• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

We simply have to finish in the Top 3.

For the last 2 months my target for us has always been to at least finish 4th. Tonight that has just changed. Its all about finishing at least 3rd now.

It's happening again. Seville are decent but I think Liverpool will go and win the Europa now. While one of Citys biggest obstacles has fallen in the CL in Barcelona, they are just as capable of beating both Madrids, just leaving Bayern Munich.
If its a Bayern Munich v City final whoever finishes 4th might as well get ready for Thursday night football, so it better not be us!

I am a Chelsea fan this weekend!

That makes no sense....surely we need Emirates Marketing Project to secure 4th in the league don't we?

I'm concerned about this so I've contacted both the FA and UEFA, I've had it confirmed that should the CL and the EL be won by two PL teams who finish outside the top 4 they will both have a CL spot and the remaining slots (capped at 5) will go to three of the top 4. Due to the unique situation there is a unique qualifying metric to filter 4 to 3, it won't be based on final league position, this season the places will be awarded to the teams with the fewest T's in their name.

I'm concerned about this so I've contacted both the FA and UEFA, I've had it confirmed that should the CL and the EL be won by two PL teams who finish outside the top 4 they will both have a CL spot and the remaining slots (capped at 5) will go to three of the top 4. Due to the unique situation there is a unique qualifying metric to filter 4 to 3, it won't be based on final league position, this season the places will be awarded to the teams with the fewest T's in their name.

You REALLY had me there until the end lol:p

So, no surprise there, then. And no news.

As from recent seasons, CL winner will be upgraded to qualifying CL if necessary (how we lost CL when Chelski won). This replacing fourth CL nominee (4th in PL).

From this season EL winner upgraded to qualifying CL. This replacing EL nominee.

For some while I've seen it as having to secure 3rd ..... until Euro bits are out of the realms of possibility.

Not so sure myself on how it goes should we only have 3 CL places anyway, but it'll be in the rules detailed elsewhere. Not happening for a year or two if at all, so I just can't be arsed to go into it.

PS - thread title change to "Struggle for 3rd" ?.

I think the next 7 days of PL matches are crucial and WILL decide the top 4/5 imo. Lots of rearranged midweek games next week; let's hope we win at Stoke and then can get the popcorn out and watch the scraps below us with interest!

Regarding Leicester's game vs West Ham: I read/listened to something interesting somewhere in the last few days re West Ham's game and tactics with Arsenal. It was said that West Ham despite playing very well in the first half vs Arsenal, they were being picked off at will at the back constantly because they were playing a back 3 and this was playing into Arsenal's hands. It was said that it was force of will by them and esp Andy Carroll (not to mention Arsenal's niavity) to haul them in at half-time on level terms and then Bilic recognised the error of his initial set-up and changed back to a back 4 (bringing off Tomkins for Emenike).
I'm sure i also heard/read that this was a set-up they started vs Us but that whilst it just about worked vs us in the end there was no way it was going to work on Saturday vs the scum. Luckily for the Spammers, Bilic is a proactive coach who can see things going wrong on the pitch and react to rectify issues.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Also regarding Leicester, it was noticeable from TV highlights vs Sunderland (and esp from the radio commentary) that many of their players look knackered, due to the way they are set up, i.e. not have lots of posession but sit deep and dogged before running like a pack of wolves on the break.
I wonder if West Ham will be able to tap into any deep reserves and really have a go at them; shame they played on Wednesday (they looked knackered in that game at times imo).
Bilic will at least fancy the tactical struggle.
Oh well, one can only hope.

If West Ham score first, we have hope.

I don't think Leicester have won this season if they concede first.

WBA 2-2
Liverpool 0-1
Us 1-1
Southampton 2-2
Bournemouth 1-1
Stoke 2-2

EDIT: Actually that is a load of gonads. They have won against WBA 3-2 and Villa 3-2 after conceded first

We have no hope.

Last edited:
Also regarding Leicester, it was noticeable from TV highlights vs Sunderland (and esp from the radio commentary) that many of their players look knackered, due to the way they are set up, i.e. not have lots of posession but sit deep and dogged before running like a pack of wolves on the break.
I wonder if West Ham will be able to tap into any deep reserves and really have a go at them; shame they played on Wednesday (they looked knackered in that game at times imo).
Bilic will at least fancy the tactical struggle.
Oh well, one can only hope.
Vardy certainly looked shattered at times on Sunday and mahrez was dreadful so that could also be put down to fatigue.
One thing bilic will do is have West Ham run Leicester, they can't afford to slack if they want EL. Pool are right behind them and the boost from last night could see them go on a run.

Vardy certainly looked shattered at times on Sunday and mahrez was dreadful so that could also be put down to fatigue.
One thing bilic will do is have West Ham run Leicester, they can't afford to slack if they want EL. Pool are right behind them and the boost from last night could see them go on a run.

Ahh, but would West Ham actually want EL though?

So, no surprise there, then. And no news.

As from recent seasons, CL winner will be upgraded to qualifying CL if necessary (how we lost CL when Chelski won). This replacing fourth CL nominee (4th in PL).

From this season EL winner upgraded to qualifying CL. This replacing EL nominee.

For some while I've seen it as having to secure 3rd ..... until Euro bits are out of the realms of possibility.
No, no, no.

The way I understand it, we have the following scenarios:

1. English teams do not win CL or EL. Top 4 get CL.

2. English team wins CL, finishes in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

3. English team wins EL, finishes in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

4. English teams win CL and EL, both finish in top 4. Top 4 get CL.

5. English team wins CL, finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

6. English team wins EL, finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

7. English teams win CL and EL, ONE finishes outside top 4. All 5 teams get CL.

8. English teams win CL and EL, BOTH finish outside top 4. Top 3 + CL winner + EL winner get CL.

It's just that last scenario that we have to worry about.

I think it's a hard maximum of 5 CL teams per league. So if we only had 3 CL places through the league, and English teams won both CL and EL, all 5 teams would get a CL place.

In which games did we hit the inside of both posts, with the ball rolling all the way across the goal - before being cleared? Would those "goals" have made any difference to our points total?

Ahh, but would West Ham actually want EL though?
That's the rub isn't it, we don't know.
They threw it last year because bilic want time with the squad, but this year if they don't finish high enough to qualify it might seem like a poor season after all the good work.
Just need to wait and see I suppose.

Back