• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Priorities

IMO, that would be terrible. I don't like Liverpool but I was embarressed on their behalf at seeing their lineup against Real away to focus on the Chel53a game. I watch games on Flightless cormorants or tv but other fans are paying a lot of hard earned money to support our team abroad and they should expect at least a strong team.

im not suggesting we send out our second string to take a hiding and i don't think we'd have to do that to ensure our main focus is having a good league season.

what do you think would have been more beneficial to the club in 10/11; finishing 4th and re qualifying for the CL, whilst having a less impressive run in the tournament - or bowing out as we did in the quarters and coming up short at the tail end of the league season?

not saying it was an 'either or situation' that season but given the choice, looking back given those options what do you think would have been the better option?

personally i think it's much more 'small time' to treat the competition as a once in a life time event to the detriment of your league placings and long term ambition as a club. (again, not saying that is what we done in 10/11)

League Cup has to be #1, really good chance, short term target

PL should just be Europa League position (5th-7th) until a month or two out.

Europa

FA last, evaluate based on draw on who's left in competition.

im not suggesting we send out our second string to take a hiding and i don't think you'd have to do that to ensure our main focus is having a good league season

This is surely the Arsenal model, doing enough to compete in the league but also doing well enough in the CL to not do too badly. Perhaps with the end result being to sacrifice success at both but at the same time paying the bills. Considering we have a new stadium to pay for, it is not too easy to say its so wrong but the unrealistic fan in me wants it all :).

1. League - Bread and butter and always will be.

2. League Cup - We are in the Semis now and realistically should reach the final.

3. Europa - Crap competition, but it gets you in the CL. I don't think we have any realisitic chance of winning it so I have put it below the first two.

4. FA Cup - Pains me to put this 4th in the list, but at the moment, all of the top teams are still in it and given our tendancy to blow it in the semis, I can't see us winning it either. I would love to win the FA Cup above the League Cup though, it's been far too long since we have won it. 6 semi finals defeats on the trot is just not good enough.

Last edited:
This is surely the Arsenal model, doing enough to compete in the league but also doing well enough in the CL to not do too badly. Perhaps with the end result being to sacrifice success at both but at the same time paying the bills. Considering we have a new stadium to pay for, it is not too easy to say its so wrong but the unrealistic fan in me wants it all :).

id say there's probably a happy medium between the two approaches - build ourselves in to a regular participant in the competition first and foremost and then from there we can have a crack at winning the thing. (and by that i mean afford ourselves the switch in focus between league and CL)

2. League Cup - We are in the Semis now and realistically should reach the final.

3. Europa - Crap competition, but it gets you in the CL. I don't think we have any realisitc chance of winning it so I have put it below the first two.

4. FA Cup - Pains me to put this 4th in the list, but at the moment, all of the top teams are still in it and given our tendancy to blow it in the semsi, I can't see us winning it either. I would love to win the FA Cup above the League Cup though, it's been far too long since we have won it. 6 semi finals defeats on the trot is just not good enough.

Why not? How many teams left are better than Spurs?

Why not? How many teams left are better than Spurs?

Roma
Napoli
Sevilla

Wouldn't want to play Liverpool or Everton. Not because I fear them, but European games against teams from your own country are basically just like two one off games or cup finals if you like, current form goes out the window.

I still don't think we can defend well enough to win any European competition.

Bar the top 2 the other positions are obtainable by whoever gels or hits form from the chasing pack. If Poch thinks that it is possible then we should make League a priority.

Then LC as it is the best chance of Wembley glory.

Then EL as once again the revenue of the CL does wonders for a club and can only help us progress.

And no disrespect to the FA cup but it comes last right now. If we get to the QF then of course it becomes more of a priority.

If offered a 5-3 win over Chel53a in the league or in the LC final at the beginning of the season what would you have taken?

I think I would take the guaranteed trophy. Although a 5-3 win in the league at Stamford Bridge would have been tastier.

We need trophies. We remember the iconic wins, but there are iconic photos too of the double team on the open top bus, a hoddle with the 82 cup, Ledley and Keano with the league cup.

Now is a good time for a new one :)

To have a settled match day squad of 16-18 players all knowing pochs system and their part in it. Anything after that this season is a bonus. I'm very wary of over achievement and all the hype and pressure it will bring. Every 5th -10th place team that does even slightly better than expected tends to implode the next season. Slow and steady, a cup within 2 years, top within 4 and regular top 4 with 6-8 years.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

3. Europa - Crap competition, but it gets you in the CL. I don't think we have any realisitic chance of winning it so I have put it below the first two.

4. FA Cup - Pains me to put this 4th in the list, but at the moment, all of the top teams are still in it and given our tendancy to blow it in the semis, I can't see us winning it either. I would love to win the FA Cup above the League Cup though, it's been far too long since we have won it. 6 semi finals defeats on the trot is just not good enough.

I agree with the league as the main priority as I think top 4 is there for the taking. Our fitness levels with reasonable rotation so far have shown that we have legs at a difficult point if the seasons hen others clearly haven't. I may however have a different opinion after the cup game tomo

The it's a league Cup due to our current position in it, then Europa again due to our progress so far and finally FA Cup as we haven't even played a game

League Cup. It's within touching distance and this young side winning a trophy would be huge in terms of the battles Poch has won in the dressing room within he club versus the confidence our young side would get from it.
My next focus would be the league. Yes, 4th is there for the taking (only if Levy backs Poch in this window) but I would be fine with 6th so long as the progress was maintained.
EL would be a big bonus.
FA Cup is a one-match-at-a-time thing. If we got knocked out I wouldn't be devastated, but if we got the the 6th round then you have to think about it.

But the League Cup is the one. Building a trophy-winning mentality is huge, and if we could do it with an average age of 22 in the side, that would set us up nicely for the following seasons.

Great thread.

League Cup has to be #1, really good chance, short term target

PL should just be Europa League position (5th-7th) until a month or two out.

Europa

FA last, evaluate based on draw on who's left in competition.

Are we brothers who were separated at birth? ;-)

To have a settled match day squad of 16-18 players all knowing pochs system and their part in it. Anything after that this season is a bonus. I'm very wary of over achievement and all the hype and pressure it will bring. Every 5th -10th place team that does even slightly better than expected tends to implode the next season. Slow and steady, a cup within 2 years, top within 4 and regular top 4 with 6-8 years.

Play the game Glasgow, it's only a bit of fun. Put the four competitions in order of priority [emoji3]

Clearly it has to be League Cup. Winning a trophy would be absolutely fantastic. We'd have European football in the bag for next season (always a huge priority in my eyes), and if we want to think of ourselves as a fairly big player regular silverware is a must. We should be aiming for at least a couple (maybe 2/3/4) per decade imo.

Then the league and the EL should have equal status. The league is obviously vital to the ambitions of any club, but to win the EL would be something very special. We are somewhat unfortunate that in England you have to get by some huge spending clubs to get to the CL. In which other country would the team finishing 6th domestically have a realistic shout at winning the CL? CL qualification is a tough nut to crack, and thus we find ourselves in the EL bracket.

Its been a constant source of disappointment for me that we have never done anything of note in the EL. We haven'T proven in any way shape or form that we are better or bigger than the likes of Sevilla, Fiorentina, Napoli etc (even Basel ffs) and we should have by now. We should have appeared in a few european semi finals over the past 10 years at least, and that would have continued adding to our reasonably proud European record. As it is, a couple of quarter final defeats was the best we could muster.

I couldn't imagine anything much more exciting than Spurs vs Roma in Warsaw EL final. Would be brilliant. Kicking off next season with a place in the CL and a Super Cup match against Real Madrid or Bayern München would be a different experience to playing Stevenage at our training ground, wouldn't it?

If I really had to then the LC, but only if we can beat Liverpool in the final, then the league. After that EL and FA cup but not at expense of league position.

Back