• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

What is the deadline for a player to sign to be able to play in a Saturday 3pm kick-off?

Not heard any news regarding N'jye's work permit and Kane's fitness. I just cant believe we are going into another weekend with this striker situation

What is the deadline for a player to sign to be able to play in a Saturday 3pm kick-off?

Not heard any news regarding N'jye's work permit and Kane's fitness. I just cant believe we are going into another weekend with this striker situation

I can

and i think it will be the same for the Everton game in over a weeks time

IMO in today's market Berahino is worth the £25 million that West Brom are apparently demanding. He is only 21, works hard on the pitch, has two good feet, pace, skill, movement, is an excellent finisher and has proven that he can play in the PL. If we get him for under £25M then we have got a bargain. If we pay the full £25 million then we haven't overpaid at all. Let's face it we got £10 million for Soldado, who was a 30 year old flop!

But that's 14% of our turnover. A huge financial risk. Our market isn't the same as the doped clubs.

But that's 14% of our turnover. A huge financial risk. Our market isn't the same as the doped clubs.

This time next year with the new tv contract prices will be even more inflationary and he will even more expensive. If it were Spurs selling would you accept £15m?

Obviously the guy who wrote that article might be a really crap analyst. But if so, then so are most of the others because it seems to agree with everything I've been reading. I watched the West Brom / Emirates Marketing Project match and despite City comprehensively outplaying West Brom, Berahino was one of the best players on the pitch.

I don't know - ultimately - how you "value" a player. £1m or £10m or £50m - sometimes it all seems very arbitrary to me. But based on the fees we've already seen paid this summer, I'm afraid Berahino is comfortably worth £25m. I only hope we can afford that, because if I was West Brom I don't think I'd take a penny less.

I totally agree with you and therein lies the rub. Levy has had since the end of the season to sort this out. If he really wants it to happen he needs to offer the money or move on to a more affordable player because I see no reason why WBA should sell the jewel in their crown for a price that suits us.

Levy seems to think that if he leaves things late he will always get a good deal. Sure that might happen when a team is desperate to sell but WBA do not have to sell this summer

I wish the window would close before the start of the season. Seriously, who does it benefit keeping it open for the first few games?

IMO in today's market Berahino is worth the £25 million that West Brom are apparently demanding. He is only 21, works hard on the pitch, has two good feet, pace, skill, movement, is an excellent finisher and has proven that he can play in the PL. If we get him for under £25M then we have got a bargain. If we pay the full £25 million then we haven't overpaid at all. Let's face it we got £10 million for Soldado, who was a 30 year old flop!

Absolutely. Andy Carroll went for £35m! Berahino has far more upside than he did. You have to be willing to pay extra for premier league proven strikers.

I totally agree with you and therein lies the rub. Levy has had since the end of the season to sort this out. If he really wants it to happen he needs to offer the money or move on to a more affordable player because I see no reason why WBA should sell the jewel in their crown for a price that suits us.

Levy seems to think that if he leaves things late he will always get a good deal. Sure that might happen when a team is desperate to sell but WBA do not have to sell this summer

No basis for that comment.

Not sure that is the case here. Btw WBA seem to be wanting fazio on the cheap. Hopefully we can make him part of berahino hid.

You have a point about it being a large portion of our turnover (excluding player trading) but you have to remember that the player wouldn't suddenly be worth nothing even if he failed at Spurs. Remember that even one of the worst strikers ever to play for Tottenham Hotspur was still sold for £10 million this Summer, despite being 30 years old and on a wage far larger than Berahino is on now or will be on at Spurs. We currently are somewhere around £20 million up on player trading this Summer. We have also dropped our wage bill by a considerable amount since last season.

If we cannot push to somewhere close to £25 million for Berahino (I think West Brom would agree to £23 million) then there is something wrong at the club. If the manager wants him then in this instance I think Levy has to push the boat out. The player ticks a lot of boxes in terms of his attributes and while no player is ever a sure thing I think Berahino is as close as a club like us are going to get....

Is he a home grown player? Yes
Can we afford his wages? Yes
Does he have pace? Yes
Does he have strength on the ball? Yes
Is he a good finisher? Yes
Does he have a good touch? Yes
Is he a good passer of the ball? Yes
Does he work hard? Yes
Does he have confidence? Yes
Is he proven in the Premier League? Yes
Can he play across multiple attacking positions? Yes
Can he play with Harry Kane? Yes (proven for England u21s)
Does he have good resale potential? Yes

If we can pay £12 million for N'Jie (who doesn't tick a fair few of these boxes) then we should be able to stretch to twice that for Berahino considering we have transfer funds available and lots and lots of room on the wage bill for him.

You have a point about it being a large portion of our turnover (excluding player trading) but you have to remember that the player wouldn't suddenly be worth nothing even if he failed at Spurs. Remember that even one of the worst strikers ever to play for Tottenham Hotspur was still sold for £10 million this Summer, despite being 30 years old and on a wage far larger than Berahino is on now or will be on at Spurs. We currently are somewhere around £20 million up on player trading this Summer. We have also dropped our wage bill by a considerable amount since last season.

If we cannot push to somewhere close to £25 million for Berahino (I think West Brom would agree to £23 million) then there is something wrong at the club. If the manager wants him then in this instance I think Levy has to push the boat out. The player ticks a lot of boxes in terms of his attributes and while no player is ever a sure thing I think Berahino is as close as a club like us are going to get....

Is he a home grown player? Yes
Can we afford his wages? Yes
Does he have pace? Yes
Does he have strength on the ball? Yes
Is he a good finisher? Yes
Does he have a good touch? Yes
Is he a good passer of the ball? Yes
Does he work hard? Yes
Does he have confidence? Yes
Is he proven in the Premier League? Yes
Can he play across multiple attacking positions? Yes
Can he play with Harry Kane? Yes (proven for England u21s)
Does he have good resale potential? Yes

If we can pay £12 million for N'Jie (who doesn't tick a fair few of these boxes) then we should be able to stretch to twice that for Berahino considering we have transfer funds available and lots and lots of room on the wage bill for him.

I agree with all of that in saying that we should be able to afford Berahino. There's nothing to suggest that Levy is not "pushing the boat out" though. If anything, we have concrete proof that he is doing just that and that we will get a deal done. When is dependent on WBA mostly, not us. It is a complete seller's market.

Roy said Kane is fit

I agree with all of that in saying that we should be able to afford Berahino. There's nothing to suggest that Levy is not "pushing the boat out" though. If anything, we have concrete proof that he is doing just that and that we will get a deal done. When is dependent on WBA mostly, not us. It is a complete seller's market.
I've never insinuated that Levy is not pushing the boat out. My response was to GB who was stating that it was 14% of our turnover.

My only disappointment with Levy is that the first bid should've gone in for the player earlier this summer. I guess Levy wanted to wait until he was certain that Soldado's £80 odd grand a week wages were coming off of the wage bill first, but I wonder whether that has already cost us a couple of points against Stoke?

I've never insinuated that Levy is not pushing the boat out. My response was to GB who was stating that it was 14% of our turnover.

My only disappointment with Levy is that the first bid should've gone in for the player earlier this summer. I guess Levy wanted to wait until he was certain that Soldado's £80 odd grand a week wages were coming off of the wage bill first, but I wonder whether that has already cost us a couple of points against Stoke?

Sorry for insinuating that you were :).

It could be. But equally it could be that a better target was being persued. Berahino is a good player, and a lot of clubs in the EPL have gone abroad for signings as they are proving better value. Who's not to say that we have not been doing the same.

The higher WBA push up the Berahino price the more we have to think how it effects our other transfer targets...if they want 10m over what we had budgeted for them that might eat in to our CM money, also 25m could potentially get us Austin and Yarmalenko.

It's easy just to say get it done pay the price, but there's more going on than just buying Berahino

Sorry for insinuating that you were :).

It could be. But equally it could be that a better target was being persued. Berahino is a good player, and a lot of clubs in the EPL have gone abroad for signings as they are proving better value. Who's not to say that we have not been doing the same.
I wonder who that better player was? I cannot think of any better players available (or at least available for a price that we would pay?) It was clear that we wanted Martial earlier this Summer (a player that Berahino has a superior scoring record to at international youth level by the way) but Martial signed a new deal at Monaco early in the summer.

The higher WBA push up the Berahino price the more we have to think how it effects our other transfer targets...if they want 10m over what we had budgeted for them that might eat in to our CM money, also 25m could potentially get us Austin and Yarmalenko.

It's easy just to say get it done pay the price, but there's more going on than just buying Berahino

Re: Yarmolenko.... Do we want another RWF? If so then I would've thought we could sell either Lamela or Townsend and have buy Yarmolenko with change left over.

Re: Yarmolenko.... Do we want another RWF? If so then I would've thought we could sell either Lamela or Townsend and have buy Yarmolenko with change left over.

It was just an example really to show the higher the price goes for Berahino the more we could potentially do with the money.

Back