• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Said it before, there is actually quality gaps developing in squad

Top tier - Lloris, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane - nobody on this list we could afford an upgrade on, or likely to attract a better level player.
Mid+ - Dier, Wanyama, Lamela, Sanchez & Lucas (Sanchez & Lucas, maybe even Lamela have an argument to be in top tier, first two likely by start of next season) - All contribute, all good players with promise of more, not likely useful return on trying to upgrade

Mid tier - Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Rose (this year's version), Sissoko, Winks, Aurier - all could/should be upgraded (just not all at once)

Lower tier - GKN, Janssen, Llorente, CCV, Onamah - move on, none have or will significantly contribute to 5+ games a season.

Purposely left out Foyth, KWP, Edwards as it's too early to call on any, with Foyth having the most promise.

I think you build your strategy on the above, plus the two weakness areas the squad has -> cover for Eriksen & Kane.
Late to reply to this.

I agree there's a quality gap, but it's not one that's been developing. We've had that for a long time, but now we have more players in that top tier than before when we had between one and a handful of to players. I would also say our quality gap isn't any greater than what we see at our competitors. You list 9 top tier players, with several looking like they could step up to that level.

I find your categorization of Winks in particular rather strange, but also CCV and Onomah. Winks is 22, two years older than Foyth and KWP, and Winks has proven a lot more. Onomah and CCV are 20, like Foyth and KWP, only a year older than Edwards.

Davies for me had been mid+ this season and at 24 he's so fairly young and should be expected to improve. I would also categorize Trippier as mid+ this season, he's been better than both Aurier and Sissoko by some distance I would argue.

The main issues facing us is the uncertainty with Alderweireld (will he stay) and Dembele (injuries) along with trying to predict the development of the younger players mentioned.

Late to reply to this.

I agree there's a quality gap, but it's not one that's been developing. We've had that for a long time, but now we have more players in that top tier than before when we had between one and a handful of to players. I would also say our quality gap isn't any greater than what we see at our competitors. You list 9 top tier players, with several looking like they could step up to that level.

I find your categorization of Winks in particular rather strange, but also CCV and Onomah. Winks is 22, two years older than Foyth and KWP, and Winks has proven a lot more. Onomah and CCV are 20, like Foyth and KWP, only a year older than Edwards.

Davies for me had been mid+ this season and at 24 he's so fairly young and should be expected to improve. I would also categorize Trippier as mid+ this season, he's been better than both Aurier and Sissoko by some distance I would argue.

The main issues facing us is the uncertainty with Alderweireld (will he stay) and Dembele (injuries) along with trying to predict the development of the younger players mentioned.

The reason I point out the quality gap is it brings clarity to where/how we can upgrade e.g. last year -> Lloris, Rose, Toby, Jan, Walker, Dier/Dembele, Wanyama, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Kane - Very hard to pick an upgrade slot there, this year due Walker sale, Toby issues, its a little different.

I'll go into my categorizations

- Davies & Trippier are mid tier players, in top form they seem a little better, but they really are at their ceilings. My biggest issue with both of them is they lack intelligence (people are going to hate me for this opinion). Two areas drive me crazy with them - Trippier is one of the best first time crossers in the league, yet he will go multiple games where we break out and instead of hitting the cross, he literally (he fudging drives me nuts with this brick) stands on the ball, waits a few seconds, the opposition gets back in shape, then he passes the ball back into midfield, over and fudging over. Davies is best when he makes late runs into the box anticipating the deep cross from other side (got him a few goals end of last season, early this), yet he goes entire games without doing it. Second thing with both of them is recently watching Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Lucas, Dele pass the ball around, extremely intelligent movement, and I feel Trippier/Davies are a step behind. Just to repeat, I'm not saying they are brick, but easily the weakest links in side.

- CCV & Onomah, really no comment, neither of these guys are going to make it, low level PL players, they both looked better a year or two ago than today. Sure I'll get hate, but that's my call.

- Winks, I like Winks, last season's Winks and the guy that played at Madrid has a ton of promise. He's been poor (really poor) since injury return, can't seem to get over injury and I just don't see how he gets 10 games next season (midfield of Dembele, Dier, Wanyama, Son, Lucas, Dele, Lamela, Eriksen), especially as I think we will get one more midfielder over summer. He needs games to develop, he's not going to get them here.

- Foyth gets played every opportunity we seem to be able to, kid got almost all domestic cup games and some CL, says Poch's opinion. KWP & Edwards still have a lot of proving to do, but the hype is still there (think it has died with other two).

I always look at him as one of those "what could have been" players.

If we got him the first time, when he was in form and developing, with Pochs input etc I think he could be a Mane type by now.

Instead, well it speaks for itself

The reason I point out the quality gap is it brings clarity to where/how we can upgrade e.g. last year -> Lloris, Rose, Toby, Jan, Walker, Dier/Dembele, Wanyama, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Kane - Very hard to pick an upgrade slot there, this year due Walker sale, Toby issues, its a little different.

I'll go into my categorizations

- Davies & Trippier are mid tier players, in top form they seem a little better, but they really are at their ceilings. My biggest issue with both of them is they lack intelligence (people are going to hate me for this opinion). Two areas drive me crazy with them - Trippier is one of the best first time crossers in the league, yet he will go multiple games where we break out and instead of hitting the cross, he literally (he fudging drives me nuts with this brick) stands on the ball, waits a few seconds, the opposition gets back in shape, then he passes the ball back into midfield, over and fudging over. Davies is best when he makes late runs into the box anticipating the deep cross from other side (got him a few goals end of last season, early this), yet he goes entire games without doing it. Second thing with both of them is recently watching Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Lucas, Dele pass the ball around, extremely intelligent movement, and I feel Trippier/Davies are a step behind. Just to repeat, I'm not saying they are brick, but easily the weakest links in side.

- CCV & Onomah, really no comment, neither of these guys are going to make it, low level PL players, they both looked better a year or two ago than today. Sure I'll get hate, but that's my call.

- Winks, I like Winks, last season's Winks and the guy that played at Madrid has a ton of promise. He's been poor (really poor) since injury return, can't seem to get over injury and I just don't see how he gets 10 games next season (midfield of Dembele, Dier, Wanyama, Son, Lucas, Dele, Lamela, Eriksen), especially as I think we will get one more midfielder over summer. He needs games to develop, he's not going to get them here.

- Foyth gets played every opportunity we seem to be able to, kid got almost all domestic cup games and some CL, says Poch's opinion. KWP & Edwards still have a lot of proving to do, but the hype is still there (think it has died with other two).
Disagree on Davies hitting his ceiling. I see no reason why he can't keep improving like other similar full backs have in the past.

One of the things I like about Trippier is that he looks up and tries to pick out a cross. For me when he waits on the ball and plays it short it's mainly because there wasn't a good cross on and he judged the better option to be keeping possession. Players swinging aimless crosses into the box without a cross actually being on irks me much more. He doesn't get every decision right, but most of the time I think he does.

Winks, I disagree. He's been poor when given a chance, but it seems pretty clear that he quite simply hasn't been fully fit. I see no reason why he can't return to his form shown earlier this season, and I see no reason to think he can't improve on that given his age and talent.

Onomah and CCV. You might very well be right. I just think it's too early to give up on these players at this point.

Disagree on Davies hitting his ceiling. I see no reason why he can't keep improving like other similar full backs have in the past.

One of the things I like about Trippier is that he looks up and tries to pick out a cross. For me when he waits on the ball and plays it short it's mainly because there wasn't a good cross on and he judged the better option to be keeping possession. Players swinging aimless crosses into the box without a cross actually being on irks me much more. He doesn't get every decision right, but most of the time I think he does.

Winks, I disagree. He's been poor when given a chance, but it seems pretty clear that he quite simply hasn't been fully fit. I see no reason why he can't return to his form shown earlier this season, and I see no reason to think he can't improve on that given his age and talent.

Onomah and CCV. You might very well be right. I just think it's too early to give up on these players at this point.

It's all opinion, no right or wrong.

Davies for me is at his ceiling because he has no weapon, not quick, not great at beating his man, not a crosser (like Trippier), his game is about minimizing mistakes and playing smart.

Understand what you said about Trippier, but go look at his last few games (or the majority this season), sometimes it is better to put the occasional early/unexpected ball in, defenders don't like it and can even cause own goals.

Next season, who would you play Winks in front of?

It's all opinion, no right or wrong.

Davies for me is at his ceiling because he has no weapon, not quick, not great at beating his man, not a crosser (like Trippier), his game is about minimizing mistakes and playing smart.

Understand what you said about Trippier, but go look at his last few games (or the majority this season), sometimes it is better to put the occasional early/unexpected ball in, defenders don't like it and can even cause own goals.

Next season, who would you play Winks in front of?

Davies reminds me a lot of Dennis Irwin

And I could see winks playing ahead of Dembele

Back