• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Priorities

I think writing off competitions is a bit dangerous, especially as Harry did with the EL, we have a decent squad to cope with the demands. The more games we get, the more chances players get to prove they have a future here which is also huge in building towards next season. Hopefully we'll get in to good winning positions where we can sub our top players early in games instead of risking games too much.

BTW, what is the story with winning the EL, does the spot from that come at the expense of whoever finishes 4th?

I really doubt anyone wants us to write off the FA-cup the way Redknapp did with the EL.

I agree that the players coming in (if there are any) should see it as a chance to prove themselves. Which hopefully means no players that either know they are leaving or know they are unwanted. Might be an interesting line-up if that assumption is true.

I'm almost certain the story is that the EL winner gets their own spot, not at anyone's expense.

I don't think getting into the CL does that much for us right now, we're a young side building for the long term.

Order LC > PL >= EL > FAC

Edit: Why is all-upper-case being vetoed unless you type something in mixed case before or afterward? I can't fuсking stand software second-guessing me.

Last edited:
I don't think getting into the CL does that much for us right now, we're a young side building for the long term.

kind of agree but CL football and the money/extra pull in the transfer as well as being able to hold on to our better players at the same time makes it impossible to turn down

i think the fact we've been in the EL with Pochettino this season is a good learning curve for him in how to handle the extra games and it wouldn't be a problem next season in the same way as it has for Rodgers and Liverpool.

kind of agree but CL football and the money/extra pull in the transfer as well as being able to hold on to our better players at the same time.

i think the fact we've been in the EL with Pochettino this season is a good learning curve for him in how to handle the extra games and it wouldn't be a problem next season in the same way as it has for Rodgers and Liverpool.

I think that just avoiding the Thursday/Sunday run of fixtures would be helpful.

I think writing off competitions is a bit dangerous, especially as Harry did with the EL, we have a decent squad to cope with the demands. The more games we get, the more chances players get to prove they have a future here which is also huge in building towards next season. Hopefully we'll get in to good winning positions where we can sub our top players early in games instead of risking games too much.

BTW, what is the story with winning the EL, does the spot from that come at the expense of whoever finishes 4th?

Everyone qualifies as you would hope now apart from the unlikely scenario of the CL winners AND the EL winners finishing outside of the top 4.

Eg top 3 City+Chelsea+United and....

Scenario 1 = Us fourth, Arsenal CL winners, both qualify
Scenario 2 = Arsenal fourth, Spurs EL winners, both qualify
Scenario 3 = Spurs fourth, Arsenal CL winners, Everton EL winners, fourth misses out

Ok, now I've put Spurs in that scenario it doesn't seem so unlikely now :(

Out of curiosity, why? It's a valid opinion to have, but I'd have imagined that perfecting a long-term style of play would be more beneficial to us (in a Klopp-Dortmund sort of way) than just momentary qualification to the CL (with all the attendant pressures that would bring).

you can do all that and be in it, its the biggest the competition there is, we need to get in, stay in it, expect to be in it, thats the next rung on the ladder towards Spurs domination of world football

kind of agree but CL football and the money/extra pull in the transfer as well as being able to hold on to our better players at the same time makes it impossible to turn down

As long as the focus is on the league games (qualifying again is more important than a glamour tie), CL should not be an issue. Even if we finish third in our group we still get another go.

just as good going away to the EL games Marky - in many ways i prefer it actually.

although the sense of occasion was unbelievable at the two i went to, going 2-0 up in our first CL game proper against Bremen was surreal to say the least

Looking at our current position I would go as follows:

League Cup
League top 4
Europa League
FA Cup

As it stands now, LC > PL >> EC >>>> FA.

We have a winnable semi final against Sheffield Utd and a good chance at a trophy that should be priority at this point.

We are also doing well in the league and should be aiming to at least be in the running for a top four finish come seasons end which is good for club stature and finances, although I don't expect us to get top 4 this season and would expect us to be around 5/7th.

Lets be honest that CL spot for winning the EL is a long shot at the very best, some very good sides have been given a free pass into the EL and I'd expect us to reach the last 8 at best.

Finally the F.A cup as much as I love it's history we're at the early stages of the competition, and if we are to push in the PL we can do without the extra games and possible replays given the amount of games this squad has already played in the first half of the season compared to our league rivals for top 4.

Last edited:
you can do all that and be in it, its the biggest the competition there is, we need to get in, stay in it, expect to be in it, thats the next rung on the ladder towards Spurs domination of world football

Again, perfectly reasonable, but I'm not so sure we can do both: at least, not now. Poch drilling his system into the lads precludes any tactical alterations to win big games (even against Chelsea, we never differed from our game plan, from minute one to minute ninety), and unfortunately, I think you need that sort of tactical variation to consistently win at the level you need to get into the CL.

Next season, sure: by then Poch will probably be comfortable enough with his players to experiment tactically while keeping the essential elements of his system. This season? Not so sure.

Again, perfectly reasonable, but I'm not so sure we can do both: at least, not now. Poch drilling his system into the lads precludes any tactical alterations to win big games (even against Chel53a, we never differed from our game plan, from minute one to minute ninety), and unfortunately, I think you need that sort of tactical variation to consistently win at the level you need to get into the CL.

Next season, sure: by then Poch will probably be comfortable enough with his players to experiment tactically while keeping the essential elements of his system. This season? Not so sure.

i think it'd work if we approached CL participation as a 'bonus' and kept our main focus on the league.

Everyone qualifies as you would hope now apart from the unlikely scenario of the CL winners AND the EL winners finishing outside of the top 4.

Eg top 3 City+Chelsea+United and....

Scenario 1 = Us fourth, Arsenal CL winners, both qualify
Scenario 2 = Arsenal fourth, Spurs EL winners, both qualify
Scenario 3 = Spurs fourth, Arsenal CL winners, Everton EL winners, fourth misses out

Ok, now I've put Spurs in that scenario it doesn't seem so unlikely now :(

:) The Spurs fan inside me always thinks of the worst possibility! But we have surely used up our bad luck after the Chelsea CL win disaster, haven't we.....8-[

The next game is the priorty ( one game at a time). However just to keep everyone happy I want to win something so finishing in the top four ( runners up) would be forth choice for me.

i think it'd work if we approached CL participation as a 'bonus' and kept our main focus on the league.

IMO, that would be terrible. I don't like Liverpool but I was embarressed on their behalf at seeing their lineup against Real away to focus on the Chelsea game. I watch games on streams or tv but other fans are paying a lot of hard earned money to support our team abroad and they should expect at least a strong team.

IMO, that would be terrible. I don't like Liverpool but I was embarressed on their behalf at seeing their lineup against Real away to focus on the Chelsea game. I watch games on streams or tv but other fans are paying a lot of hard earned money to support our team abroad and they should expect at least a strong team.

Well said =D>

Back