• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting Eleven 24/25 Season

SpurMeUp

Les Howe
Right, flimflam Euros are finally out the way. Ange probably doesn't know his first 11 yet, but I have a feeling you do. Who makes the grade?

Im not sure if any of Romero, Bentancur or van de Ven will make the first week because of their international committments/now needing a legally mandated 3-4 week break. But ignoring that, id reckon

‐‐---‐------------Vicario
Porro----Romero----vdV---Udogie
‐-‐---------Sarr-----Bissouma
---‐--------------Maddison
Johnson-----Richarlison-----Son

No one we sign in the next 5 weeks is going to be influencing the starting 11 for a month or so. So its just a Biss vs Bentancur and a Johnson vs Kulu call

Im not sure if any of Romero, Bentancur or van de Ven will make the first week because of their international committments/now needing a legally mandated 3-4 week break. But ignoring that, id reckon

‐‐---‐------------Vicario
Porro----Romero----vdV---Udogie
‐-‐---------Sarr-----Bissouma
---‐--------------Maddison
Johnson-----Richarlison-----Son

No one we sign in the next 5 weeks is going to be influencing the starting 11 for a month or so. So its just a Biss vs Bentancur and a Johnson vs Kulu call

They're entitled to have three consecutive weeks off, but they can come back earlier if they want to. Mudryk is already back for Chelsea and I'm sure others are as well.

They're entitled to have three consecutive weeks off, but they can come back earlier if they want to. Mudryk is already back for Chelsea and I'm sure others are as well.

It will kill their bodies later in the season though if they do that. We seem to have recognised this and gave our WC knockout player those extra weeks last time round.

The Copa is almost done as well, plenty of time for them to be back in training before the season starts.

It will kill their bodies later in the season though if they do that. We seem to have recognised this and gave our WC knockout player those extra weeks last time round.

Regarding this thread, I think the aim this season is to not have a first XI. We'll need rotation to last the whole season. If we go deep in any cup it should come down to form/tactical tweaks.

The Copa is almost done as well, plenty of time for them to be back in training before the season starts.

Season starts in 4/5 weeks. Romero still has the final to play, Bentancur finished yesterday, vdV in midweek. They'll have 3 weeks off. Then they'll start pre-season. So they'll be about 3/4 weeks behind the rest, and not really ready for the first few weeks of the season.

Season starts in 4/5 weeks. Romero still has the final to play, Bentancur finished yesterday, vdV in midweek. They'll have 3 weeks off. Then they'll start pre-season. So they'll be about 3/4 weeks behind the rest, and not really ready for the first few weeks of the season.

They shouldn't need as much fitness work as those that have had the summer off.

Romero can rest during his suspensions, VDV when him hamstring next goes because we keep leaving him one on one on recovery.

Bentancur wouldn't be anywhere near my starting eleven right now, he was garbage on the run on.

They will miss the tour and be back for the final pre season game Vs Bayern.

We will need to get moving in the transfer window now if we want to see any changes in the starting 11 from last season.

At the moment

Vicario
Porro Romero VDV Udogie
Bissouma
Sarr Maddison
Johnson Richalison Son

Vicario
Poro Dragusin VDV Udogie

Sarr Bantancur

Kulu Maddison Son

New CF​

If anyone’s place in the back four is under threat it should be Udogie IMO. Not overly impressed with him in the second half of the season, lazy tracking back. I’d consider VDV LB and Dragusin CB.

Agree we need a new CF. Hope we get at least two forwards in this window but I doubt it.

i think we must expect son to start slowing down this season. so the others in attack must step up and pick up the slack.
possibly johnson.

On the negatives, i think kulu has reached his ceiling and maddison hasn't convince me he can deliver consistent results for a full season (even if he avoids injury).

so, upgrades in CF role is very important.

If anyone’s place in the back four is under threat it should be Udogie IMO. Not overly impressed with him in the second half of the season, lazy tracking back. I’d consider VDV LB and Dragusin CB.

Agree we need a new CF. Hope we get at least two forwards in this window but I doubt it.

If Romero is still here, how about:

Poro Dragusin VDV Udogie
Romero Gray
Johnson Bergavall Son
Richarlison

I'd love to see something like this with Romero screening and starting attacks. Gray could be rotated for Romero in this role by some accounts. People have compared him to playing like Rice. Then you'd give license to the attackers and FB to go and score.

I agree Udogie failed to deliver on his huge early promise toward the back end of the season. But the whole team did. Still by far the most promising player for LB. I'd defo consider rotating with Skipp (or VDV). Would anyone pay for Davies? A loyal pro, happy to keep him, but can't see him getting many games at LB, he might cover CB, but his lack of height and pace can be an issue.

VdV is the wrong type of fullback for our system - he is orthodox, not inverted. He might be better at RB?

Regarding this thread, I think the aim this season is to not have a first XI. We'll need rotation to last the whole season. If we go deep in any cup it should come down to form/tactical tweaks.
This is true, I hope you're right and we get there. It's also true that when the bigger games roll around we'll see a team made up of more or less what Ange will see as our strongest 11. I think a conversation around what that team will be is worth having.

For a 21 year old having his first season at the club and in this league he did brilliantly imo. Having no real options for him probably hurt him as much as it did us in the second half of the season. And even though he wasn't as good as he was in the first half of the season the drop off to Davies and then Royal was clear as day.

Back