• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2013

Despite all this talk we are going to play 4-3-3 this season, we have played the same system as last season in both Hong Kong games.

IF we are going to play 4-3-3 then there are three different midfield roles. Anchor role (whether purely defensive or creative), the all rounder is a central midfielder who breaks up attacks over the pitch and can also create but usually starts deeper and the third one is the box to box will be attacking, one or both of goalscoring, and creative.

Anchor Role : Sandro, Parker Huddlestone, Livermore
Centre Mid: Dembele, Parker, Carroll, Livermore
Box to Box : Paulinho, Sigurdsson, Holtby

Those are the players vying for each of those roles. Only when players are injured (or the opposition considerably weaker) will you see two of those box to box midfielder start in the central areas in a game at the same time. More likely you'll see one of them start wide but Sigurdsson and Holtby are unlikely ever to play the anchor or centre mid roles.

I think our players are more versatile than that though. Paulinho, Dembele and Holtby in particular can play any of the three roles. All six of our CMs are both technical and hardworking, a combination which isn't always common. Carroll's size and Siggy's defensive quality are probably the only limiting factors in preventing them from being completely interchangable.

I'm writing off Parker, Huddlestone and possibly Livermore, as I'm sure 2/3, if not all 3, will be sold very shortly. Parker and Livermore lack ability with the ball for an AVB midfield and Huddlestone lacks without it. They don't really fit AVB's new total football midfield.

Dembele is just so elegant. Love him.

Not today though. He looked like he's continuing his 2nd half of the season form, rather than his great 1st half last autumn.

Despite all this talk we are going to play 4-3-3 this season, we have played the same system as last season in both Hong Kong games.

I'd assume that's because we don't have Paulinho, Chadli and (Soldado) - all players clearly bought for that formation. Some of our exisiting player like Lennon and Defoe however don't suit it at all.

Last edited:
I think our players are more versatile than that though. Paulinho, Dembele and Holtby in particular can play any of the three roles. All six of our CMs are both technical and hardworking, a combination which isn't always common. Carroll's size and Siggy's defensive quality are probably the only limiting factors in preventing them from being completely interchangable.

I'm writing off Parker, Huddlestone and possibly Livermore, as I'm sure 2/3, if not all 3, will be sold very shortly. Parker and Livermore lack ability with the ball for an AVB midfield and Huddlestone lacks without it. They don't really fit AVB's new total football midfield.

I think you're over estimating their versatility.

The unknown quantity for me is Paulinho. I know little about him other than what I've seen now in a few clips and that AVB has said he is a box to box player. He could well play central midfield and then you could play him, an anchor player and one of Siggy or Holtby in front of them.

whats up with Holtby? How come he hasn't played any minutes yet? Because of the tournament he had in the summer?

Didn't see the game but just saw the highlights, looked comfortable as we should against a team of that stature.

So Sigurdsson played the furthest of a three man midfield? I've always thought he should play there and if he played good today then I reckon our midfield could be good next year, Instead of Dembele/Paulinho/Sandro as we first thought, I wonder if it'd be one of Dembele/Paulinho, then Sigurdsson all infront of Sandro?

Can anyone tell me how clubs are picked for this competition? I assumed it was a bit of negotiating and a bit of rotating, but I seem to remember a commentator saying in the first game "each of the sides had earnt the right to be there"

IIRC its very random - the PL select the three 3 teams who occupy certain positions in the league at a random date i.e. it was the teams who were say 2nd, 5th and 11th on the 31st March. I know the PL were sweating as to Sunderland's outcome at the end of the season.

Though i agree none will feature much if at all for avb as they are not his sort of players i can not see us selling them as levy always holds out for to much money, they will go on frees at the end of their contracts.

Scotty was great today but if AVB has him as 1st choice I will be amazed and confused. Therefore he will be sold. I will put Mumorn's balls on the line I am that confident.

Jake looked interested today but Caulker didn't and disappointed me today. He may be a surprise sell for us this summer.

I like Hudd because he gives us a different option

Didn't see the game but just saw the highlights, looked comfortable as we should against a team of that stature.

So Sigurdsson played the furthest of a three man midfield? I've always thought he should play there and if he played good today then I reckon our midfield could be good next year, Instead of Dembele/Paulinho/Sandro as we first thought, I wonder if it'd be one of Dembele/Paulinho, then Sigurdsson all infront of Sandro?
Sigurdsson actually played mainly on the left, but occasionaly swapped posisitions with Dempsey, who was playing behind Defoe, in the first half.

Great to get the winning feeling again after being winless in the pre-season so far. Even if it was against a shyte South China team, it was nice to get a big win. South China made us look like Brazil at times with their shyte defending but we played well and should have scored a few more goals.

Nice to see Defoe getting a hattrick but he also wasted 2 or 3 other chances. Hope it will boost his confidence for the next season. Credit to Dempsey and Townsend for their goals as well. But was annoyed when Dempsey wasted that one-on-one chance which he should have done better instead of blasting over. It was a good freekick from Townsend for our 6th goal. It will be great if he can score more goals from freekicks like that.

Credit also to Lloris for that great save late in the match. Despite keeping a clean sheet, we still need to improve our defending. South China got too many chances to score which could have been costly against a decent team.

One disappointing thing was, we still haven't see Paulinho, Chadli, Sandro and Kaboul in friendly matches so far, especially the new players. we need to give more playing time for Paulinho and Chadli in the pre-season so that they gel with the team.

Tue 16 July7pmSwindon TownTottenham HotspurCounty Ground
Thu 18 July7.45pmKingstonianSpurs XIKingsmeadow Stadium
Fri 19 July7pmColchester UnitedTottenham HotspurWeston Homes Community Stadium
Wed 24 July6pm (11am BST)Tottenham HotspurSunderlandHong Kong
Sat 27 July6pm (11am BST) or 8.30pm (1.30pm BST)Third-place play-off or FinalHong Kong
Wed 31 July7.30pmMK DonsSpurs XIStadium:MK
Sat 3 August6.30pm (5.30pm BST)AS MonacoTottenham HotspurStade Louis II
Wed 7 August7.45pmCambridge CitySpurs XIThe Glass World Stadium
Sat 10 August5.30pmTottenham HotspurEspanyolWhite Hart Lane

So, Monaco and Espanyol are the only competitive matches left for us in pre-season ? Don't think that is enough for our new players to get used to the other players.

4-3-3 with a high line overlapping fullbacks can be very interesting with much more options today. I won't be surprised if we ended up with the two centre backs and 3 midfielders performing most of the defensive duties, and the wing backs joining in attack.

4-3-3 with a high line overlapping fullbacks can be very interesting with much more options today. I won't be surprised if we ended up with the two centre backs and 3 midfielders performing most of the defensive duties, and the wing backs joining in attack.

What do people think about Fryers?

A good crunching tackle and he bombed forward a couple of times but nobody passed to him.

But I thought both he and Caulker looked a bit exposed.

In Slovenia for a conference, but I'll be leaving for Monaco on Friday. I'll take some pictures and what not. Hope to see some of y'all there

Sigurdsson actually played mainly on the left, but occasionaly swapped posisitions with Dempsey, who was playing behind Defoe, in the first half.

Don't understand this... we bought Siggy on the back of his performances playing centrally for Swansea, and Dempsey on the back of his performances playing on the left for Fulham, and yet AVB always seems to have them in opposite roles when they play together.

Back