• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Sorry dude, I just noticed a typo in my earlier post:

I said:

"Notice I did mention that we need to sign "superstars" or "big names" :)

To which you replied

Which is why I was trying to clarify my point, what with this coming off the back of a Bale discussion. I thought that we were, at least partially, likely to be in agreement.

What I meant to say was that "I DID NOT mention that we need to sign "superstars" or "big names".

If you read me earlier posts in this discussion I have not suggested we sign these type of players, all I said is we need to improve our team if we are to win the league and I stand by that 100%

As a whole I don’t see anyone saying we shouldn’t replace outgoing players with younger versions. But to have a genuine world class player in his prime, would make a difference. These players have won things, as good as Dele, Kane et al are they don’t have this experience and experience is massive. It doesnt have to be Bale, but just that someone would help us whilst still keeping that pool of youngsters....
A player doesn't need to have won something to meet this criterion. What he needs is the insatiable desire to win and drag his teammates with him. Get a Michael Jordan type player (and I'm using him as an example, because I consider him to be the ultimate example of this), even if he is at the early stages of his career. And he doesn't even need to be as talented, as long as he has the Jordan attitude. Someone who will give everyone a right gonading, apart from Poch, if they give anything short of 110%.

Bale definitely doesn't fit this profile. And I honestly don't know who does. There are so few of them. But that kind of player would be a catalyst. And absent him, we'll just have to follow the path so many other teams have: assemble good quality and provide it the platform to evolve, which is exactly what we're doing.

Sorry dude, I just noticed a typo in my earlier post:

I said:

"Notice I did mention that we need to sign "superstars" or "big names" :)

To which you replied

What I meant to say was that "I DID NOT mention that we need to sign "superstars" or "big names".

If you read me earlier posts in this discussion I have not suggested we sign these type of players, all I said is we need to improve our team if we are to win the league and I stand by that 400%

I think I understood what you were saying. I'd agree that improving the team would increase our chances of winning the league but worse teams than us have won it very recently and we could win it with our current squad, with a fair wind.

I'm not against but I can't see us being able to afford a signing like that unless they had injury or discipline issues that reduced their value. I'd also argue that we already have a world class player in his prime in Kane, with Eriksen not far behind.
I’m not arguing about the quality of the players we have but they haven’t really won anything. Acquiring a player of Bales stature (not necessarily Bale himself) could make them stand taller and really believe when we have brought in someone who has been there and done it, it could help? I’m just speculating but this type of player could be the final nudge we need....

I’m not arguing about the quality of the players we have but they haven’t really won anything. Acquiring a player of Bales stature (not necessarily Bale himself) could make them stand taller and really believe when we have brought in someone who has been there and done it, it could help? I’m just speculating but this type of player could be the final nudge we need....

Stature or ability?

I don't buy into the needing to have won things, to know how to win things argument. Our squad appears to be close knit and are maturing together, which is of massive value in itself. A fit Bale would be an asset but I am not convinced that a VdV or David's type signing would get many games for us. With Bale, we are unlikely to be able to match offers he could get elsewhere, so it could only really happen if he chose us out of sentiment.

Cups are a lottery, leagues are about sustained form. If we can start a season well and sustain it, we have as much chance as anyone in the league. Let's hope that our cup luck is good next Saturday, we have a good chance of finishing the season with a cup and Champions League football, which should keep everyone happy.

Stature or ability?

I don't buy into the needing to have won things, to know how to win things argument. Our squad appears to be close knit and are maturing together, which is of massive value in itself. A fit Bale would be an asset but I am not convinced that a VdV or David's type signing would get many games for us. With Bale, we are unlikely to be able to match offers he could get elsewhere, so it could only really happen if he chose us out of sentiment.

Cups are a lottery, leagues are about sustained form. If we can start a season well and sustain it, we have as much chance as anyone in the league. Let's hope that our cup luck is good next Saturday, we have a good chance of finishing the season with a cup and Champions League football, which should keep everyone happy.
Well both really, I thought having Davids really helped the players. But fair enough, if we could start a season well that would be great but it must be ridiculously hard physically to maintain our send half of season form for a whole season - especially with having a lot of youngsters who are going to be inconsistent to some extent...

They already had the proven world class players who have one big things in the game though. Who do we have? I’m not saying we need a massive influx of these players, but one could be a massive influence....
But the same proven players failed last season...

It’s the young unproven ones that have added the spark

But the same proven players failed last season...

It’s the young unproven ones that have added the spark
They aren’t going to win the league title every year, no one does in this country. They needed to freshen things up in the wide areas with younger players and they did that - they still kept an experienced core....

Agreed[/QUOTE]
Stature or ability?

Where we are ability is the most important thing to me. There are a lot of players out there that have the stature and experience but are on the downward curve. They would probably cost really big bucks, also unlike when we got the likes of Davids and Naybet they will not be walking into our line up.

Sure Bale has both but when our highest paid player is on around £100K a week that could be a problem. If Bale goes to Man Utd at the very least he will get the £350K a week that Sanchez is on.

I would rather go for players with ability even if they do not have the experience.

Besides Hugo, Jan and Eriksen are experienced, while Kane is an "old head"

They aren’t going to win the league title every year, no one does in this country. They needed to freshen things up in the wide areas with younger players and they did that - they still kept an experienced core....

They haven’t competed for the title for 2 years with the experienced players

Changing the team for younger players has made all the difference

They haven’t competed for the title for 2 years with the experienced players

Changing the team for younger players has made all the difference
Yes but like I say they already have that core of top quality players who have won the big prizes. It’s about the right mix. You seldom see a team just with young talented players win titles, they all have at least a couple of players who have been there and done it in that team....

Well both really, I thought having Davids really helped the players. ...

Naybet had a similar impact, but look at the team he came into. Completely different time, wasnt it?

I completely understand the idea that having an absolute matchwinner in the side makes a difference. Someone who you know can turn a game in a moment of brilliance.

Then, as I think about it. Thats Kane, isnt it? And its Eriksen. And Son. And Alli...

Not saying they are Bale levels of excellence, but that they are those players you look too. And are on their way to that level (not all will make it of course).

Should we strengthen? Absolutely. Always.

Do we NEED a Bale type? Well, actually, I dont think so. Maybe it'd be nice, but its not essential.

And then, of course, the idea that we can buy in someone of that level is pretty silly in the first place, its a non starter when you look at the finances.

Honestly cant say Ive seen him play.

Looked at Youtube when we were linked before, at Valencia he looked like a player we would be interested in (if its even the right player Im thinking of!) but that was some time ago, so it could be a gamble...

With Southampton currently leading, Palace are now in the bottom 3. I actually want Palace to stay up but I for one would love us to sigh Zaha, I think Poch could do a lot with his talent and ability, really bring out the best in him

Naybet had a similar impact, but look at the team he came into. Completely different time, wasnt it?

I completely understand the idea that having an absolute matchwinner in the side makes a difference. Someone who you know can turn a game in a moment of brilliance.

Then, as I think about it. Thats Kane, isnt it? And its Eriksen. And Son. And Alli...

Not saying they are Bale levels of excellence, but that they are those players you look too. And are on their way to that level (not all will make it of course).

Should we strengthen? Absolutely. Always.

Do we NEED a Bale type? Well, actually, I dont think so. Maybe it'd be nice, but its not essential.

And then, of course, the idea that we can buy in someone of that level is pretty silly in the first place, its a non starter when you look at the finances.
Yeah I just feel like it’s the one missing piece of the jigsaw - someone of around 28 years of age who’s got the experience of winning titles. Doesn’t have to be someone in the AM position that costs around 100m plus, and hopefully moving into new stadium we could begin to afford this type of player now and again. Could be a DM/CB whatever - just that added bit of knowhow who’s been there and done it all and is operating at the top of his game. That would compliment what we have perfectly with everything else we have for me....

Honestly cant say Ive seen him play.

Looked at Youtube when we were linked before, at Valencia he looked like a player we would be interested in (if its even the right player Im thinking of!) but that was some time ago, so it could be a gamble...

I was so relieved when he allegedly turned us down in the summer.

With Southampton currently leading Palace are in the bottom 3. I actually want Palace to stay up but I for one would love us to sigh Zaha, I think Poch could do a lot with his talent and ability, really bring out the best in him
I’d also like us to go for Bertrand if Rose is leaving who apparently is going to leave Southampton whether they stay up or not....

Back