• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

At least we're scoring goals. I remember last year's preseason matches being pretty boring and uneventful, but that probably had more to do with the weather conditions.

I can't even find highlights to the Man U game.

At least we're scoring goals. I remember last year's preseason matches being pretty boring and uneventful, but that probably had more to do with the weather conditions.

I can't even find highlights to the Man U game.

[video=youtube;nhOUweUTA5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOUweUTA5s[/video]

Theres Anders performance

Holtby was doing the job asked of him by Pochettino.

Problem was the second half team as a whole being unable to execute the game plan. The pressing was as haphazard and lacking in intensity in the second half as it had been organised and ferocious in the first. And that meant that a player like Carroll was badly exposed playing a role to which he isn't ideally suited.

He was so out of position this guy http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/07/24/toronto-fc-vs-spurs-detailed-tactical-analysis/ thought we were playing "4-1-4-1/ 4-3-3 shape" in the second half.

Spurs-v-Toronto-FC-2nd-half-formation-tactics.png

I don't buy the idea Holtby has suddenly started following orders and isnt going walk about everywhere round the pitch just because he has a new manager.

Put it this way. In the two halfs in both games where Holtby hasnt been playing we have had an obvious 4231 shape. But when Holtby is on everyone is guessing at the formation.

Not sure you can blame Holtby for the mess of a second half

Positional discipline, when trying to cover for the FB and creating a fluid front line was too much for the Carroll/Falque/Ceballos/Townsend/Holtby setup, especially with Daws/Fryers behind them.

To me the second half showed that IF we play a young team for Europe/Cups, we need a DM and we probably need a midfielder with a bit more experience/calm than we currently have. Concerns me that we really don't have an experienced head in the middle of the field, even as a bench option.

Better quality squad?? Not only have they got their international stars back, but their players have mostly spent years working under Ferguson. They have already been coached by a winner who has driven them onward whilst playing a decent style of football. The team are responding to another Fergie type character

EDIT: Having just watched the highlight reel, nearly all their goals came on the counter. They did counter extremely well, getting bodies forward and picking the right pass.

Last edited:
Better quality squad?? Not only have they got their international stars back, but their players have mostly spent years working under Ferguson. They have already been coached by a winner who has driven them onward whilst playing a decent style of football. The team are responding to another Fergie type character

And LA Galaxy are total dross who played a team with very few starters in it.

He was so out of position this guy http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/07/24/toronto-fc-vs-spurs-detailed-tactical-analysis/ thought we were playing "4-1-4-1/ 4-3-3 shape" in the second half.

I don't buy the idea Holtby has suddenly started following orders and isnt going walk about everywhere round the pitch just because he has a new manager.

Put it this way. In the two halfs in both games where Holtby hasnt been playing we have had an obvious 4231 shape. But when Holtby is on everyone is guessing at the formation.

I don't get how Holtby was capable of playing multiple roles/positions successfully at Schalke and becoming Germany's u21 captain if he's not capable of following orders.

IMO Holtby did quite well last night. Energy, good passing and won the ball a lot of times - sometimes because he's got a good footballing brain, sometimes because he won a tackle. Possibly sometimes out of position, but nothiting a Capoue/Sandro (Schneiderlin) and a strong defence 4 wouldnt cope with.

I see you really have it in for Holtby. As for implying Holtby just walks about everywhere round the pitch, well that is simply without foundation and utter tosh to say the least

IMO Holtby did quite well last night. Energy, good passing and won the ball a lot of times - sometimes because he's got a good footballing brain, sometimes because he won a tackle. Possibly sometimes out of position, but nothiting a Capoue/Sandro (Schneiderlin) and a strong defence 4 wouldnt cope with.

Oh, sure. Helped surrender two goals to a bunch of no mark MLS-NASL-USL Pro players who cut through them like schit through a goose to score two lovely goals.

You could tell he had a very guilty conscience. After Townsend's goal, he didn't celebrate. Just ran in quickly, fished the ball out of the net and carried it back toward the centre circle.

Oh, sure. Helped surrender two goals to a bunch of no mark MLS-NASL-USL Pro players who cut through them like schit through a goose to score two lovely goals.

You could tell he had a very guilty conscience. After Townsend's goal, he didn't celebrate. Just ran in quickly, fished the ball out of the net and carried it back toward the centre circle.

So I guess the goals were all down to Holtby then? And I admire your ability to divine the emotional state of another human being from such a distance. I hope you use your super-powers for good and not evil.

This might be a novel idea, but I thought defenders were the main method used to prevent goals being scored.

wow he is good.

You think so? I'm not convinced. Most of his play there was constituted of simple passes. Plus, he overplayed a few passes and was afforded a LOT more time and space than he'll get in the competitive season. Maybe the best parts were at the end of the video but I didn't go past about 3 and a half minutes or so.

So I guess the goals were all down to Holtby then? And I admire your ability to divine the emotional state of another human being from such a distance. I hope you use your super-powers for good and not evil.

I was closer than just about anyone else in the park. I know what I saw. He was not pleased with proceedings. Did a good job staying out of Townsend's way on the winner.

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/sets/583658

You think so? I'm not convinced. Most of his play there was constituted of simple passes. Plus, he overplayed a few passes and was afforded a LOT more time and space than he'll get in the competitive season. Maybe the best parts were at the end of the video but I didn't go past about 3 and a half minutes or so.

i see situational awareness and very good anticipation, and considering that he just joined and playing in a new country and strangers taking instructions under a new coach ... says a lot of having the brains and instinct for a footballer. not sure if he will become a world beater from just one game, but he looks like a younger mata and can only get better.

Back