• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

While its obviously a case of Boris setting him up for poor PR, hes not wrong, is he?

Since when should the opposition avoid an election? And for how long can they get away with it?

While its obviously a case of Boris setting him up for poor PR, hes not wrong, is he?

Since when should the opposition avoid an election? And for how long can they get away with it?

because it's Boris! he cannot be trusted
there is no rush
I think November but don't think there is any rush!

I disagree.

We have opposition/the house running their own agenda against a minority government.

Fundamentally, no matter what side you support, thats just wrong and cannot continue.

A general election is the thing to break that deadlock, and ideally install a government with a proper majority and mandate, meaning the embarrassing and rather harmful brick going on now can be put to bed.

A GE is essential. ASAP.

Ordinarily, I would agree, but there is plenty of time!
But with Boris and Commings in the mix I would put nothing past them and would never trust Boris

Last edited:

Wait until the bill has royal assent and is enacted.
Otherwise Johnson can just change the election date.

There is a new motion for a GE on Monday and he's reiterated he won't change the date. But there is zero trust in him.
They'll have to include a one line bill on Monday to set in law that 15 Oct will be the election date

Wait until the bill has royal assent and is enacted.
Otherwise Johnson can just change the election date.

There is a new motion for a GE on Monday and he's reiterated he won't change the date. But there is zero trust in him.
They'll have to include a one line bill on Monday to set in law that 15 Oct will be the election date
What's to stop Johnson telling parliament he'll be recommending no assent unless there's a GE scheduled?

The only remedy to that is VoNC > election so he still gets his way.

If it gets assent (they've already confirmed it will) then they really have no excuse for not agreeing to an election. If Boris wins and repeals it then he'll be entitled to because the public have voted him in and given him a mandate to do so.

If it gets assent (they've already confirmed it will) then they really have no excuse for not agreeing to an election. If Boris wins and repeals it then he'll be entitled to because the public have voted him in and given him a mandate to do so.
I can't see Corbyn accepting the challenge. He doesn't have the cojones.

What's to stop Johnson telling parliament he'll be recommending no assent unless there's a GE scheduled?

The only remedy to that is VoNC > election so he still gets his way.
Nothing.
But he's card is going to run on "the people's priorities" and "trust in me to deliver democracy".
Not sending a bill passed by parliament would hugely affect the vote. Probably just reduce turnout rather than send the vote elsewhere, but you don't need that volatility right now.

Nothing.
But he's card is going to run on "the people's priorities" and "trust in me to deliver democracy".
Not sending a bill passed by parliament would hugely affect the vote. Probably just reduce turnout rather than send the vote elsewhere, but you don't need that volatility right now.
It would guarantee him the Brexit Party vote though - a significant number

It would guarantee him the Brexit Party vote though - a significant number
And it's exactly why Corbyn will hold off agreeing to an election.

It will look tyrannical. Yes it will the vote of some dogmatism Leavers, but loose a lot more. Few people will accept that level of trashing our democracy.
A smarter move would be to innact the extension. Agree to set 15 Oct in law for the election and make reversing the no no-deal an election promise.
Keep it democratic, maybe achieve a "stable" Govt.

And it's exactly why Corbyn will hold off agreeing to an election.

It will look tyrannical. Yes it will the vote of some dogmatism Leavers, but loose a lot more. Few people will accept that level of trashing our democracy.
A smarter move would be to innact the extension. Agree to set 15 Oct in law for the election and make reversing the no no-deal an election promise.
Keep it democratic, maybe achieve a "stable" Govt.
This election when it happens will be truly, truly nasty. Party lines will not matter a whole lot.

This election when it happens will be truly, truly nasty. Party lines will not matter a whole lot.
It's going to be a mess.
I expect a three party coalition to come out of it.
There were reports today that Sinn Fein are in talks to do election pacts to stop splitting the vote share to ensure DUP lose seats.

It's going to be a mess.
I expect a three party coalition to come out of it.
There were reports today that Sinn Fein are in talks to do election pacts to stop splitting the vote share to ensure DUP lose seats.
I've been listening to a few analysis on how the dominos might fall, a lot of it is contradictory actually. The thing is too fluid to predict, but the no-no-deal parties will need to sit down despite their differences.

I must read the Sinn Fein stuff.

Back