• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Predictions for new season

I believe if we had beaten Saudi Sportswashing Machine no one would have been talking about this collapse. But Saudi Sportswashing Machine was one game. One bloody game ffs. And the timing of it didn't help either. If it was the middle of the season, again no one would be talking about a collapse the way they are now.

Perspective, people! Last year's team was bloody good. And it's only going to get better this season.
I am delighted with the year taken as a whole and the outlook for this club going forward even if that post sounded overly negative. The way it all ended though left a sour taste in my mouth which no amounts of beer seems to wash away. I'll have to try again.

The Saudi Sportswashing Machine match was bad, really bad, but the other couple of matches leading up to it were not a whole lot better. The players had mentally checked out after the Chelsea match and that is the real source of my frustration. My attempts to compartmentalise this have obviously failed :(.

'Mentally checked out' it's catchy but what does it mean?

I do agree that something wasn't right mentally. Pressure told. Poch might have done a Raneri, denying we were fighting for the title, to take off the pressure, and focus on one game at a time. Or he might have focused on 'them and us', getting the team to feel like they are underdogs fighting to show what they can do. Both I think would have been better than an approach where we openly say we are fighting for the title.

We did show impressive levels of commitment during the Chelsea game. The aggression and passion were there. But it wasn't controlled. A Ferguson would get that level of intensity but ensure its controlled. A sprinkling of British aplomb was missing, we were too obvious, too in Chelsea's face. Ironically I do wonder whether Ferguson screwed us while meeting Poch at the Ivy, saying something to the effect, that Spurs need to re-assert their identity, not be a 'roll-over' club. And that is what the Chelsea game was about to many. In hindsight aggression without control wasn't the answer either. Hopefully the biggest lessons were learnt by Poch. A young team shouldn't feel like they are 'there', made it, or contenders at any point. It's distracting. Raneri knew that. He'd been there before...

Last edited:
My predictions

We will finish top 4 again
Arse will finish top 4 again
Neither side will win the league
City probably will as he is adding quality but still needs a defence
United will flatter to deceive
Chelsea will be boring
Wet Spam to struggle Playing in front of a crowd who actually don't care for them
Bournemouth to have a great start and be right up there and fall off a cliff at Christmas

with Zlatan you mean in a single game right?

I think United might be the team to set the D record, they were on track for that last season for a while

He'll get his 20 goals but do nothing in big games as per usual. And everyone will just cream themselves over the wonder goals he scores but ignore the fact that he goes missing when it really matters.

Barca a month before the end of last season and Juventus at the beginning of their season off the top of my head.

Barca had a rough patch for sure, but I don't recall them getting pumped 5-1 by a relegated side with 10 men and nothing to play for. And they still went on to win the double.

I really hope the players have got the last few games out of their system and it doesn't carry over in this season.

There will be a frustratingly preventable loss around December/January that I will go apesh*t about, to which certain other posters will reply with sneers about 'real' fans, to which I will subsequently angrily respond, at which point the mods will descend and cool it down. This will happen several more times in the season, and will translate into angry accusations of criminal negligence in transfer dealings and related rebuttals swiftly coming to Levy's aid as the season's transfer windows open and close. Finally, next July will see @par_18 start another thread about the predictions for 2017-2018.

Simultaneously, @Yoof will do good work on the youth thread, @Gazzasrightboot, @alekaras and @braineclipse will try to argue for sanity in a place where there is little, @Gutter Boy will advocate playing the U-15s over buying someone, @thfcsteff will exude positivity in the abyssal darkness that is every post-match thread after a loss, @billyiddo will look bemused at it all, @paxtonwolf will obligingly give us the matchday view, @parklane1 will complain at least once about computer games and how it was different in his day, @Rorschach, @Nigeyman, @Robspur12, @Jordinho, @DHSF, @galeforce, @Rossi22, @diego_maradona, @Modric THFC and many others will keep this place lively and informative....and @scaramanga will heroically try to keep it running.

Through this entire process, the team will, without paying heed to any of the above drama, play relatively steadily, rev up into top gear around February-March, suffer a horrible collapse of sorts at the end of a long, tiring season and finish exactly one spot behind Arsenal (be it in 2nd or in 17th), all of which is tradition.

And the band plays on..... :)

Last edited:
And you forgot to say that
DubaiSpur
will do his usual " War and Peace" and get his vodoo doll of Levy out of his pocket and start sticking the pins in at the first sight ( in his mind only) when we lose a game saying that once again Levy fails to buy the players he feels we should be and that he is penny pinching once again.

And i forgot he will put some obscure link to a even more obscure blog trying to back up his " War and Peace" rambles.

And you forgot to say that will do his usual " War and Peace" and get his vodoo doll of Levy out of his pocket and start sticking the pins in at the first sight ( in his mind only) when we lose a game saying that once again Levy fails to buy the players he feels we should be and that he is penny pinching once again.

And i forgot he will put some obscure link to a even more obscure blog trying to back up his " War and Peace" rambles.

The predicted activities of the poster known as DubaiSpur take up the entirety of the first paragraph, chap. No hiding behind 'War and Peace' rambles here, I can tell you. ;)

The predicted activities of the poster known as DubaiSpur take up the entirety of the first paragraph, chap. No hiding behind 'War and Peace' rambles here, I can tell you. ;)

Well i guess you are right about one thing at least, it was not as long as you usual " War and Peace " rambles :p

'Mentally checked out' it's catchy but what does that mean?
I thought after the 'prize' had eluded us a fair portion of the players lost their focus. The effort and concentration levels dropped and what was a cohesive unit became rather disjointed. A couple of key absentees really hurt us namely Dembele and Alli, and the distraction of the Euros probably didn't help either, but after the Chelsea match something in the players mentality had changed.

Well i guess you are right about one thing at least, it was not as long as you usual " War and Peace " rambles :p

Well, some posters seem to like my posts at least, but I guess you can't please everyone. Maybe next time I'll add a summary at the end for those with shorter attention spans - "transfer spending, ambition, progress, backing the manager, blah blah blah. tl;dr - Levy's a tight git". :)

Well, some posters seem to like my posts at least, but I guess you can't please everyone. Maybe next time I'll add a summary at the end for those with shorter attention spans - "transfer spending, ambition, progress, backing the manager, blah blah blah. tl;dr - Levy's a tight git". :)
" blah blah blah - Levy's a tight git"
....that should do it ;)

You would soon get bored with that, even if others would not ;)

You would soon get bored with that, even if others would not ;)

Undoubtedly true. Anyway, just figured it would be a good idea to get everyone's pet routines and (in some cases) neuroses here on GG into the open so we could chuckle about 'em before the season gets underway and we all (inevitably, without fail, 100%, guaranteed) fall into the exact same patterns come the first game of the season. :)

I have said before that the supporters have an important role to play during the game. Scara and his logic will not agree with this but maybe I have seen more games than him and witnessed it too often with us going under especially at home!
I am critical with our home fans ..thats why sometimes we play better away with fans that care more and get behind the Team!
Now then, we have part of WHL demolished. I think this will have an even more detrimental affect than last season. 1 from unfortunately poor supporters and 2 having a hole in the shelf side to make matters worse.
We have hopefully strengthened the squad . If the players can play with the same confidence as last season you would think we still have a chance of winning the Prem or at least get in the CL again.
The thing is can our players really find the so called new Tottenham that some were calling us last season or will we be good old sexy who will allways let you down.

If we found that confidence we would have a chance. I think the fans have to believe as well.
Anyway...Come on you Spurs....:D

There will be a frustratingly preventable loss around December/January that I will go apesh*t about, to which certain other posters will reply with sneers about 'real' fans, to which I will subsequently angrily respond, at which point the mods will descend and cool it down. This will happen several more times in the season, and will translate into angry accusations of criminal negligence in transfer dealings and related rebuttals swiftly coming to Levy's aid as the season's transfer windows open and close. Finally, next July will see @par_18 start another thread about the predictions for 2017-2018.

Simultaneously, @Yoof will do good work on the youth thread, @Gazzasrightboot, @alekaras and @braineclipse will try to argue for sanity in a place where there is little, @Gutter Boy will advocate playing the U-15s over buying someone, @thfcsteff will exude positivity in the abyssal darkness that is every post-match thread after a loss, @billyiddo will look bemused at it all, @paxtonwolf will obligingly give us the matchday view, @parklane1 will complain at least once about computer games and how it was different in his day, @Rorschach, @Nigeyman, @Robspur12, @Jordinho, @DHSF, @galeforce, @Rossi22, @diego_maradona, @Modric THFC and many others will keep this place lively and informative....and @scaramanga will heroically try to keep it running.

Through this entire process, the team will, without paying heed to any of the above drama, play relatively steadily, rev up into top gear around February-March, suffer a horrible collapse of sorts at the end of a long, tiring season and finish exactly one spot behind Arsenal (be it in 2nd or in 17th), all of which is tradition.

And the band plays on..... :)
you have been getting fresh with mystic meg again havent you? All pretty much nailed on to happen.

Let's get on with some proper predictions then.

Premier League champions: Emirates Marketing Project

Champions League qualification: Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United

FA Cup: Manchester United

EFL Cup: Emirates Marketing Project

Europa League qualification: Chelsea, Liverpool, Southampton

Relegated teams: Burnley, Hull, Bournemouth

Promoted teams: Norwich, Ipswich, Forest

Player of the year: Kane

Young player: Sane

Flop signing of the year: Mane

Top scorer: Aguero

Manager of the Year: Guardiola

European Football

Champions League: Barcelona

Europa League: Sevilla

La Liga: Barcelona

Serie A: Juventus

Bundesliga: Bayern

Ligue 1: PSG

EPL challenge for the title and finishing 3rd and no trophies is fine with me, given that we will be distracted with the UCL that we will be unlikely to win but expect the boys to be fully focused on.

League: Zlatan

Champions League qualification: United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal

FA Cup: Zlatan

EFL Cup: Zlatan

Europa League qualification: Spurs, Liverpool, Stoke

Relegated teams: Leicester, West Ham, Burnley

Player of the year: Zlatan

Young player: Zlatan

Flop signing of the year: Xhaka

Top scorer: Zlatan

Manager of the Year: Jose

European Football