.

Barca run their arses off and defend on mass from the front, you don't necessarily have to be quick to be athletic but it can help

I heard this too. Either way, why let a player strengthen a rival to get him up to speed? He is better off being at Spurs and the player himself already says he is fully fit. So clearly something awry.

Stoke, a rival?
Setting sights a little low there perhaps.

You're sure Levy and AVB spoke about Verts, but AVB might have accepted his signing?

"Oh, hey Andre welcome, nice to see you. Remeber that 10m signing we talked about that you didn't accept? Yeah, I just signed him. Anyway, here's your office..."

Nice. You overstate the distinction, but for the future I shall be more accurate in my use of modal verbs. My point was there is continuity in terms of targets (pre/post Harry), and that clearly AVB accepted his signing because he came to the club, if he had not wanted him I doubt Levy would have started things like that!! My point is we can over simplify how certain signings are labelled. Verts was an AVB signing if purely based on the fact that he came whilst he was the manager, but like Ade (who was negotiating to come prior to AVB) there is more to transfers than black or white categorisation.

Stoke have bid for Charlie Adam. Never has one player and one club been more suited to each other.

Great minds and all that..

18th August 2012, 09:44
Lily White

Stoke have joined Everton in the hunt for Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam, 26.

Stoke and Charlie Adam........what a perfect fit.

Great minds and all that..

18th August 2012, 09:44
Lily White

Stoke have joined Everton in the hunt for Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam, 26.

Stoke and Charlie Adam........what a perfect fit.

I'd shudder even more when we visit the Britannia. We'd be lucky to leave with only 2 semi-serious injuries

Back